RIP, Barbaro :(

Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, it's all here

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Kares4Rush

RIP, Barbaro :(

Post by Kares4Rush »

http://msn.foxsports.com/horseracing/st ... P&GT1=9012

Such a tragedy for such a magnificent animal. :( This is so hard and again makes me realize what a dangerous sport it is.

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
Me

Post by Me »

Terrible that happened.

Usually a horse with that kind injury is put down right away. I got to hand it to the owners for doing everything possible, even when they had a 20 million dollar life insurance on him.
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

I hate to sound shitty here folks, but I agree with Michael Savage..................it's like the Sopranos..............they put that magnificant animal down FOR the insurance.

Hello.................stud the horse for fukks sakes, not the glue factory!!!!!
This space for rent
Me

Post by Me »

Like I said they did everything possible for Barbaro and IMO don't think it was about the insurance money. He raced hard right up till the end
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

They couldn't have placed him in a pen and
had kids sit on him and get pics taken?

(I'm obviously unsure of how damaging the injury was to his life)
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

The legs on a thoroughbred are so delicate. They're almost build in spite of logical odds to carry the huge weight. It's a balancing act that defies nature. When a leg is injured too much pressure goes on the other three and the danger of laminitis occurs. Laminitis is a horse killer.

It's amazing he survived the first bout of laminitis in his left foot (he broke his right hind leg). He had to have part of the left hoof removed and was healing OK but on Jan 9 he had to have more of his left hoof removed. Again, because he was favoring his LEFT foot too much he developed an abscess deep in his RIGHT foot for too much weight on it.

Another surgical procedure to treat that but the biggest fear is that with two hind legs hobbled that laminitis would develop in the front feet and that's exactly what happened and what sealed his fate. An unfortunate snowball effect that was just too much. :(

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

he was only four years old.

that's so sad.

Any chance to clone him?
Don't start none...won't be none.
Me

Post by Me »

CygnusX1 wrote:he was only four years old.

that's so sad.

Any chance to clone him?
That scares me thinking alike :shock:
Against racing rules to artificially inseminate.
However they probably harvested some sperm
To inseminate a female hoping for a male that can
Ride a filly. Perhaps then he will be carried on, just watered down. Nevertheless you can't replace a horse of that caliber. :(
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Me wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:he was only four years old.

that's so sad.

Any chance to clone him?
That scares me thinking alike :shock:
Against racing rules to artificially inseminate.
However they probably harvested some sperm
To inseminate a female hoping for a male that can
Ride a filly. Perhaps then he will be carried on, just watered down. Nevertheless you can't replace a horse of that caliber. :(
No bout-a-doubt-it Bro.
Me

Post by Me »

It must be pretty tuff to catch anyone doing that at any rate.
Me

Post by Me »

And "HUGS" to my racing buddy Kare4Rush!
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Me wrote:And "HUGS" to my racing buddy Kare4Rush!
HUGS back to Me and an extra one for understanding. I'm a slobbering fool today watching coverage. :(

Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

Thanks , Kares, for explaining it in a
nutshell way that even I can understand.

Chin up, buckeroo!
(I forget where that's from.....)
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

I have been following this since the injury 8 months ago too. What a tragedy. I think the owners did everything in their power to keep him alive, but it the end it just was too much to overcome. They were going to make a bundle rather the horse lived or died anyway. I think they had the horse's best interest at heart in this case. Kares have you seen Dreamer with Kurt Russell and Dakota Fanning. kind of along these same lines... awesome movie. Also I heard on ESPN if you cannot register a horse as a throughbred if it was breeded through artificial means. The deed has to be done horsie style. I wonder how you can tell the difference. :? anyway, I share your pain Kares, What a terrible loss. This horse had he not gotten hurt would have probably became immortal after his career was done. :(
Happy 2015!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Soup4Rush wrote:I have been following this since the injury 8 months ago too. What a tragedy. I think the owners did everything in their power to keep him alive, but it the end it just was too much to overcome. They were going to make a bundle rather the horse lived or died anyway. I think they had the horse's best interest at heart in this case. Kares have you seen Dreamer with Kurt Russell and Dakota Fanning. kind of along these same lines... awesome movie. Also I heard on ESPN if you cannot register a horse as a throughbred if it was breeded through artificial means. The deed has to be done horsie style. I wonder how you can tell the difference. :? anyway, I share your pain Kares, What a terrible loss. This horse had he not gotten hurt would have probably became immortal after his career was done. :(
No doubt bro. I believe he really hadda shot at the triple crown too.