Van Halen (well sort of) reunion (from cnn dot com)

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

YYZ30

Van Halen (well sort of) reunion (from cnn dot com)

Post by YYZ30 »

Van Halen reuniting with Roth
NASHVILLE, Tennessee (Billboard) -- A deal is almost set for David Lee Roth to return to the Van Halen fold for a summer tour of amphitheaters, sources told Billboard.com

They said a contract could be signed as early as Wednesday for tour promoter Live Nation to produce a 40-date trek, which would mark Roth's first outing with the rock band in more than 20 years.

Spokeswomen for Roth and the band said they were unable to provide any confirmation.

Guitarist Eddie Van Halen's 15-year-old son Wolfgang has stepped in for original bassist Michael Anthony in the new incarnation of the group, which also features Eddie's brother Alex Van Halen on drums.

Van Halen last toured in 2004 with vocalist Sammy Hagar, Roth's replacement, grossing nearly $40 million, according to Billboard Boxscore. Hagar refused to collaborate further with the Van Halen brothers after the tour's completion, although he has consistently played live with Anthony in recent years. The warring factions may wind up meeting in public in March when Van Halen is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Warring factions? *sigh*
Onward and Upward!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

While reading Blabbermouth today, I found this:

The reunion that VAN HALEN fans have been awaiting for twenty-two years began in December, when David Lee Roth walked into Eddie Van Halen's Hollywood home studio. There he rejoined the band for a rehearsal, singing fourteen VAN HALEN classics. "They totally got along on a personal level," a source close to the reunion says. "And it sounded great." At press time, Roth and the band were negotiating a deal for a major summer tour, which would be VAN HALEN's first Roth-fronted tour since 1984. Along with a possible POLICE reunion, it would likely be among the year's biggest box-office draws.

"Everything is up in the air," Eddie Van Halen tells Rolling Stone. "We don't want to say anything prematurely." He suggested that the band is waiting on Roth: "People know where we are and that we're making music. Whoever wants to come up can join us ? they're welcome." But the famously contentious group may already be having communication problems. The source replies, "Dave is ready. He's been ready."

Meanwhile, VAN HALEN will be inducted on March 12th into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ? and it could prove to be an awkward night. Both Roth and his successor, Sammy Hagar, will be inducted, as will founding bassist Michael Anthony, who was recently replaced by Wolfgang Van Halen, Eddie's fifteen-year-old son. "It's a privilege and an honor," Eddie says. "And outside of that, we don't know what the hell is going on. . . . Hey, Sammy might not show up on time ? because he can't drive fifty-five. Sorry, bad joke."
Onward and Upward!
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Maybe it's different over where you are but I can't contain my indifference to be honest, I always preferred Hagar era VH anyway. DLR, while being the consumate showman cannae sing for **** :-D .

Oh I am sorry, I have been a cynical git of late... :(
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

I agree.

DLR was an awesome frontman, but Sammy sings circles around DLR.
This space for rent
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

I heard on the radio tonight that the reunion was called off already. The reason is.............get this...........because DLR want's Mike on bass.

AS IT SHOULD BE!!!!

Not Ed's son Wolfgang.

I guess Mike is Ed's public enemy #1, not DLR and/or Sammy.....anymore.
This space for rent
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Walkinghairball wrote:The reason is.............get this...........because DLR want's Mike on bass.

AS IT SHOULD BE!!!!

Not Ed's son Wolfgang.

Bullshit!

The reason..... is that Wolfgang spontaneously combusted.
Don't start none...won't be none.
Walkinghairball

CygnusX1 wrote:
Walkinghairball wrote:The reason is.............get this...........because DLR want's Mike on bass.

AS IT SHOULD BE!!!!

Not Ed's son Wolfgang.

Bullshit!

Hey, Wolfie is a bass player, not a drummer for Spinal Tap.
This space for rent
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Walkinghairball wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:

AS IT SHOULD BE!!!!

Not Ed's son Wolfgang.

Bullshit!

Hey, Wolfie is a bass player, not a drummer for Spinal Tap.
Hey..I know that. :roll:

.....but it could happen. :twisted:
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

*is glad she's a bassist and not involved in a mess like this VH thing*
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

awip2062 wrote:*is glad she's a bassist and not involved in a mess like this VH thing*
AUDITION!!! :-D
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I don't want to get involved in VH. *hides behind the sound board*

Although, maybe Eddie and Alex could help me with some Dutch vocabulary....lol
Onward and Upward!
Walkinghairball

Most likely help give you unwanted drinking skills also.
This space for rent
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Walkinghairball wrote:Most likely help give you unwanted drinking skills also.
Tell me 'bout it:

Quoting EVH...."Never drink any liquor you can't SEE through"

SOUND advice.

I bet Mike left 'cuz he still drank and Eddie didn't....conflicts-a-plenty there.

(if that's the case.)

I wouldn't know.

I stopped following them after FW anyway. :twisted:

Don't be hatin'. :-D
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Hey, Bro, I drink just fine. The soda gets in me, I don't spill.

You seen it!
Onward and Upward!