Indians

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Me

Indians

Post by Me »

Everyone be extra nice to Dawn & H this month and give them loads of cyber hugs :-D

National American Indian Heritage Month, 2006
A Proclamation by the President of the United States of America

National American Indian Heritage Month honors the many contributions and accomplishments of American Indians and Alaska Natives. During November, we remember the legacy of the first Americans and celebrate their vibrant and living traditions.

The American Indian experience is central to the American story, and my Administration is committed to helping Native American cultures across the United States continue to flourish. One of the most important ways to ensure a successful future is through education. Over the past 5 years, my Administration has provided more than $1 billion for the construction and renovation of Bureau of Indian Affairs schools. We also offer direct assistance for educator and counselor training to help make sure every classroom has a qualified teacher and every child has the tools he or she needs to succeed. As we work with tribal leaders to provide students with a superior education that respects the unique culture and traditions of the community, we can help ensure every child has the opportunity to realize their dreams.

To enhance energy opportunities and strengthen tribal economies, my Administration is working to ease the regulatory barriers associated with tribal energy development. In August, I signed the Energy Policy Act of 2005, allocating $2 billion in the form of grants, loans, and loan guarantees for exploration, development, and production of energy. This legislation will help ensure that latest energy technologies are being used throughout our country.

Since the earliest days of our Republic, Native Americans have played a vital role in our country's freedom and security. From the Revolutionary War scouts to the Code Talkers of World War II, Native Americans have served in all branches of America's Armed Forces. Today, that proud tradition continues, with Native Americans bravely defending our country in Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom and helping to spread liberty around the world. America is grateful to all our service men and women who serve and sacrifice in the defense of freedom.

Our young country is home to an ancient, noble, and enduring native culture, and my Administration recognizes the defining principles of tribal sovereignty and the right to self-determination. By working together, government to government, on important education, economic, and energy initiatives, we can strengthen America and build a future of hope and promise for all Native Americans. This month, we pay tribute to the American Indians and Alaska Natives who continue to shape our Nation. I encourage all citizens to learn more about the rich heritage of Native Americans.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim November 2006 as National American Indian Heritage Month. I call upon all Americans to commemorate this month with appropriate programs and activities.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this first day of November, in the year of our Lord two thousand six, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirtieth.

GEORGE W. BUSH
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

*dons war paint and does badly-performed-by-white-man Mattaponi Nation (Virginia) celebration dance for t*

AWESOME news.
Don't start none...won't be none.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

*sits cross-legged and eats fry bread with lots of homemade jam getting a mess on her cheeks*

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm nice dance, Siggers.

Thanks for sharing that, Kev. I didn't know about it.

I am pretty sure that H and I aren't the only ones here with injun blood in us, but we are probably the ones with the most. Why don't we have a nice potlatch to celebrate! EVERYONE PARTY!
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

What, again with the frybread? Oy!
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Of course again with the fry bread! How can we have a pow without it?!?
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

So, should I start distributing a book that I think is a great history of the "Native Americans"? ;)
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I thought you already did?
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Not around here...
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Just in France?
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

awip2062 wrote:Just in France?
And Belgium, yeah.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

*party-packs the peacepipe and lays wampum at t's feet*

puffpuffgive....don't be a bogart. :-D :roll:
Don't start none...won't be none.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Why would I do that?

*takes pipe, acknowledges the four directions with it, prays the The Great Spirit, and passes the pipe on*
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

*pours bubble stuff in the pipe and starts blowing large bubbles*
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

*laughs*
Onward and Upward!
Me

Post by Me »

Passes out the peyote buttons so we can verse with the great spirits :-D