By-Tor.com Forum Index By-Tor.com
It's all about the Rush

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Department of Peace?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       By-Tor.com Forum Index -> Politics And World Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awip2062

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Department of Peace? Reply with quote

Anyone see this?

Andrew Ramonas of The GW Hatchet Online reports that AEROSMITH frontman Steven Tyler joined actor Joaquin Phoenix, U.S. Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio) and other members of Congress at Lisner Auditorium in Washington D.C. Monday night (Feb. 5) to lobby for the creation of a Department of Peace in front of an eclectic crowd of 200 people.

The star-studded event was the culmination of three days of lobbying by the Peace Alliance for "808," a bill sponsored by Kucinich that calls for the creation of a Department of Peace. The bill, which was introduced for the fourth time in the U.S. House of Representatives Monday night, would create a department that would advise the president on peaceful solutions to domestic and international violence.

Phoenix, who attended the annual "Department of Peace Conference" last year, said that he was "incredibly motivated and inspired" by the movement.

"I have to say 'fuck yeah,'" said Phoenix, who won a Golden Globe award for the movie "Walk the Line" in which he portrayed the late singer and songwriter Johnny Cash.

"I'm just really excited about today and what has been going on the last couple of days," Phoenix said during the event.

He then introduced Tyler, lead singer of the rock band AEROSMITH. Tyler explained how Peace Alliance Founder and Chair Marianne Williamson convinced him to perform at the event.

"I get a call from Marianne and she tells me what she is doing," said Tyler, who was vacationing in Maui, Hawaii, when he received the call. "She said, 'The road with no obstacles probably leads to nowhere.' That was the end of my vacation."

Tyler, who was accompanied by pianist and guitarist Russ Irwin, sang three of his hit songs including "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing", "Pink", and "Dream On".
CygnusX1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Department of Peace? Reply with quote

awip2062 wrote:
Anyone see this?

Andrew Ramonas of The GW Hatchet Online reports that AEROSMITH frontman Steven Tyler joined actor Joaquin Phoenix, U.S. Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio) and other members of Congress at Lisner Auditorium in Washington D.C. Monday night (Feb. 5) to lobby for the creation of a Department of Peace in front of an eclectic crowd of 200 people.

The star-studded event was the culmination of three days of lobbying by the Peace Alliance for "808," a bill sponsored by Kucinich that calls for the creation of a Department of Peace. The bill, which was introduced for the fourth time in the U.S. House of Representatives Monday night, would create a department that would advise the president on peaceful solutions to domestic and international violence.

Phoenix, who attended the annual "Department of Peace Conference" last year, said that he was "incredibly motivated and inspired" by the movement.

"I have to say 'fuck yeah,'" said Phoenix, who won a Golden Globe award for the movie "Walk the Line" in which he portrayed the late singer and songwriter Johnny Cash.

"I'm just really excited about today and what has been going on the last couple of days," Phoenix said during the event.

He then introduced Tyler, lead singer of the rock band AEROSMITH. Tyler explained how Peace Alliance Founder and Chair Marianne Williamson convinced him to perform at the event.

"I get a call from Marianne and she tells me what she is doing," said Tyler, who was vacationing in Maui, Hawaii, when he received the call. "She said, 'The road with no obstacles probably leads to nowhere.' That was the end of my vacation."

Tyler, who was accompanied by pianist and guitarist Russ Irwin, sang three of his hit songs including "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing", "Pink", and "Dream On".

Yep. He did the radio-station-interview rounds here Monday as well.
awip2062

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He? Which he?
CygnusX1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awip2062 wrote:
He? Which he?

Tyler.
awip2062

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were they on this subject? Did he make any sense, seem to have adequate knowledge about the issue, or was he just being another rock star spokesman for a cause?
CygnusX1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awip2062 wrote:
Were they on this subject? Did he make any sense, seem to have adequate knowledge about the issue, or was he just being another rock star spokesman for a cause?

they spent more time kissing up than on the issues. I said the-hell-with-it and popped in a CD....
awip2062

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'smith?
CygnusX1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awip2062 wrote:
'smith?

nope.....Collective Soul...

Love 'em.....Hard to play on guitar though...Very Page'esque chordings and tunings....they tune down a lot.
Kares4Rush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Department of Peace???

But...but...didn't Joachim Phoenix STAB Russell Crowe in Gladiator??? Shocked Shocked Shocked

Wink

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
ElfDude

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actors and rock stars. I'm sure they have all the answers if we'd just listen to 'em. And I mean ALL the answers.
awip2062

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sings*

"When I find myself in times of trouble/ Mother Mary comes to me/ Saying words of wisdom/ Let it be......"
ElfDude

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I just watched a DVD of Paul McCartney in Red Square doing that song last night. Smile

And I'll have to sing it myself in front of people a week from tomorrow. Shocked
awip2062

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer John Denver performing it, but I'd love to see Elfie play it!
ElfDude

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awip2062 wrote:
I prefer John Denver performing it, but I'd love to see Elfie play it!

I've got an LP of John Denver doing that song. And compared to me, I'd rather hear him too! Smile
awip2062

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poems, Prayers, and Promises or a compilation album?

I miss John Denver. He was so full of talent. Too bad he was also so full of alcohol and then seawater.

I would still like to hear it done by Elf.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       By-Tor.com Forum Index -> Politics And World Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: