Woo.

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

anthem

Post by anthem »

it can be interesting to see creation vs. evolution debated so long as those involved are knowledgeable.

but what struck me about this thread was the subject line. "Woo." the author of the thread is celebrating a news story that said a theory was banned from being taught in schools.

when the theory of evolution was first taught in schools in the u.s., conservatives fought to have it banned. they wanted government to suppress certain ideas in order to keep them away from their children.

today liberals want the government to suppress certain ideas to keep them away from their children. apparently at one point or another, both sides think that school is about indoctrination, rather than education.

personally, i'm not into the idea of the government telling us what theories we can and can't learn, so long is it is understood that they are indeed theories. but the author of this thread celebrates government oppression of that kind. he must be thrilled that the chinese government is blocking websites that would make them look bad in a further attempt to keep their population ignorant.
rushlight

Post by rushlight »

Hello. :-) My boyfriend, The Devil's Advocate, likes to talk and debate in politics and religion. The title Woo is just a title. You shouldn't let that get to you.
I love my Welshman.
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

anthem wrote:it can be interesting to see creation vs. evolution debated so long as those involved are knowledgeable.
And civil. That's at least as important, because a lack of knowledge can be rectified much more easily than a lack of civility.
but what struck me about this thread was the subject line. "Woo." the author of the thread is celebrating a news story that said a theory was banned from being taught in schools.
In my opinion - and that of the court - ID is not a theory. It's a religion, and as such cannot legally be taught in state schools in the US.

The rejection of thinly-disguised religious superstition is a Good Thing for the educational standard of American children. That is cause for celebration. My choice of subject-line for this thread may legitimately be regarded as a little trite, but since I was only starting the thread as a means of "parking" the URL till I could post it elsewhere, I wasn't placing much of a priority on the title I used here.
when the theory of evolution was first taught in schools in the u.s., conservatives fought to have it banned. they wanted government to suppress certain ideas in order to keep them away from their children.
Yes, and they had young-earth creationism taught instead - in flagrant disregard for the constitution.
today liberals want the government to suppress certain ideas to keep them away from their children. apparently at one point or another, both sides think that school is about indoctrination, rather than education.
Not in the least. The recent Dover court case was about stopping science in science classes from being displaced by religion. The removal of science from children's education is not a good thing.
personally, i'm not into the idea of the government telling us what theories we can and can't learn, so long is it is understood that they are indeed theories.
But that's the thing: the court case found that ID is not a scientific theory.
but the author of this thread celebrates government oppression of that kind. he must be thrilled that the chinese government is blocking websites that would make them look bad in a further attempt to keep their population ignorant.
Interesting that you seem to think you know so much about me, just from the three-letter thread title.

Perhaps you should read the rest of my posts in this thread and elsewhere on the board before casting aspersions, hmm? And if you're going to accuse me of both being a liberal and supporting gov't oppression, you should first look up both terms. You'll find they're mutually incompatible.

Awip, I seem to have not replied to your last long post here. Would you like me to, or shall we agree to disagree?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

DA, with some things that have transpired recently with my mom, right now serious issues are things I would like to put aside.

I have traditionally used my time on boards as respites from all my responsibilities and the hard things of my life, although I have at some times gotten serious, such as with this. I come to the boards to laugh, have fun, be silly, joke about, and just be amongst friends who let me do those things.

I have loved being able to discuss this with you in a civil manner and I really appreciate that you have been respectful and never flamed me. That is quite refreshing. Thank you.

But for the recent news that has me concerned, I would be up to continuing on, but I think that at this time I should like to just shake hands, agree to disagree, and go away from this still friends.

Shake? *holds out hand*
Onward and Upward!
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

awip2062 wrote:... I think that at this time I should like to just shake hands, agree to disagree, and go away from this still friends.

Shake? *holds out hand*
Sure, no problem at all.

(shakes) 8)
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

:cool:

BTW..interesting name for our newbie poster up there.
Onward and Upward!
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

it must be a Rush thing :razz:
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

NO!

:shock:

I just thought the guy (or gal, yeah, I know it could be a chick newbie), liked Ayn.
Onward and Upward!
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

maybe, or maybe he likes Rush.. :razz: :-D
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Or, maybe it is not a dude named Anthem but it is really Equality 7-2521? The Unconquered? Or maybe a chick named Liberty 5-3000? The Golden One?

:roll:

I just hope no one breaks the light bulb.
Onward and Upward!
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

How many times have I told you not to post and smoke paoti? :-D :razz:
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

When you learn to spell it, maybe I will listen, White Man! *razz*

Says the forbidden word, just to bug you: I
Onward and Upward!
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

And I thought she was gonna say "Ne." :razz:
This space for rent
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Nee, I was not going to say Ni. The forbidden word was I.
Onward and Upward!
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

Educate me woman!!! How do you spell Paoti. :-D