Evangelists turn pro sports into Jesus commercials

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

DoctorX

Post by DoctorX »

awip2062 wrote:LOL Yep! Yet another BT family member to engage in our fun debates.

Oh, and Dr., just so you know. Disagreement from me doesn't mean I hate ya. Soups, Ogg, DA, et cetera, we all discuss, we don't all agree, but we are all Rushians and we CAN all still get along.
That's nice to know. I go for discussion over debate. I'm here to exchange ideas, not prove people wrong. The latter tactic never accomplishes anything.

And I believe in human rights before politics. I happen to be a liberal, but I oppose all organizations which wield public power in the name of self-interest. Democracy is the only defense of civil rights from private power.
Strength and beauty destined to decay
so cut the rose in full bloom.
Till the fearless come and the act is done
A love like blood
a love like blood

~Killing Joke~
schuette

Post by schuette »

say anything bad about the Scottish and I'll hate you though

....j/k :-D
DoctorX

Post by DoctorX »

Geroff muy laaaaaaaaand!

(sorry, I couldn't resist)
A love like blood
a love like blood

~Killing Joke~
schuette

Post by schuette »

and on the subject of sheep.....it's why the Scots wear kilts...the sound of the zipper alerts the sheep ;)
DoctorX

Post by DoctorX »

Well a Scotsman clad in kilt left a bar one evening fair
And one could tell by how he walked the he'd drunk more than his share
He fumbled 'round until he could no longer keep his feet
And he stumbled off in to the grass to sleep beside the street

Ring-ding didle idle i de-o
Ring dye didley i oh
He stumbled off in to the grass to sleep beside the street

About that time two young and lovely girls just happened by
One says to the other, with a twinkle in her eye

"See yon sleeping Scotsman, so strong an' handsome built?
I wonder if it's true what they don't wear beneath the kilt."

Ring dye didley i oh
I wonder if it's true what they don't wear beneath the kilt

They crept up on that sleeping Scotsman quiet as could be
Lifted up his kilt about an inch so they could see
And there, behold, for them to view beneath his Scotish skirt
Was nothing more than God had graced him with upon his birth

Ring dye didley i oh
Was nothing more than God had graced him with upon his birth

They marveled for a moment, then one said "We must be gone.
Let's leave a present for our friend before we move along"
As a gift they left a blue silk ribbon tied in to a bow
Around the bonnie star the Scot's kilt did lift and show

Ring-ding didle iidle i de-o
Ring dye didley i oh
Around the bonnie star the scot's kilt did lift and show

Now the Scotsman woke to nature's call and stumbled towards the trees
Behind the bush he lifts his kilt, and gawks at what he sees
And in a startled voice he says, to what's before his eyes,
"Lad, I don't know where ya been, but I see you've won first prize"

Ring dye didley i oh
Lad, I don't know where you've been, but I see you've won first prize

------------------------------------

Kilts meant something else in my adolesence. It's no mistake that many school uniforms have plaid skirts and white button-down shirts. The raw sensuality of argyle socks, and the plain sensability of a nosering. :razz:
A love like blood
a love like blood

~Killing Joke~
schuette

Post by schuette »

DoctorX wrote:

Kilts meant something else in my adolesence. It's no mistake that many school uniforms have plaid skirts and white button-down shirts. The raw sensuality of argyle socks, and the plain sensability of a nosering. :razz:
since over here it's only really the guys that wear kilts that's quite scary :razz:

You should venture into the useless nonsense bit....the poem/song would have fitted in well there.....in fact come to the pub 'Schu's Pit-stop' and I'll give you a free drink :-D
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

DoctorX wrote: Lad, I don't know where you've been, but I see you've won first prize
Oh my GED! :shock: I was just quoting this line to my husband this evening on a trip in town! ROFL
Onward and Upward!
schuette

Post by schuette »

so he's well endowed ;)

jings its amazing how things get off topic on this board :-D
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I must disagree with you Dr. Sex kills people all the time. I have friends who moved to Africa to care for scores of orphans, all orphaned due to AIDS. My mother worked as a nurse for decades. She has watched people die of AIDS, adults infected as a result of their behaviour, children infected from their mothers, as well as those infected due to transfusions, and those infected due to recreational IV drug use. I have sat with her many a time as she cried over losing another patient. Now, some of those people died from a disease that had nothing to do with their behaviour, but some died as a result of their mother's behaviour, but most died because of their behaviour. And some of the people I speak of were close to my mom. In fact, one was the man who wanted to take over the job my dad left. He was one of the first AIDS victims to die. I cannot agree that sex rarely kills. And AIDS is only ONE way sex kills.

I will not say that I am in agreement with The War on Drugs. But I am not in favour of much of their use. I can go along with a bit of weed smoked in one's home when the day is done, sitting around, hanging out with friends and family. No biggie. I think it can be used responsibly. Meth, on the other hand, *shudders* is destroying the town I live in. Over 90% of the children (I believe that the statistic is closer to nearly 99%, but I know it is over 90%), in foster care in this town are in it because of meth. It is a culture of death.

Alcohol, well, I saw that destroy my family when I was a child and I nearly saw it destroy my marriage. I hvea also seen many deaths occur from the mis-use of alcohol (and marijuana).

Do I think that we should outlaw alcohol? No, because I know it CAN be used responsibly. But, I do not want the excessive use of it portrayed as a positive thing, either.

I have never seen that movie you mention, but it does not depict what I am talking about. What I am talking about is relationship with G-d, not religion. I believe that the greatest commandment is to love G-d with all my heart, mind, soul, and body, and the second is like unto it: love my neighbor as myself. I don't always succeed, but this is the life I choose. I believe that is what the Bible really teaches.

That little Jewish man who kicked out the money changers, He is my Lord. He isn't so quaint and funny when you look at who He really is, rather than looking at who people SAY He really is.
Onward and Upward!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

schuette wrote:so he's well endowed ;)

jings its amazing how things get off topic on this board :-D
TO him, Schu. I saw a blue ribbon on a post and wondered about it, it reminded me of the song, and I quoted. *sigh*
Onward and Upward!
schuette

Post by schuette »

I'm not gonna comment on the sex does kill thingy.....I disagree t...when it comes to aids we are talking extreme....and it's not not safe natural sex that has caused AIDS.....okai I commented....

what I cant understand is when you say 'What I am talking about is relationship with G-d, not religion'.......if God is not religion then what is it...?
DoctorX

Post by DoctorX »

The defense of the "personal relationship with God" was the central theme of Luthor and Calvin's protestant reformation. This actually makes it a main element of American Christianity, as Americans have a protestant majority. Calvin and Luthor sought to overthrow the broad powers and sweeping authority of the Catholic church, which had led to civil wars, torture, massacres, and more than a few political battles. The theory was that if the power of religious leaders could be reduced, it would eliminate the friction between the church, the state, and the people.

It is not a slight to look back on this conclusion as erroneous. The problems of theology are like the heads of hydra. Kill one, and two more take its place. Luthor and Calvin could hardly have forseen the emergance of the DNA molecule, the effects of astrophysics and geology on the scientific revolution, or the pervassive nature of biblical fundimentalism.

I find the American rate of alcoholism and addiction to heroin, cocaine, and crystal meth troubling as well, but I cannot advocate religious adherance as the answer. Too often have I heard these problems described as symptoms of "moral decay," with Christianity prescribed as the answer to all modern social ills. When will the religious accept that their dogma has never been a solution to social injustice? Replacing alcoholism and drug addiction with religious obsession is only trading one behavioral disease for another.

And it's too late, and I'm too tired to get into the issue of religion and sexual hypocrisy. St. Augustine and the whore/Madonna complex take up far too much of my time and energy as it is. :???:
A love like blood
a love like blood

~Killing Joke~
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

Sex kills? I thought AIDS was the killer not the sex. Now having sex with just whomever and unprotected is stupid and I don't think anyone here wants to promote that.

And DoctorX...AMEN to what you said about the war on drugs and organized religeon. :-D :-D :-D I'm 100% with you on that.
We're all mad here!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

schuette wrote:I'm not gonna comment on the sex does kill thingy.....I disagree t...when it comes to aids we are talking extreme....and it's not not safe natural sex that has caused AIDS.....okai I commented....
AIDS is extreme, and it is killing off large portions of the population of Africa. In Africa it is primarily "natural" sex that is causing the spread now.

Safe, well, the only truly safe sex is one man one woman for life, so, I have to go with ya on that part of your statement. Anything else leaves you open to chances of contracting AIDS. Even condoms break, after all.

I think that we see AIDS differently because I have personally seen the results of AIDS; perhaps you have not? And I have seen it more than once. In America, not just in letters from my friends in Africa. Perhaps you have yet to lose someone to it or watch someone you love watch someone they love to it.
Onward and Upward!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

schuette wrote:what I cant understand is when you say 'What I am talking about is relationship with G-d, not religion'.......if God is not religion then what is it...?
Good question. This is what I believe, others see it differently, but I speak for myself.

I believe G-d is not religion, not an "it," but rather I believe He is a real being.

"Religion" is a set of laws, a set of rules, of do's and don't's that you have to follow. I don't go there.

What I do is get to know G-d, as best I can get to know a being able to speak and create all we see and all we don't see, and to interact with Him on a daily basis. I try to live my life in a way that will please Him, because I love Him. Like a wife wants to please her husband, because she loves him.
Onward and Upward!