There is OTHER music?

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Zivo
Location: "A place not too far from here, as a matter of fact

There is OTHER music?

Post by Zivo »

It's difficult to find music other than Rush that gives you that certain something. Heavy riffs, a unique voice, memorable, if not necessary music. Something you miss when you're not listening to it, love to think of it as "your own", and very proud to turn others on to it.
Even though they don't necessarily sound like Rush, I have found some very interesting and addictive stuff through foreign friends, searches and dumb luck.

CORRECTION: By "foreign friend", I really meant my Swiss girlfriend.

Check out Soilwork ( http://www.soilworkers.com/ .) Complex metal with a vocalist that can go from rough to choral in seconds. Grip Inc. ( http://metalsurge.tripod.com/gripinc/ ) is also a gem. Dave Lombardo plays drums for this one, and it's as though he's playing lead solo drums alot of the time (ALA Neil). Of course the old stand-bys, Kings X, King Diamond, Type O Negative, and did you hear Rob is back with Priest? Whoa...
On the Prog front, check out Renaissance, Planet X, FM, Budgie, Marillion and Crack The Sky. Anyone else have any "must have to live" suggestions?
Last edited by Zivo on Tue May 11, 2004 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
KaelMwithascrubbrush
Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

Post by KaelMwithascrubbrush »

Yes, there is a great deal of good music outside of Rush...and outside of rock, as well. I agree with you a great deal about Planet X, their drummer, Virgil Donatti, is hands down one of the premiere drummers in the world, technically speaking. Another good band with a great drummer who also sings is Spock's Beard, with Nick D'Virgilio on the skins. O' course, I am a bit more of a jazz fan, and if you want some killer playing, you gotta get a hold of Vital Information (Steve Smith on drums, he's a real drummers drummer and the guy who hooked Neil up with Freddy Grubber, drum teacher extraordinere), Niacin (Dennis Chambers is insane on the drums), Weather Report (a whole parade of amazing drummers from Ndugu Chancellor to Omar Hakim), and Allan Holdsworth (played with Chad Wackerman and a whole slew of other great drummers). Also, for the last year or so, I've been listening to more and more Afro-jazz and Afro-pop...some great, great musicians and wonderfully tasty rhythmic work.
"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."
-Steven Wright
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

If you like Rush, you'd probably like Dream Theater too. I myself find that alot of different types of music appeal to me, and i dont have a hard time finding bands i can really enjoy. But with Rush, they make all the other stuff i listen to seem like garage band stuff.

I find Tool and A Perfect Circle to be amazing bands, especially Tool. There's a depth at work that i've only seen matched by Rush. The lyrics are great, really make you think. And the music, there is real talent present, you can tell in every part. From Maynard's solid vocal skills to Danny Carey's unbelievable drumming, (I put him right behind Neil as the best i've ever heard.) they're just oozing with talent. Perhaps overrated by some (including me), but with the majority of shitty music out there, they really stand out as unique and powerful.
awip2062

Re: There is OTHER music?

Post by awip2062 »

Zivo wrote: and did you hear Rob is back with Priest?
Back to this!

Whoo-ya! Those crossed guitars make me go *thud!* I love their sound!

As far as other must have to lives for me: DIO, Ozzy, and Sabbath (Black NOT Red!).
Onward and Upward!
Aerosmitten

Post by Aerosmitten »

OTHER music?!?!?!? :shock:

Oh...yes...well..

DIO! I loves me Dio, Pink Floyd as well.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Dio? YOU like Dio? Hmmmmm.....
Onward and Upward!
Aerosmitten

Post by Aerosmitten »

That is just a ruse to put themoff the sent :wink:
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

aah tool, there stuff is enjoyable, but their bass just didn't challenge me , in my time before i met rush, i was thought awesome because i could play their stuff, i responding go away its easy heh.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

In your time?

LOL! You are just a wean! You haven't even gotten to YOUR time!

ROFL
Onward and Upward!
KaelMwithascrubbrush
Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

Sir Myghin wrote:aah tool, there stuff is enjoyable, but their bass just didn't challenge me , in my time before i met rush, i was thought awesome because i could play their stuff, i responding go away its easy heh.
As for challenging bass lines, have your ears been graced by the melodious pluckings of Jaco Pastorius, Stanley Clarke, Victor Wooten, Chris Wood (of Medeski, Martin, and Wood), Baron Brown (of Vital Information), and Reed Mathis (of Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey--Les Claypool wrote a very complementary blurb on him)? They are jazz players with some great chops and interesting approaches to harmony. Mathis plays some really funky, out there stuff that you really have to see live to appreciate fully. Wooten is, I would have to say, probably the best bass player I have seen live...very melodic, very appropriate, very fast when needs be, very precise, very fun to watch.
"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."
-Steven Wright
PV
Site Admin

Post by PV »

KaelMWithWayTooMuchKnowledgeOfOtherMusicians, I have to say I love when you chime in on other bands and musicians. You have a very cool array of musical taste and it's nice to hear your opinion on things. Even as a non-musician, I find myself checking out more and more music based on what many of you folks say. Some I like, some I don't, but please keep on keeping on!
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
wcp

Post by wcp »

Johnny Entwhistle always blows my mind, so easy for him, looks like he is bored with his complex bass lines.....
"John Rutsey, who was a viking then, Geddy, who wasn't a viking and myself formed the band as it isn't today to patrol war-torn areas of the Middle-East and to incurr as many debts as possible. This we did with a passion."
- Alex Lifeson
KaelMwithascrubbrush

wcp wrote:Johnny Entwhistle always blows my mind, so easy for him, looks like he is bored with his complex bass lines.....
Ahhh, the Bull, keepin' the madness in check... :wink:
-Steven Wright
Aerosmitten

Post by Aerosmitten »

KaelMwithascrubbrush wrote:Victor Wooten
WHAT did he say, WHAT did he say?
Aerosmitten

Post by Aerosmitten »

wcp wrote:Johnny Entwhistle always blows my mind, so easy for him, looks like he is bored with his complex bass lines.....
You forgot itty bitty! :P

*Stalking Craiggy-poo*