Rainbow Sheep

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Fahrenheit 451

Rainbow Sheep

Post by Fahrenheit 451 »

A fireman's job is never done. Give me your books.

From The Times, Britian:
Why black sheep are barred and Humpty can't be cracked
By Alexandra Blair, Education Correspondent

TRADITIONAL nursery rhymes are being rewritten at nursery schools to avoid causing offence to children.
Instead of singing ?Baa baa, black sheep? as generations of children have learnt to do, toddlers in Oxfordshire are being taught to sing ?Baa baa, rainbow sheep?.

The move, which critics will seize on as an example of political correctness, was made after the nurseries decided to re-evaluate their approach to equal opportunities.

Stuart Chamberlain, manager of the Family Centre in Abingdon and the Sure Start centre in Sutton Courtenay, Oxfordshire, told the local Courier Journal newspaper: ?We have taken the equal opportunities approach to everything we do.

?This is fairly standard across nurseries. We are following stringent equal opportunities rules. No one should feel pointed out because of their race, gender or anything else.?

In keeping with the new approach, teachers at the nurseries have reportedly also changed the ending of Humpty Dumpty so as not to upset the children and dropped the seven dwarfs from the title of Snow White.

A spokesman for Ofsted, the watchdog which inspects Sure Start centres, confirmed that centres are expected to ?have regard to anti-discrimination good practice? and that staff should ?actively promote equality of opportunity?.

Gervase Duffield, a Conservative district councillor representing Sutton Courtenay and Appleford, denounced the ban as ridiculous.

?It?s the sort of thing that people continually do nowadays ? it?s become something of a curse,? he said. ?Why do people waste time and money doing this sort of thing when there are far more important things to think about when it comes to educating our children??

A mother whose daughter attends the Sure Start nursery at the Family Centre in Abingdon, who did not want to be named, said parents had been astonished by the change.

?Baa Baa, Black Sheep has been one of the most well-known nursery rhymes for generations. For people to come along and fiddle with it is ridiculous. What on earth is a rainbow sheep anyway?

?I?ve spoken to other parents about it and none of us has ever heard of anyone getting offended by the words ?black sheep?.?

This is not the first time, however, that the nursery rhyme ? written in 1744 satirising the taxes imposed on wool exports ? has fallen foul of political correctness. In 2000 Birmingham City Council tried to ban the rhyme, after claiming that it was racist and portrayed negative stereotypes. The council rescinded the ban after black parents said it was ludicrous.

Last year, a nursery school in Aberdeen caused uproar, when teachers changed the lyrics to ?Baa baa, happy sheep?.

Margaret Morrissey, of the National Confederation of Parent Teachers Association, said: ?It?s really sad. Children for generations have loved and enjoyed nursery rhymes and it?s very sad if adult political correctness doesn?t allow them to grow up in an unbiased world.?

A DfES spokesperson said: ?We don?t support this approach to the teaching of traditional nursery rhymes, but any such decision would be taken locally.?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Oh give me a break! Baa baa black sheep is offensive? As a child I recall the black sheep in that rhyme as being a postive image. He did his job. He had wool for his master, dame, and even the little boy down the lane. I always thought it a bit odd he had the wool for the little boy, but I never saw anything negative about the sheep.

Being short, I never was offended by the Seven Dwarfs. After all, they were hard working and took care of Snow White. Their dedication to her was admirable.

Humpty Dumpty taught me that sometimes things can't be broken.

*grumbles as she walks away*
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

living near the most politically correct city in the free world, I gotta play Pontius Pilate, and wash my hands of that one...oy vey...

that's as bad as the p.c.'s here, wanting to change the name of the Washington Redskins to the Washington "Native Americans"....

WHEN WILL IT END? huh? what? :lol: :D :-D
Don't start none...won't be none.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

As a "Native American" I HATE the calls to change the names and mascots. I LIKE the image the Indians baseball team has and I am not offended in the least by the WA Redskins.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

God bless ya awip...you're definitely the exception and not the rule :-D
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

There are many like me, but unfortunately the most vocal are of the other opinion.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

I agree with you on that one....*pass the creamer please....thanks*
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Here you go. *passes the creamer* Sugar too?

*mumbles as she passes* What has become of common sense?
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

*just a scoche...I'm lowering my carbs you know*

common sense went away with two-parent families if you ask me...yikes
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

*holds tongue*
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

don't mean to ruffle feathers....but some know how to do it, while others just give up and let the kids go hog wild...agree? I mean, how much COMMON sense(not STREET sense, as some would like to argue)can one retain when they do what they please with no consequence and no remorse? :razz: :-D

okok....I ranted....don't tear up my adoptoin papers just yet :-D
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

awip2062 wrote:As a "Native American" I HATE the calls to change the names and mascots. I LIKE the image the Indians baseball team has and I am not offended in the least by the WA Redskins.
You should be offended by the Redskins. Hell, any football fan should be offended. They suck. :razz:
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

by-tor by-tor by-tor.....with a logo like THAT on your avatar, aren't you being the "pot-that-called-the-kettle-black?"... :-D

hey, one good burn deserves another :-D
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I have no idea how the team plays, By-Tor, but...thanks...I think. LOL
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

*by-tor takes his ball and glove and goes home* :razz: