Indians

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

schuette wrote:that is something I'm strict about...my kids do not litter....they're pockets come home with all sorts though :-D
When we lived in Oregon, I would take H down to a park and let her play on the swings, which she loved. One day we were there and she walked about a bit and picked up garbage on the ground. I was sitting there reading and thought nothing of it, but this woman who came to the park saw what H was doing and chewed me out royally about it! She thought it was terrible that I was "making" my toddler do that. Making, indeed! She was just doing what she had seen. :roll:
Onward and Upward!
Me

Post by Me »

Big Blue Owl wrote:Here is one of the coolest commercials ever made. It features, "The Crying Indian."

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... ying&hl=en

I know this is going to be hard, kind of like when you found out that Santa Claus wasn't real "Iron eyes Cody" wasn't all indian he was Italian.

Iron Eyes Cody was born Espera DeCorti on 3 April 1904 in the small town of Kaplan, Louisiana. He was the son of Francesca Salpietra and Antonio DeCorti, she an immigrant from Sicily who had arrived in the USA in 1902, and he another immigrant who had arrived in America not long before her. Theirs was an arranged marriage, and the couple had four children, with Espera (or Oscar, as he was called) their second eldest. In 1909, when Espera was five years old, Antonio DeCorti abandoned his wife and children and headed for Texas. Francesca married again, this time to a man named Alton Abshire, with whom she bore five more children.
Last edited by Me on Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Well, if we are revealing things, I guess I should add the tear wasn't real. It was glycerin.
Onward and Upward!
schuette

Post by schuette »

awip2062 wrote:
schuette wrote:that is something I'm strict about...my kids do not litter....they're pockets come home with all sorts though :-D
When we lived in Oregon, I would take H down to a park and let her play on the swings, which she loved. One day we were there and she walked about a bit and picked up garbage on the ground. I was sitting there reading and thought nothing of it, but this woman who came to the park saw what H was doing and chewed me out royally about it! She thought it was terrible that I was "making" my toddler do that. Making, indeed! She was just doing what she had seen. :roll:
some people dont think..or observe... before they open their mouth
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

*throws his hands over his ears*

Stopit stopit STOPIT!!!!
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

ElfDude wrote:*throws his hands over his ears*

Stopit stopit STOPIT!!!!
:?

Did you have another stereotype broken, Elfie?
Onward and Upward!
Me

Post by Me »

Matter of fact he didn't have a drop of Indian in him and I thought he was cutting onions j/k about the onions.
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

awip2062 wrote:
ElfDude wrote:*throws his hands over his ears*

Stopit stopit STOPIT!!!!
:?

Did you have another stereotype broken, Elfie?
Not a stereotype... it was just such a power piece of my childhood. And now you guys have ruined everything!!! It was all just a liberal marketing LIE!

*runs outside and starts throwing trash everywhere*
Me

Post by Me »

Pick that trash up NOW! :razz:

At least Zep will like it.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Me wrote:Pick that trash up NOW! :razz:
Make me!!!

It was all a lie! Waaaaaaahhhhh!!!!
Me

Post by Me »

I am standing here with a tear rolling down my cheek...
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Actually, he wouldn't. Zep does believe that we should take care of the earth. He believes we have been given stewardship over the earth and it is our responsibility to use it wisely and not destroy it. He just doesn't see any scientific evidence that proves humans are causing the warming we have seen. As he said:
Then again, perhaps the shortcoming is on those who have yet to provide me enough conclusive evidence to satisfy my mind. I need more than a lot of emotional response to spotty scientific evidence.

First, fulfill the third requirement of the scientific process by advancing beyond the hypothetical synopsis. Test and replicate the hypothesis. THEN present the results.
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

awip2062 wrote:

Actually, he wouldn't. Zep does believe that we should take care of the earth. He believes we have been given stewardship over the earth and it is our responsibility to use it wisely and not destroy it. He just doesn't see any scientific evidence that proves humans are causing the warming we have seen. As he said:
Then again, perhaps the shortcoming is on those who have yet to provide me enough conclusive evidence to satisfy my mind. I need more than a lot of emotional response to spotty scientific evidence.

First, fulfill the third requirement of the scientific process by advancing beyond the hypothetical synopsis. Test and replicate the hypothesis. THEN present the results.
Truthfully y'all....I'd be more worried over the near-miss asteroid that's coming.
Don't start none...won't be none.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Wasn't there a movie about that? Or two?
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

ElfDude wrote:Wasn't there a movie about that? Or two?
sure, you KNOW there is....LOL

seriously, there's a pretty big one on course for a near-miss soon. I don't have a site link forya, but I'm gonna look.
Don't start none...won't be none.