Bird Flu Hoax

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Xanadu

Bird Flu Hoax

Post by Xanadu »

We're all mad here!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

My motto on the whole thing for the past couple of months has been, "Just don't touch or ingest bird poop".
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

So it hasn't spread quite as fast as was once feared. And (apart from that family in the news a day or two ago) it hasn't yet developed the ability to spread from one human to another.

Does that make it a hoax?
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

ElfDude wrote:My motto on the whole thing for the past couple of months has been, "Just don't touch or ingest bird poop".
It's crazy... but It Might Just Work!!! :P
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

So, lets fling bird poop at deathrow inmates and........................kidding. :razz:
This space for rent
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Devil's Advocate wrote:So it hasn't spread quite as fast as was once feared. And (apart from that family in the news a day or two ago) it hasn't yet developed the ability to spread from one human to another.

Does that make it a hoax?
The part that bothers me is not that they tell us it could happen. What bugs me is the way the media has played it up and made movies showing tens of thousands of people dying, our whole society coming apart, all that, when, while, yes, there is a chance of it happening that way, chances are also good that there be less trouble.

To that extent, yes it is a hoax.
Onward and Upward!
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

Aye...there are probably many viruses that could potentially jump to humans...they picked one and then depicted it as a real threat above all and did all this scrambling to make vaccines and shit :roll: another one of Bush's great things...

People are so easily coherced and controlled with fear.
We're all mad here!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Xanadu wrote:Aye...there are probably many viruses that could potentially jump to humans...they picked one and then depicted it as a real threat above all and did all this scrambling to make vaccines and shit :roll: another one of Bush's great things...

People are so easily coherced and controlled with fear.
Aw, let's be a little bit fair. Bush didn't create the hype, though he did react to it. But he was in a no-win situation with this one. If he'd said, "I don't think we really need to worry about this" and then people had started dying, what would the public reaction have been? On the other hand, by allocating funds for vaccine research, he played it safe. Now that we appear to have dodged the bullet, it's very easy to say, "What a waste of money!" I'm glad I'm not in his position. But I think he did what pretty much any president would have doen under the circumstances.

But I can't disagree about being coerced with fear. "And the things that they fear are a weapon to be held against them".
Last edited by ElfDude on Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

Yeah...it would look bad if he ignored something so publicized...but what came first the chicken or the egg?
We're all mad here!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Bush also isn't the only one to react to the hype. Other nations have as well, I understand.

As for your q, Xan...I think it was the chicken.
Onward and Upward!
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

But didn't dinosaurs lay eggs before chickens did? :razz:
We're all mad here!
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Details, details, details. :-D
This space for rent
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Xanny, I would have to believe in evolution to agree with that.
Onward and Upward!
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

Och, even without evolution...there weren't bird fossils during the dino age...until the end where there were bird like dinos :razz:
We're all mad here!
Walkinghairball

But the Dino's also laid eggs, soooooooooooooooooooooooooo, the chicken had to come after the egg.
This space for rent