Layin' low

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Big Blue Owl

Layin' low

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Kinda quiet on the ol' politicals in here lately. But there is unrest in the forest.

For example, Ohio has gone from about 76% Repub to 49% among white, Christian Evangelicals. That's huge considering this is the base of the base, eh? Also, all of the Repub candidates and encumbants seem to be either in jail or going there soon.
It's like the tidal wave that was created after Nixon or Clinton. Brought on by the overwhelming disgust of both parties at the level of crime, deceit and moral crappiness.
Personally, I'd rather have a balance of both parties, but we rarely get what we want.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

What I want is a party that represents ME! And a party that has integrity.

Sure, I may be considered by some definitions as Christian evangelical, but...*sigh* I surely don't hold with all that that movement does.

I have little hope that I shall see such a party though.
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Leiberman's lookin' pretty good from where I'm standin'....

Anybody that Geds dissed from his own party HAS to be doin' something to help someone (besides other politicians). :-D
Don't start none...won't be none.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I was just tired of arguing.

For now I'm sitting back and watching it play out.

Which are the repubs that are in jail?
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

ElfDude wrote:Which are the repubs that are in jail?
dunno dude....but I'll betcha a dime-to-a-donut they're still being PAID. :roll: :cry:
Don't start none...won't be none.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

I should have been more clear. I meant Ohio Repulicans. Such as:

Tom Noe, the GOP fund-raiser at the heart of Ohio's biggest political scandal in a generation, was sentenced today to 27 months in a federal prison for illegally funneling money into Bush?s re-election campaign.

and

Rep. Bob Ney (R-Ohio) pleaded guilty Friday to bribery charges stemming from the Jack Abramoff influence-peddling investigation, becoming the first sitting congressman to confess to taking bribes in the scandal that continues to reverberate through the Republican-controlled Congress.

Dewine will be next.

A day after Mike DeWine refused to rebuke GOP leaders who knew about the scandal involving sexually explicit emails sent by a Republican Congressman to children, the Ohio Senator finds himself caught up in the controversy again today as he gets ready for a fundraiser tonight with Tony Snow, the White House spokesman who dismissed Foley?s sexually explicit emails as ?simply naughty.?

I can hear a flushing sound.....
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Ah, I gotcha. I'd heard about Ney, but not about the other two.

I was about to point out the hypocrisy of the way the whole Foley thing has been publicized, but you guys probably already know everything I could say. Congressman Studds and all that.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Studds....*giggles*
Onward and Upward!
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

awip2062 wrote:Studds....*giggles*
Maybe he was referring to Clinton? :D
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

You guys DO know what I'm talking about, right?
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Yeah, his husband says he died from a blood clot in his lung. Happened while he was walking his dog. Looked like he was getting better, but then deteriorated.

On July 14, 1983 the House Ethics Committee concluded that Rep. Dan Crane (R-Ill.) and Rep. Gerry Studds (D-Mass.) had engaged in sexual relationships with minors, specifically 17-year-old congressional pages. In Crane's case, it was a 1980 relationship with a female page and in Studds's case, it was a 1973 relationship with a male page. Both representatives immediately admitted to the charges and the committee recommended reprimand for the two.

He was the first openly gay polititian to be elected to congress. All the others are still in the closet.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

And is husband is being denied benefits due to a conflicting law.
Onward and Upward!
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Wow, that's complicated.

At least when they had sex with boys it was BI-partisan. Heheheh...Sorry.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Big Blue Owl wrote:Yeah, his husband says he died from a blood clot in his lung. Happened while he was walking his dog. Looked like he was getting better, but then deteriorated.

On July 14, 1983 the House Ethics Committee concluded that Rep. Dan Crane (R-Ill.) and Rep. Gerry Studds (D-Mass.) had engaged in sexual relationships with minors, specifically 17-year-old congressional pages. In Crane's case, it was a 1980 relationship with a female page and in Studds's case, it was a 1973 relationship with a male page. Both representatives immediately admitted to the charges and the committee recommended reprimand for the two.

He was the first openly gay polititian to be elected to congress. All the others are still in the closet.
And after having sex with the page came out in the open he was re-elected a few times and even given a committe chair position. Yet when a republican sends some gay instant messages to pages (never has had sex with any... so far the FBI hasn't come up with anything illegal like Studds did) the democrats want the whole party to retire and be put under investigation.

Like everyone, I'm glad Foley is gone. I just get sick of the hypocrisy.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

It is the pot calling the kettle black that frustrates me.

Well, okay, that is one of the myriad of things that frustrates me.
Onward and Upward!