Bird Flu Hoax

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

LOL!

As much as I love the G man... I have to give credit where credit is due. From John 8:

31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Ooooooooooooooops, Elfie! Looks like we double-posted.
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

I KNEW my mom gave me my St. Jude necklace for a reason! :headbang:

thanks for the clarification Elfie...YOU ARE THE MAN :cool:
Don't start none...won't be none.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

thank you too t...but I can't call you THE MAN....

you just get this: ((((((t)))))) heeheeheehee
Don't start none...won't be none.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

No worries, Siggs, I am not offended. But, I DO do hugs! :-D

(((((((((((((((Siggs))))))))))))))))
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

CygnusX1 wrote:I KNEW my mom gave me my St. Jude necklace for a reason! :headbang:

thanks for the clarification Elfie...YOU ARE THE MAN :cool:
Stick it to the man!!!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

*moshes about* I am the man!
Onward and Upward!
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

Soup4Rush wrote:DA, I think you are a really smart dude, far smarter than I will ever hope to be, but man that "God is a liar" stuff is out in left field.
I suggest you read the last part of my previous post. The post you quoted when you first made your puerile threat of hellfire. :roll:

To reiterate: I no more think the Christian God is a liar than that Santa comes down the chimney.
ElfDude wrote:This is a debating tactic used by a lot of extremist groups. The one in which I've observed it the most would be the neo-nazis. As soon as they are confronted with something that makes Hitler look bad, like the holocaust ...
Ever heard of Godwin's Law?
awip2062 wrote:DA, creating the earth as a mature planet would not be lying anymore than it was a lie for Him to create Adam an adult. So there were already mountains and canyons and mature forests, that is not a lie.

I just don't get your logic here.
It's not merely the mountains and valleys, and adult animals and people. It's the geology and cosmology, the craters and the dust on the moon, the fossil record, genetics, archaeology and just about every other branch of human knowledge. It all says the Earth and the Universe are old.

If the Earth and Universe were in fact young, then all of that evidence would have to be fake. And since, according to your theology, that evidence was put there by God, that can only mean that the fraud was perpetrated by God. But since your theology also says that God cannot lie, we have a contradiction that can only be fixed by concluding that the god defined by you and your theology does not exist.

The truth can indeed set you free - free from bondage to nonsensical bronze age mythologies. It's such a shame that the people who like to quote that line invariably seem to prefer to read the book it came from than to actually engage with reality and find out what the truth really is.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

You say the evidence points to an old earth. I say that it is not true, that is how some choose to interpret what they see.

You say that Steve Austin is lying. I say that there are scientists out there who do not agree with his research, but I do not see that he is outright, intentionally, purposefully putting out falsehoods. I agree he could be wrong, but I will not say he is a liar.

To say that I or Elf or anyone else chooses to keep our noses in a book and not interact with and find out what reality really is....*sigh*
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Nope, I hadn't heard of Godwin's Law. I looked it up. Cute. I like it. It shows what's going on every time a liberal says that George W. Bush is no different than Hitler. Since they can no longer compete in the arena of ideas and say anything substantive, they just say that Bush is Hitler. Cool.

However, if you read the post, I did not compare you to the nazis or to Hitler. I was addressing tactics and strategies of debate, and where I commonly see this one in particular used frequently. When an illustration of someone's research (or whatever) is put forth as an aid to strengthen one's position, and the opposition simply states, "Well... that's a lie", they have done nothing more than make a gratuitous assertion. But a gratuitous assertion can be gratuitously denied.
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

Devil's Advocate wrote:
Soup4Rush wrote:DA, I think you are a really smart dude, far smarter than I will ever hope to be, but man that "God is a liar" stuff is out in left field.
I suggest you read the last part of my previous post. The post you quoted when you first made your puerile threat of hellfire. :roll:

To reiterate: I no more think the Christian God is a liar than that Santa comes down the chimney.
ElfDude wrote:This is a debating tactic used by a lot of extremist groups. The one in which I've observed it the most would be the neo-nazis. As soon as they are confronted with something that makes Hitler look bad, like the holocaust ...
Ever heard of Godwin's Law?

awip2062 wrote:DA, creating the earth as a mature planet would not be lying anymore than it was a lie for Him to create Adam an adult. So there were already mountains and canyons and mature forests, that is not a lie.

I just don't get your logic here.
It's not merely the mountains and valleys, and adult animals and people. It's the geology and cosmology, the craters and the dust on the moon, the fossil record, genetics, archaeology and just about every other branch of human knowledge. It all says the Earth and the Universe are old.

If the Earth and Universe were in fact young, then all of that evidence would have to be fake. And since, according to your theology, that evidence was put there by God, that can only mean that the fraud was perpetrated by God. But since your theology also says that God cannot lie, we have a contradiction that can only be fixed by concluding that the god defined by you and your theology does not exist.

The truth can indeed set you free - free from bondage to nonsensical bronze age mythologies. It's such a shame that the people who like to quote that line invariably seem to prefer to read the book it came from than to actually engage with reality and find out what the truth really is.
What does puerile mean?
Happy 2015!
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

awip2062 wrote:You say that Steve Austin is lying. I say that there are scientists out there who do not agree with his research, but I do not see that he is outright, intentionally, purposefully putting out falsehoods. I agree he could be wrong, but I will not say he is a liar.
The problem with Austin is not directly in his conclusions. It's in his knowing use of a lab that could not accurately date a sample as young as those he sent it.
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

never mind I looked it up. I think I was zinged. Sorry for the poor attempt at humor. I thought that would make you laugh DA. :-)
Happy 2015!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Soup4Rush wrote:What does puerile mean?
Juvenile, childish.

Ya stupid kid, ya!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Maybe Soupy needs duct tape? To keep him in control, that is, since he is being so childish?

Or maybe I just need to duct tape something to feel in control?

Or maybe I am just wanting to duct tape something so you all will think I am tougher than I am?

Or maybe......ah never mind!

DA, I am not going to go back into the debate about why Dr. Austin chose to use that test.
Onward and Upward!