Veterans' Thread

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Me

Post by Me »

I don't think I contributed to this thread yet and just wanted to say that I hold a great, great gratitude towards the men and woman that serve for this country we all call home. Every Veterans Day and any other chance I get I always thank our vets. I worked in a veterans hospital and seen the effects of war first hand. It is absolutly terrible and some of the worst injurys are of the mind.

I really wish we could have peace on earth

Not to be a dishearted fool either but I also see some places that cannot sustain the population and we should do something about it instead of letting genocide and starvation do it for us.

Thank You to all our brave men and woman who defend our consititution
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

For part of school today, we will go pay respects to the first fallen Marine native to the peninsula.

A Marine Corps honor guard removes the casket containing the body of Marine Lance Cpl. Jason Hanson from a hearse outside Harper-Ridgeview Funeral Chapel in Port Angeles on Tuesday. The closed casket will lie in state for public visitation today from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Photo by Keith Thorpe/Peninsula Daily News) - 08-09-2006
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

SEMPER FI *Hand Salute...READY....TWO*

With deepest sympathy and respect to the family of LCpl Hanson:

Thank you for your son's service and ultimate sacrifice for our country.
Don't start none...won't be none.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

FROM THE "MEDIA SURE MISSED THIS ONE" DEPT:

Denzel Washington and Brooks Army Medical Center

Don't know whether you heard about this, but Denzel Washington and his family visited the troops at Brook Army Medical Center, in San Antonio,Texas (BAMC) the other day.

(This is where soldiers who have been evacuated from Germany come to be hospitalized in the United States, especially burn victims.)

There are some buildings there called Fisher Houses. The Fisher House is a Hotel where soldiers' families can stay--for little or no charge--while their soldier is staying in the Hospital.

BAMC has quite a few of these houses on base, but as you can imagine, they are almost filled to capacity most of the time.

While Denzel Washington was visiting BAMC, they gave him a tour of one of the Fisher Houses. He asked (Seeing the dilemma of available space)how much one of them would cost to build.

He took his checkbook out, and wrote a check for a donation on the spot.

The soldiers overseas were amazed to hear this story, and want to get the word out to the American public, because it warmed their hearts to hear it.

The question I have is:

WHY does Alec Baldwin, Madonna, Sean Penn and other Hollywood types make front page news with their anti-everything-America bloviating...

Yet, Denzel Washington's PATRIOTISM doesn't even make PAGE 3 in the Metro section of ANY newspaper except the local newspaper in San Antonio? WTF???

To a TRUE AMERICAN, and a FRIEND TO ALL IN UNIFORM:

GOD BLESS YOU DENZEL for your PATRIOTISM.

UNITED WE STAND :cool:
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Wanna thank each and every By-torian that served, is serving now and those that support VETERANS for all of your services and sacrifices now and years' past.

Have a Happy Veterans' Day, and again -

Thank you for your service to our country! :headbang:
Last edited by CygnusX1 on Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

AMEN!

You all rock! \m/
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

We will not quickly join those who march on Veterans' Day waving small flags, calling to memory those thousands who died for the "greater glory of the United States." We will not accept the rhetoric. We will not readily join the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars -- in fact, we will find it hard to join anything at all and when we do, we will demand relevancy such as other organizations have recently been unable to provide. We will not take solace from the creation of monuments or the naming of parks after a select few of the thousands of dead Americans and Vietnamese. We will not uphold traditions which decorously memorialize that which was base and grim. You know education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework, and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq.

Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

:smt022

Our country...
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

ElfDude wrote:You know education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework, and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq.

Kerry's a pompous ass, but he's a Vet too...damn. :roll:
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

To all you vets out there, thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Thanks Elf, and just to be funny................................ :razz: As a Veteran, I could show you the bottom of your heart. J/K :-D :-D :-D

Awh come on, it was kind of funny right?

Right?
This space for rent
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I laughed, and not just cuz you are a vet.

G-d bless all the vets. ((((((((((((Vets)))))))))))))))
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Walkinghairball wrote:Thanks Elf, and just to be funny................................ :razz: As a Veteran, I could show you the bottom of your heart. J/K :-D :-D :-D

Awh come on, it was kind of funny right?

Right?
yeah bro....in a "Full-Metal-Jacket"-kind-of-way. :P
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

The National Museum of the Marine Corps
Dedicated on Veterans' Day, 10Nov2006
(Designed to resemble the flag-raising upon Iwo Jima.)
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

National Air Force Memorial, Arlington VA
A U.S. Air Force C-17 Globemaster III flies over the United States Air Force Memorial during dedication ceremony.
Air Force Memorial dedicated Saturday, 14Oct2006