A saint for everything but premature ejaculation...

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

DoctorX

A saint for everything but premature ejaculation...

Post by DoctorX »

...and that's coming soon!

Where did Christianity get these bizarre hang-ups regarding sex? I'd point my finger at the first Vatican council. The vow of celibacy was added in the middle ages, to increase the standing of priests among the public, amid rampant accusations of impropriety. At the time, celibacy was a higly regarded moral stance, as the culture of Europe in the middle ages widely villified sex. One of the main proponants of celibacy was St. Augustine.

No, I'm not going to pretend that I'm a biblical schollar. I have, however, read quite a bit of biographical information on Augustine. He certainly did love the pussy, before he decided that lust was carnal and evil. It's systematic of a lot of Catholic irony. I fail to see what evil comes from consenting adults finding pleasure together. The social evils of fornication are naught, compared to the physical violence of sexual repression. Anyone ever seen a serial killer? Their concept of sex is the same feeling of shame and disgust , taken to the n'th degree.

Thus comes the belief that sex is intended purely for procreation. The passage "go forth and multiply" is cited, making oral sex, vasectomy, and masturbation sinful too. If your hormones, which any supposed God designed you to have, act up and you masturbate, are you really sinning? Is there any real definition for "sin?" Which is more wrong, going against the doctrines of the church, or maintaining a respectful attitude for the health and dignity of your neighbors? There's a socially healthy context to masturbation. You don't avoid healthy relationships just so you can spank your monkey, but fearing these natural impulses and calling them "sin" only reflects ignorance about yourself. Nothing in the Bible prohibits masturbation. It was made sinful by the Church for political reasons, decreed by guilt-ridden theologians like Augustine. Incidentally, he castrated himself. That also goes against church teaching.

A most unsettling thought, our modern understanding of sexuality has not caused the church to rethink it's abhorence for masturbation or sex. Conservative Christians are called to feel terrible pain and guilt about sex. In Catholicism, this has led to the rise of "cafeteria Catholics:" people who pick and choose when they listen to the church. It's really the only logical solution. The Church is perfectly aware that sex is not itself inherently destructive, nor is it "evil" (reading Papal Encyclicals on sex will show you that), but they still harp upon the bedroom like it's some great dungeon of evil. Part of it is based on the writings of St. Paul, and part of it is based on teachings which surfaced in the middle ages, and part of it is based on a reactionary response to society's openness to sex.

In fact, the bible itself does not explicitly ban premarital sex between single, heterosexual couples (whereas, the Church's view of sexuality would cause one to think that this was, in fact, the case). The church's modern position on coupalation surfaced out of secular political governments regulating sex. This is supported by the fact that marriage was not defined as a sacrament until the middle ages, and in fact many supposedly holy men of that time had either multiple wives, harems, or concubines (for instance, Charlemagne.)

As a former Catholic, I've made my peace with the church. My former faith has done some positive things for me, but there remain several disgustingly repressive, creepy, and anti-intellectual strains of thought within the diocese. It's too much for me to ignore. The old spectre of European theocracy is still too strong in the Vatican, and I fear much of the clergy still get off on controling their flock through harassment and intimidation.

Like in this instance.

RELIGION
Nebraska Catholics warned of alliances
Published March 11, 2005

LINCOLN, Neb. -- The Vatican has let stand a 1996 order from Lincoln Bishop Fabian Bruskewitz that his parishioners must sever ties with 12 groups or face possible excommunication, the Lincoln diocese said.
Among the groups are the lay reform organization Call to Action, abortion-rights advocates Planned Parenthood and Catholics for a Free Choice, and several Masonic organizations. Bruskewitz said the groups contradict Roman Catholic teaching.

An appeal was filed with the Vatican, but the Holy See notified the bishop that the appeal was rejected, said Rev. Mark Huber, a spokesman for the diocese.

Huber said last week that Catholics who affiliate with the groups have two months to sever ties with them. Bruskewitz has said that parishioners must search their consciences to decide whether the warning applies to them.
Excommunication is a severe penalty under which Catholics cannot receive Holy Communion, or be married or buried in the church. They can, however, restore their communion with the church through confession.
Link
Strength and beauty destined to decay
so cut the rose in full bloom.
Till the fearless come and the act is done
A love like blood
a love like blood

~Killing Joke~
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Whoa, boy, you brought up a big one here. But, okay I'm game. I guess.

First off, the RC is the only Christian denomination that I know of that has the celbacy rules. There may be others that I don't know of though.

I have always thought it was strange that they held that teaching, since their first pope, Peter, was married. It was his mother-in-law that Christ healed at one time, after all.

I understand the teachings of Paul about how if you are not married you have more abilitly to devote yourself entirely to ministry, but Paul never said one HAD to be single in order to lead in the church. And, yes, I have read the whole Bible. More than once.

In reading the whole Bible though, I do know that there are prohibitions against sex outside of marriage, even for people who are single. In the Old Testament law, if a man lay with a single woman, he was required to marry her.

Time and again in the New Testament we are told that fornication is something we should not engage in and that word would cover pre-marital as well as extra-marital sex.

Nowhere in the Bible though, is masturbation mentioned. Some people say it is, but they base that on a story in the Bible in which the man was not even masturbating.
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Quite a post there. And while it's something I wouldn't really want to discuss at length in a forum like this, I can still throw in 2 cents worth...

The New Testament appears to use the words "fornication" and "adultery" interchangeably. That would certainly cover any form of extra-marital sex.

The Savior taught us a bit more about keeping our thoughts pure.

?Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:

?But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.? (Matt. 5:27?28.)

One certainly has to take his mind (or heart) places when masturbating. Also in the New Testament we see this statement which seems to be talking directly about mastubation among other things:

?Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves? (Rom. 1:24).

The spirit of the law of chastity is about keeping both our minds and our bodies clean.

Let's look at a few words and what they mean:

Sacrifice has changed over the years, but literally means to make something Sacred.

Sacrament is something that has been made Sacred.

So, to put the law of chastity into everyday life, one would sacrifice sexual activity before marriage, thus making what takes place between the married couple a sacrament. It would be something made sacred between the two of them.

That's how I see it anyway.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

And by keeping sex a thing only happening one on one for life...you sure do reduce your worries about lots of problems.
Onward and Upward!