Al Gore's Movie

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I loved his speech. A bit of reading, but if anyone is interested in it, you can read it here:

http://www.canadafreepress.com/2006/tgr092606.htm
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

This from AFP this morning:
Politician-environmentalist Al Gore made a mock attempt at announcing his candidacy for the US presidency at Sunday's Oscars but was yanked from the stage before he could get the words out.
Queried on stage by actor Leonardo DiCaprio whether he had a "major, major announcement to the world here tonight," former vice president Gore, whose film "An Inconvenient Truth" is nominated for an Academy Award, hesitated, and then pulled out an apparent statement to read.

"Since being up here, you've been very convincing," the Democrat told the audience.

"Even though I honestly had not planned on doing this, I guess with a billion people watching, it's as good as time as any. So, my fellow Americans, I'm going to take this opportunity right here and now to formally announce my intention..."

But suddenly the Oscars orchestra struck up its keynote tune, signalling that Gore and DiCaprio had overstayed their time and had to leave the stage -- and leave the mystery of Gore's intentions for the 2008 race still unanswered.

Gore, vice president under Bill Clinton, narrowly lost the 2000 presidential race to now-president George W. Bush.

Despite the speculation, Gore has repeatedly denied he intends to run for the Democratic nomination in next year's race.
I wonder if he was really going to do it...
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Or was it all planned in fun to get people talking and draw attention?
Onward and Upward!
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

I heard that in an interview before the Oscars he said he was 99% sure he wouldn't run again. Very political sounding.

Saw him interviewed this morning (interview last night) after the Oscars for GMA and they laughed about the joke on the awards show. But Robin Roberts did ask asked if he planned to run. He said he had no plans to run but was committed to getting out the message of Global Warming.

Hmmmm....

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

awip2062 wrote:Or was it all planned in fun to get people talking and draw attention?
Yeah, it coulda been a gag.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

So, is Al Gore the new Pope? Like how the Catholic church used to sell indulgences to rich people who had sinned?
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

awip2062 wrote:So, is Al Gore the new Pope? Like how the Catholic church used to sell indulgences to rich people who had sinned?
LOL!!!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

awip2062 wrote:So, is Al Gore the new Pope? Like how the Catholic church used to sell indulgences to rich people who had sinned?
I dunno about the Pope... but some congressman did call him a prophet last week.
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

Gore is a dufus. Even he isn't stupid enough to run in 08. He has made too much controversy about global warming to be considered serious about anything political. Even HE knows it.

He should stick to his science fiction movies.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Ah, America. Land of opportunity and opinion. Fair enough. Still, the guy is expressing care for his fellow humans (even those who vilify him) and his planet. I have tried, but can't work out how that makes him a bad guy, a stupid guy or even stricken with dufusitis.

Again, that's what makes this country what it is; Free (to a degree).

Here is a related bit of hilarity:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4iHan7BjqY
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

The problem, is that Gore is raising a great deal more hysteria and hype than he is legitimate science.

Having a strong scientific background, I could go on with a bunch of smart sounding drivel to explain my point, but I can sum it up by simply stating that he should ged his facts straight before he states something as a fact.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

PRAGUE ? Czech President Vaclav Klaus said on Wednesday that fighting global warming has turned into a a 'religion' that replaced the ideology of communism and threatens to clip basic freedoms.
The right-wing president, a free-market champion, wrote to the U.S. Congress that adopting tough environmental policies to fight climate change would have destructive impact on national economies.

'Communism has been replaced by the threat of an ambitious environmentalism,' Klaus wrote in response to questions from the U.S. House of Representatives' Committee on Energy and Commerce.
The more I hear the man-made global warming thing described as a religion, the more sense that description makes to me. All the complaints I have about it sound so much like the complaints that so many have about my religion. The biggest one being that it is scientifically unverifiable.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Very eloquently said, Elf. A strikingly objective observation.

I have half-a mind now to go to church on Sunday...it's the other half keeping me in bed :-)
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Big Blue Owl wrote:Very eloquently said, Elf. A strikingly objective observation.

I have half-a mind now to go to church on Sunday...it's the other half keeping me in bed :-)
LOL!!!

For some reason that reminded me of Alex Lifeson...

"It's true, I quit smoking. It's second hand smoke that I worry about now. My second hand... that always has a cigarette in it!" :-D
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

He who denied it, supplied it

Is Bush responsible for adding to the global warming religion?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3751074196