World Cup 2006 Germany (Congratulations Italy)

Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, it's all here

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

schuette

Post by schuette »

when was this changed to a political thread....? :?
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

schuette wrote:when was this changed to a political thread....? :?
No politics. Just stereotype humor. :-D
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

I do not see the politics in World Cup babes. :razz: BTW I may move to Brazil.. Hubba Hubba..
Happy 2015!
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

Devil's Advocate wrote:I don't know much about the World Cup, but I'm fairly sure there's never been an occasion when the US progressed further than France.
Believe it or not, there have been two occasions where the USA have got further than France in a World Cup Finals.

During the first ever finals in 1930, the USA were semi-finalists while France did not even progress past the group stage while, in 2002, France once again failed to get past the group stage while the USA were beaten 1-0 by Germany in the Quarter Fianls.
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

And I say this in a totally joking tone...........................

IN YER FACE DA!!!!!! :-D :razz: :-D :razz: :-D :razz: :-D :razz: :-D
This space for rent
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Two times in over 70 years isn't much to boast about... :)
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

2 Times is still better than never. :-D :razz: :-D :razz:
This space for rent
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

Besides, if it involves having a dig at the French it can't be that bad a thing :-D
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
Walkinghairball

Slaine mac Roth wrote:Besides, if it involves having a dig at the French it can't be that bad a thing :-D

Well said Slaine, well said. :-D
This space for rent
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

A month ago, if someone said Italy would win, I'd say:

(forgive my Italian...this is Philadelphia slang) "bonya lugots a metrion"

(when my prick grows a fingernail) :headbang:
Don't start none...won't be none.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

In all fairness, I lived in France in '82-83. I loved it there. Loved it. It's always fun to mock the French, but I have a very soft spot in my heart for that country, along with Belgium where I also stayed.

Having said that, in my experience the adults there often did live up to the image with which they are stereotyped around the world. The teenagers, on the other hand, were very cool... great company.

It makes me feel really old to think that those same teenagers are now approaching middle-age, and I often wonder what they're like these days.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Well, I was on liberty in Nice, and the French THERE loved to slam us...they frowned most of the time, and talked trash and snickered amongst themselves when we were around...were you ever in Nice?

Yeah....it's NICE alright...IMHO, the French will slam an American every chance they get...I'd like to repay the favor, but that's another thread... :-D

But I don't worry...they'll need bailing out again, and that's when they'll get their comeuppance :razz:
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I lived up north. But yeah, I was treated with great disdain while there (mostly by those over thirty though). I've never been stared at so hard, been given so many dirty looks, etc. And the stereotypes I mentioned were present (rude, smelly, etc.). But the kids were awesome!

You know, I also found that a lot of the adults warmed up when they heard me speak and heard that I was really trying to speak their language properly, rather than with an American drawl (or just expecting them to speak English to me, the way the illegals around here expect me to speak Spanish). They have a culture that's very proud of its language, and when they heard me trying to speak it well, they often became friendly and helpful. But not always. :)
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

my thoughts on the French

:smt097
Happy 2015!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

THANKYEEEEEEEEW Soupy!

Couldn't have said it better myself...:headbang:

And you're right Elfie...there's two sides to every issue, and I havta admit, the girls there made me melt--like buttah--when they spoke :-D