Bono's Last Call

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

ElfDude

Bono's Last Call

Post by ElfDude »

I thought this was hilarious!
Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Bono's Last Call

Bono, the lead singer of the band U2 is famous throughout the entertainment industry for being more than just a little self-righteous.

While playing a U2 concert in Glasgow, Scotland, Bono asked the audience for total silence, and to light the small candle each concert goer was given at the gate.

In that outdoor venue, illuminated by the soft, gentle and flickering light of tens of thousands small candles and in total silence, Bono slowly started to clap his hands.

Every few seconds, Bono would clap his hands.

As the large audience listened in total silence, Bono put his lips to the microphone and whispered breathlessly: "Every time I clap my hands, a child in Africa dies."

From the silence, emerged a strong and steady, if somewhat somewhat tipsy voice, with a broad Scottish accent that bellowed:

"Well then, quit clapping your hands, you bleedin' idiot!"
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Serves him right.
This space for rent
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Gotta LOVE those Scots.....I met some at the Marathon....good times, good times :wink:
Don't start none...won't be none.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Haha! What a great line. I wonder if the crowd burst into laughter right at Boner's serious, "important" moment :-D
Last edited by Big Blue Owl on Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Me

Post by Me »

It should piss every one of yous off that the very fabric of society is eroding morally; ethically environmentally one voice is worth more than a hundred that say nothing. Let me just on a rant... stupid politicians; there should be a cap to their spending on their campaigns and that should be limited to debate only, not all the smears that's a bunch of bull shit one reason you don't see many at the polls. Every person that registers and votes should get five hundred dollars off their taxes. Ok now I solved the voting problem how about min wage not nearly enough to live on then some states say look at us we raised it to 7 dollars big f*&^ing deal not enough try 12 to 15 dollars an hour that would bring things back in balance for the mom and pop stores people that work at wally world should all just walk out then where would Wally-World be OUT OF BUSSINESS that's were and I don't mean to just pick on them there's alot of them. No wonder the world don't like us GREED that is one reason and a big one. OK time to attack the police people don't trust them it is becoming more of a corporation an industry they don't give a dam about people just making money. This country is going to hell in a hand basket the environment you guys think it is a joke? AND THE PEOPLE DYING IN DAFUR AND ALL OVER THE WORLD, COME ON GROW UP, WE ARE BREEDING A BUNCH OF BEASTS!

I say everyone that works at one of these establishments should walk out on black friday I bet they would look up then and start paying these people a living wage.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Well, not to piss anyone off, Bono's job is to be a singer, not a preacher. And everytime something shitty happens in the world it becomes Americas job to fix it..................why are we the planets caretakers when we cant even fix our own problems here.

Ack, I hate political debates and all that.
This country is going to hell in a hand basket the environment you guys think it is a joke? AND THE PEOPLE DYING IN DAFUR AND ALL OVER THE WORLD, COME ON GROW UP, WE ARE BREEDING A BUNCH OF BEASTS!
Yes it is, and I don't think it is a joke.

The Darfur tragedy sucke, and I am not breeding a beast. I will go to prison willingly for diciplining Scoot in front of some bleeding heart before I let her be a shitting monster.

I'm done.
This space for rent
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I think we are all more in agreement than disagreement about these issues here as a whole on BT.

While I think Bono is trying to do something out of a caring heart, I also know that it does get old having people who are rock and movie stars do some of the things they do and the reaction in the thread against what Elf posted was about that, not from an apathy toward the suffering in this world.

At least, that is the way it looks to me.

Bro...if everyone disciplined their kids like you do Scoot, this world would be a better place. Kids would grow up knowing that they are loved and also knowing how to act well.
Onward and Upward!
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Nothing wrong with the compulsion to use humor to illustrate humanity's inhuman side.
Nothing wrong in being a privileged country, even when we're not always sensitive, thoughtful and/or right.
I'd rather be here, protecting borders, feeding Americans, evolving, growing, laughing, singing, prospering, than anywhere else on the planet.
Of course I'd rather help other countries rather than invade and kill them, but we have so many intercountry issues to work out that we've become a bit weak in the ability to remain the world police and hospital. Maybe someday again, but we have a lot of work to do first.

Man, I love the free exchange of ideas we are lucky enough to express :)
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

awip2062 wrote: Bro...if everyone disciplined their kids like you do Scoot, this world would be a better place. Kids would grow up knowing that they are loved and also knowing how to act well.
that reminds me of when I got to see my folks last month...

my Dad told me he wished he could have been a better father to me and my sibs, but I told him he did just fine....We weren't in JAIL, we aren't SICK from genetic disorders, we're ALL working and making it, and....and this is the best part...

I told him:

"You never gave me an ass-whipping I didn't deserve." :-D
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

:-D to both of you.
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

UBER hug for t!

UHHHH(((((t :* ))))))AHHHH

didja feel yer eyeballs trying to pop out? LOL
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

*crawls about on the floor feeling around for her eyeballs*
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

awip2062 wrote:*crawls about on the floor feeling around for her eyeballs*
ROFL :D
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

"Well then, quit clapping your hands, you bleedin' idiot!"
I can definately appreciate that kind of humor, I'm a Celt...

But I can also see why its not funny. Very fucked up thing about the people in Africa and other places and people here are so fucking cold hearted because they have everything made and they think "oh the hell with them, fuck them I don't know them."
Bro wrote:Well, not to piss anyone off, Bono's job is to be a singer, not a preacher.
Aww come on, nobody's career is what they have to do and only that what the fuck is that supposed to mean...so what if he wants to be an activist. The world sucks and you know art/music is one way to ged the message out to lots of people...so what if he wants to take a few minutes to open people's eyes...that's one way to ged their attention!

Sorry Bro I'm not picking on you, peace man *passes a cyber doobie to Bro* :smt033
We're all mad here!
Me

Post by Me »

I didn't mean to flame anyone either, just start fire. We need people like Bono because if we didn't who would speak out? Certainly not most of the politicians! Are you all aware that the fish stocks in the oceans are depleting at a rapid rate from over fishing and that global warming is killing off the polar bears. I am sure you all are raising your children very good and I certaintly didn't mean to have a negitive impact about that. What I meant is... there isn't going to be a habitable planet to live on, if it keeps going the way it is. There are many ways to look at things maybe it is going to be... thin the heard so the rich will survive.

Like I said one voice like Bono's is worth a hundred but in his case he reached millions and I for one hope he keeps it up!

The fabric is ripping and a needle isn't going to saw it back together again
Hey, that sounds like fucking humpty dumpty.

I am not going to appologize for anyone taking it the wrong way, perhaps I should make sure I put it in a format better understood.

What I meant to this statement..PEOPLE DYING IN DAFUR AND ALL OVER THE WORLD, COME ON GROW UP, WE ARE BREEDING A BUNCH OF BEASTS!
Is the dirty bastards in Dafur and if you would like to add terrorist your welcome not you Hairball or anyone else that I am aware of here on the board. I wish I said THEY instead of We BUT UNFORCHANTLY WE ARE LETTING IT GO ON... WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO NEVER AGAIN?
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.