Big Brother sees Internet as up for grabs

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

By Judi McLeod

Friday, October 20, 2006

The European Union--Big Brother, Europe style--is making a move to kill the Internet.

"The latest move to kill off online freedom and the spread of information comes in the form of proposed EU legislation that would prevent users from uploading any form of video, whether that be a hard hitting political documentary film or your friends goofing around with diet coke and Mentos." (Alex Jones Infowars, Oct. 20,2006).

"Personal websites would have to be licensed as a "television-like service". Once again the reasoning behind such legislation is said to be in order to set minimum standards on areas such as hate speech and the protection of children."

"I used to think I had a pretty good life here, just plugging into my machine for the day, then watching Tempelvision or reading a Temple Paper in the evening..."

The European Kill the Net move coincides with FBI Director Robert Mueller's call on Internet service providers to record their customers' online activities, a move that anticipates a fierce debate over privacy and law enforcement coming to Washington next year.

"Terrorists coordinate their plans cloaked in the anonymity of the Internet, as do violent sexual predators prowling chat rooms," Mueller said in a speech at the International Association of Chiefs of Police conference in Boston.

All the recent reports in the media aboutt he sick sexual predators pouncing on children just a coincidence? There are alot of "coincedences" like this...followed by related legislation...can anyone say brainwashing via media?

If only the FBI could catch more terrorists like the ever-elusive Adnan el Shukrijumah who keeps slipping their dragnet and bring to justice the sexual predators taking children.

Ohh if only the governement could protect us.

Detractors are already calling for the FBI and Company to go after the already "known" pedophiles, druglords and terrorists among America's elected politicians.

They say that EU intervention will do nothing to protect children or prevent hate speech.

"Unless you judge protecting children to be denying them access to anything that is not government regulated or you assume hate speech to be the criticism of government actions and policy," according to Alex Jones.

While the activists are first off the mark in fighting to keep the Internet safe from government intervention, messing with the well-trodden Information Highway of the Masses is bound to reverberate from every corner of the Global Village.

Politics has already taken a huge toll on average Internet users in countries like China, where people continue to be imprisoned all for posting anti-government messages online.

Cutting the ease with which the information can be disseminated through the worldwide web is bound to create a revolution for any government that dares to try it.

"We have previously highlighted the trouble we have had with censorship from Google Video who reset viewing totals for Terror Storm from hundreds of thousands of views on several different video versions back down to zero for each one," says Jones. "This seemingly stalled the viral spread of the film for a while.

"However, the proposed EU legislation dwarfs any Google censorship as it would kill off Video/You Tube as a project before it even started."

Politics on the Internet has protected former President Bill Clinton from having his record on catching international terrorists thrown onto the Net and banned pundit Michelle Malkin from YouTube.

As Jones points out, "the latest proposed directive is another in a long line of draconian legislative procedures that seek to totally centralize and regulate the spread of information and ideas.

"Anyone in Europe can already be arrested and possibly extradited under the European arrest warrant, which passed into law in 2002. This supercedes national law and means that anyone could be arrested for expressing an opinion deemed to be illegal in another EU country."

No facet of society would be free in the exchange of ideas, including the fairytale world children have traditionally been nurtured on. The BBC has reported that under such laws people who distribute stories about fictional children's hero Biggies or the Old Testament could be criminalized under the guise of anti-racism legislation.

Powerbrokers on both sides of the ocean now see the Internet as a commodity up for grabs. It has so far survived all attempts by the EU's twin sister, the United Nations.

The Internet has even survived Apple adviser and Google board member Al Gore, who has boasted of being its main architect.

Meanwhile, if the ambitious EU gets its way, the main advantage of the Net will be lost for life's long suffering little people: More politicians are finding out that if there is one place you can't hide from it's the Internet.
We're all mad here!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I wish I could say that I don't believe that the world governments will take over the net, but I think they will at some point.

After all, they can't stand to see people not under their thumb!
Onward and Upward!
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

Yep...they lust for power and more power...the great dillusion of control
We're all mad here!
Me

Post by Me »

That and they are pariniod that someone is going to come along and start a revolution or other similar adventures, like vote for Me for president.
What about all the video games that are effecting the way people think or Saturday morning cartoons In this country I really don't think they will put a hold on our freedom of speach but I see possibly down the road it being regulated it already is in a sense but in some areas doesn't go far enough like people stealing off the net music, movies, art, etc that is a problem. I don't do it but working with college students I have been asking them every year and they all laugh at me none of them not one pays a dime for any of that stuff. Now don't forget vote for Me for president in 2112.
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Xanadu wrote:Yep...they lust for power and more power...the great dillusion of control
There's some of that. But I suspect the larger part of the elected officials in DC just want to figure out new ways to tax the Internet. It drives them nuts that we're doing so many things that they aren't taxing.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Never really saw that view onnit...............but I really have to agree with ya Elf.
This space for rent
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Taxes! Bah!

We are assessed every year and our property taxes went up about $100,000 on our nearly eight acres and two houses.
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

awip2062 wrote:Taxes! Bah!

We are assessed every year and our property taxes went up about $100,000 on our nearly eight acres and two houses.
:shock: 8 acres? Holy cow!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Is that exclaimation because of the size of our property, or the amount or taxes went up for that much land and two homes?
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I see 8 acres as a huge amount of property. I have 0.25 acres. :)
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

We used to live on a lot that was 50 feet by 150 feet. I hated that. The people and the neighborhood were both nice, but I can't stand being "watched" all the time. LOL

It isn't just our taxes rising though. The assesments on all places are going through the roof! People here in the state think that anyone who has $2 million at the time of their death is rich, and should be subject to state inheritance taxes (and federal too) and they don't realize that people who have worked and saved a bit so they can have something like a few acres to live on but are not rich and living high on the hog will become subject to that tax due to the price of real estate.
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

awip2062 wrote:We used to live on a lot that was 50 feet by 150 feet. I hated that. The people and the neighborhood were both nice, but I can't stand being "watched" all the time. LOL

It isn't just our taxes rising though. The assesments on all places are going through the roof! People here in the state think that anyone who has $2 million at the time of their death is rich, and should be subject to state inheritance taxes (and federal too) and they don't realize that people who have worked and saved a bit so they can have something like a few acres to live on but are not rich and living high on the hog will become subject to that tax due to the price of real estate.
The whole death tax thing really bugs me.