England Stirs...

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

zorro wrote:You mean the English can comment. Personally I don't care how they divide themselves, as long as they get tae f**k out of my Country!
Persoanlly, I think it was a big mistake to let Hadrians wall fall into disrepair.

Personally, I think they should send the Celts back to France and give the area called Scotland back to the Picts
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
Nunavuter

Post by Nunavuter »

Interesting perspectives.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but I often get the impression that people in the UK do not move around the country as much as the average person in North America.

It is not uncommon for a person to attend university hundreds or thousands of miles from home, or to relocate across the continent to pursue work, for example. This is actual more true for Americans than Canadians, but that is likely an artifact of there being more cities in the US to move to. (Canada has only eight major cities, and in two of them French is the main language).

In addition, in most major urban areas in North America, much of the population is likely to have been born elsewhere. In the case of Toronto, where I live, slightly more than half the population was born outside Canada, and many of the rest are from other places in Canada. The "roots" of the population in a given place are not as deep.

I often have the experience of mentioning some local event that happened in the 1970s or mid-1980s and the person I am talking to has no recollection of it, because they were living elsewhere at the time.
Nowhere Toronto, nowhere to hide

zorro

Post by zorro »

The English certainly know how to move about! It's becoming harder and harder for a Scot to find a place in a Scottish Uni. Despite us charging the English students for their priviledge. Some villages in the Highlands of Scotland are almost completely populated by English! Because of the way money flows in the UK a retiring couple can sell their 2-bed flat in the south of England for gazillions and then buy anything they want in the Highlands. Meanwhile, an increasing amount of Highland Scots who are old enough to move out of their parents house can be found..................in a caravan, at the bottom of the garden. It's a f***ing disgrace!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

LOL! Sounds like how my area is filling up with Californians. They sell a modest house in California for a completely absurd price, move here, and buy mansions with the capitol gains.

But I'm happy in my unibomber-style shack. No class envy here! :-D
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

You got a problem with Californians, Elfie?

*cries* ELFIE DOESN'T LOVE ME ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

awip2062 wrote:You got a problem with Californians, Elfie?

*cries* ELFIE DOESN'T LOVE ME ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You didn't build a mansion here.

And to tell you the truth, my only beef (okay, two beefs) with Californians here is the way they drive and the way they constantly whine and complain about the culture of the state. If you hate it so much, why did you come?

Better people
Better food
And better beer!
Why move around the world
When Eden was so near?
Me

Post by Me »

I think you are quite correct in your assumption?

With the advent of the pc there has been an increase in movement world wide, I would assume?
Other variables to consider; for example when Massachusetts implemented stricter welfare laws
There was an exodus from there? brilliant of the pompous yanks, to say the least!
Then there are government jobs that certain entities enjoy disrupting families, moving them along. Perhaps another study in a socio economic impact or scratching the governors? back? Then there are the snow birds, escaping winters wrath eventually moving
to warmer climates permanently. And of course jobs, education, love and the never ending search for peace of mind.

It sounded like the Scots still have clans? I assume this is not like the gangs we have here, but divided by culture?

http://www.grazianoforcongress.com/

http://www.fedstats.gov/
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Hey, Kev! It's good to se you back and posting! How are you holding up?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Hmmmmmmm....I guess you have no beef with me then, Elf, because I can like I am in Lost Angeles traffic, but don't unless I am in such traffic, and I neither whine nor complain about the culture of the area I live in.

Of course, being a piscatarian, how could you have beef with me? I suppose we should save it for someone who likes meat, eh? Like Kev! We can give Kev the beef to eat.

Kev? Would you like to BBQ this beef? Maybe make some kabobs with the veggies in your garden?
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

awip2062 wrote: Of course, being a piscatarian, how could you have beef with me? I suppose we should save it for someone who likes meat, eh?
Hey, I don't just like meat, I LOVE meat! I've just chosen not to eat it. The transitional cravings lasted for years. It was anything but easy.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

By loving meat but choosing not to eat it, you cannot have beef with me. *crosses arms and shakes head* Nopes, can't can't can't and can't never can.
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I guess I can't pick a bone either, can I?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Wouldn't be prudent at this juncture, Elf.

I have a toothpick you can use though.
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I guess I'll have to drop the colorful metaphors and say things like, "my only quarrel with..."
Last edited by ElfDude on Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

LOL Sorry. My bad.

Ummm...can I make it up to you by playing a bit of Yes?
Onward and Upward!