Thanksgiving Day in the US

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

awip2062

Thanksgiving Day in the US

Post by awip2062 »

Okay, since this Thursday is the annual Thanksgiving Day celebration, I thought I would post the first Thanksgiving Day Proclamation and the first one given by a president. Just as reference as to where this day of football comes from.

June 20, 1676

"The Holy God having by a long and Continual Series of his Afflictive dispensations in and by the present Warr with the Heathen Natives of this land, written and brought to pass bitter things against his own Covenant people in this wilderness, yet so that we evidently discern that in the midst of his judgements he hath remembered mercy, having remembered his Footstool in the day of his sore displeasure against us for our sins, with many singular Intimations of his Fatherly Compassion, and regard; reserving many of our Towns from Desolation Threatened, and attempted by the Enemy, and giving us especially of late with many of our Confederates many signal Advantages against them, without such Disadvantage to ourselves as formerly we have been sensible of, if it be the Lord's mercy that we are not consumed, It certainly bespeaks our positive Thankfulness, when our Enemies are in any measure disappointed or destroyed; and fearing the Lord should take notice under so many Intimations of his returning mercy, we should be found an Insensible people, as not standing before Him with Thanksgiving, as well as lading him with our Complaints in the time of pressing Afflictions:

The Council has thought meet to appoint and set apart the 29th day of this instant June, as a day of Solemn Thanksgiving and praise to God for such his Goodness and Favour, many Particulars of which mercy might be Instanced, but we doubt not those who are sensible of God's Afflictions, have been as diligent to espy him returning to us; and that the Lord may behold us as a People offering Praise and thereby glorifying Him; the Council doth commend it to the Respective Ministers, Elders and people of this Jurisdiction; Solemnly and seriously to keep the same Beseeching that being perswaded by the mercies of God we may all, even this whole people offer up our bodies and soulds as a living and acceptable Service unto God by Jesus Christ."

General Thanksgiving
By the PRESIDENT of the United States Of America

A PROCLAMATION

WHEREAS it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favour; and Whereas both Houfes of Congress have, by their joint committee, requefted me "to recommend to the people of the United States a DAY OF PUBLICK THANSGIVING and PRAYER, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to eftablifh a form of government for their safety and happiness:"

NOW THEREFORE, I do recommend and affign THURSDAY, the TWENTY-SIXTH DAY of NOVEMBER next, to be devoted by the people of thefe States to the fervice of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our fincere and humble thanksfor His kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the fignal and manifold mercies and the favorable interpofitions of His providence in the courfe and conclufion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty which we have fince enjoyed;-- for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enable to eftablish Conftitutions of government for our fafety and happinefs, and particularly the national one now lately instituted;-- for the civil and religious liberty with which we are bleffed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffufing useful knowledge;-- and, in general, for all the great and various favours which He has been pleafed to confer upon us.

And also, that we may then unite in moft humbly offering our prayers and fupplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and befeech Him to pardon our national and other tranfgreffions;-- to enable us all, whether in publick or private ftations, to perform our feveral and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a bleffing to all the people by conftantly being a Government of wife, juft, and conftitutional laws, difcreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all fovereigns and nations (especially fuch as have shewn kindnefs unto us); and to blefs them with good governments, peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increafe of fcience among them and us; and, generally to grant unto all mankind fuch a degree of temporal profperity as he alone knows to be beft.

GIVEN under my hand, at the city of New-York, the third day of October, in the year of our Lord, one thousand feven hundred and eighty-nine.

(signed) G. Washington
Onward and Upward!
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

that was hard to understand... ME will probably be able to decipher it as it sounds like something he would write.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

The first one was written in 1676 and the second in 1789, so both were before dear Noah Webster put out the first American dictionary. The spellings were quite different then, and the way they talked too, eh?
Onward and Upward!
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

You missed the small print:

"... and please let the Cowboys lose every Thanksgiving day game they partake in. Amen"
3 travelers

Post by 3 travelers »

Middle Kingdom wrote:You missed the small print:

"... and please let the Cowboys lose every Thanksgiving day game they partake in. Amen"
Nice buddy!!!!

Fugg the 'boys!!!!!
LEMME SHOW YA SUMTHIN....!!!!
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

pretty funny.... :-D :-D
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

I'm still laughing.............................. Nice one Stevie. :-D
This space for rent
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Shoot (nice, t, by the way) but I saw a docu on it recently and I think Roosevelt made it a national Holiday?

I have to look back. Anawees, all the fambly grumblings and weirdness shocking the table that we've heard aboot aside, a happy day to all.

I've got a TON to be thankful for this year. I saw both my brothers and their families (tough to do these days) and my sister and went to my brother's wedding and got to be a Godmommy for my other brother's child and, well, lot's of boring Non-Rush stuff.

When I was in Ireland we visited a friend of my significant's who ran a bar. His wife was an American from Pittsburgh (who had the same first name as me!) and we got talking as HIMSELF wanted me to move back there with him. She said what she missed MOST about America was Thanksgiving and that she and a bunch of American women got together and made a Thanksgiving in Ireland. With ALL the trimmings. At the time I was under enormous pressure to move there.

If I ever DO move there I know who to look up to share our day with. (bad grammar)

THANK you all. Good food and telling peeps you love them is a good thing. :-D (Who the HELL let Martha Stewart in here???)

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Great thoughts, Kares!

I know I have much to be thankful for. A brief list:
*my mom was told 3 years ago she had 3-5 years to live with no chance of any treatment, but she just found out that she may be able to get a surgery that will help her
*my kiddo and her new hubby will be coming home for Christmas
*all my kids are alive and well
*my husband and I are have been reconciled for four months and it is going great
*I have a great bunch of friends who care for me
*RUSH!
Onward and Upward!
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

awip2062 wrote:*RUSH!
Gettin' her priorities straight.

J/K, t. coolness.

Happy Thanksgiving. :)

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

LOL It is cool, Kares, it is cool.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here (in the US or not)!
Onward and Upward!
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

See, it rang true yesterday!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Wow! He answered with a yes!
Onward and Upward!
Julie

Post by Julie »

3 travelers wrote:

Nice buddy!!!!

Fugg the 'boys!!!!!
and the even smaller print of

RETURN JOHNNY HOT STUFF TO THE BOSOX!!! :-D