Madonna's adoption

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

schuette

Madonna's adoption

Post by schuette »

A Malawian man who gave up his 13-month-old son to be adopted by Madonna said yesterday he had not realized he was signing away custody "for good." Yohane Banda (inset) signed adoption papers earlier this month, clearing the way for a Malawian judge to grant the singer and her husband a temporary order to take his son, David. "Our understanding was that they would educate and take care of our son just as they were doing at the orphanage," the 32-year-old farmer told the Associated Press in an interview from Lipunga, the village where he lives. Until now, Banda has said his decision was in the best interests of his motherless son and criticized local charities who have started legal proceedings to challenge the adoption. Banda said his understanding was that "when David grows up he will return back home to his village." He said the director of Child Welfare Services, Penston Kilembe, and the retired pastor who heads the orphanage where David spent most of his life never told him "adoption" meant David will cease to be his son. "If we were told that she wants to take the baby as her own we could not have consented, because I see no reason why I should give away my son," he said. Banda's wife died shortly after childbirth, and he left his son with the orphanage. He lost two children in infancy to malaria. Banda said he is illiterate and so had no idea of the significance of the adoption papers he signed in the High Court in the capital, Lilongwe . "Mr. Kilembe and the pastor explained to me that Madonna would take care of my son. I am just realizing now the meaning of adoption," he said, claiming that he has no copies of adoption documents. "All the documents are with Mr. Kilembe," he said.
Hands up who thinks that money will let Madonna keep the baby...or am I just being cynical
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

I don't know what the big deal is. She rescued the kid from poverty. The father knew what adoption meant. He just wants to get paid now. Like someone was going to educate and take care of his son. besides he left the kid at an orphanage. what did he expect the kid was going to be there whenever he decided to play dad? He is going to get paid big time over this.
Happy 2015!
Me

Post by Me »

And to think I can only afford a dog
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
schuette

Post by schuette »

thanx soupie....glad I'm not to the only way to think that way :-D
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

you and me usually agree on most things Schuey.. :-D
Happy 2015!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Soup4Rush wrote: besides he left the kid at an orphanage. what did he expect the kid was going to be there whenever he decided to play dad?
My mom wasn't wanted. She was the second born and her dad had left the family before she was born. My gramma tried to abort her, but when what she took to cause the abortion didn't work, Gramma put mom in an orphanage. She didn't want to raise my mom, but the family would come and get mom from the the orphanage whenever it was time to plant crops or harvest. If she was able to help on the various family farms, none of which belonged to my gramma, who tended to live in the city off welfare, then my mom was fetched by whomever to help on whichever farm until she was not needed, then it was back to the orphanage. This didn't change until she was 14 and my gramma broke her back. Then it was my mom who had to get a job to support her mom and sister. She had to drop out of school to do that. She got her GED when she turned 18 and joined the Army where she learned nursing.

Who knows that this child's father would do the same with his kid. Let someone else care for him until he was able to do something Dad wanted done? It may not be that way in this case, I don't know, but, it does happen.
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Now you guys have me thinking about Elian Gonzalez all over again...
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Cubans! I like Cubans!
Onward and Upward!
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

So t, just how long have you been smoking cigars?
This space for rent
CygnusX1

Re: Madonna's adoption

Post by CygnusX1 »

schuette wrote:
A Malawian man who gave up his 13-month-old son to be adopted by Madonna said yesterday he had not realized he was signing away custody "for good." Yohane Banda (inset) signed adoption papers earlier this month, clearing the way for a Malawian judge to grant the singer and her husband a temporary order to take his son, David. "Our understanding was that they would educate and take care of our son just as they were doing at the orphanage," the 32-year-old farmer told the Associated Press in an interview from Lipunga, the village where he lives. Until now, Banda has said his decision was in the best interests of his motherless son and criticized local charities who have started legal proceedings to challenge the adoption. Banda said his understanding was that "when David grows up he will return back home to his village." He said the director of Child Welfare Services, Penston Kilembe, and the retired pastor who heads the orphanage where David spent most of his life never told him "adoption" meant David will cease to be his son. "If we were told that she wants to take the baby as her own we could not have consented, because I see no reason why I should give away my son," he said. Banda's wife died shortly after childbirth, and he left his son with the orphanage. He lost two children in infancy to malaria. Banda said he is illiterate and so had no idea of the significance of the adoption papers he signed in the High Court in the capital, Lilongwe . "Mr. Kilembe and the pastor explained to me that Madonna would take care of my son. I am just realizing now the meaning of adoption," he said, claiming that he has no copies of adoption documents. "All the documents are with Mr. Kilembe," he said.
Hands up who thinks that money will let Madonna keep the baby...or am I just being cynical
A chick from Malawi called in to the "Elliot in the Morning" radio show here www.eitmonline.com and said that it is a accepted custom in Malawi to let wealthy folks raise children for an education - which she says - is the only way out of Malawi. Then they are returned to the parents.

I can understand Dad's dilemma
Don't start none...won't be none.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Walkinghairball wrote:So t, just how long have you been smoking cigars?
Oh, I don't mean cigars. More like this: Image
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

In case anyone can't see the pic she posted, this is it...

Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

:x Elf.........

At least the man I posted has rhythm!
Onward and Upward!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

And hair!
Onward and Upward!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

And a job with Dio.