Today's Headlines

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Walkinghairball wrote:Hey Elf, how close are you and the girls to the Mall that has been getting all the press?
Somewhere between 40 and 50 miles away. I've been thinking about writing a lengthy post on the subject. But I dunno if I'll ever get around to it.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Re: Chrysler to cut 13,000 jobs

Post by awip2062 »

Big Blue Owl wrote:Chrysler to cut 13,000 jobs

Chrysler, whose year-long slump has dragged it down to fourth place among U.S. automakers, announced plans today to cut 13,000 jobs through 2009 as it tries to stem widening losses. The cuts represent 16 percent of the staff at the North American unit of DaimlerChrysler.
So, what's that I hear about all those giant corporations making tons of money?
Onward and Upward!
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

In the case of Chrysler, they are experiencing an SUV hangover. They made tons of money on them early-on, manufactured buttloads more of them without concern for...well, environmental concerns, and now will most likely sell out to a...I'll say Chinese company looking to vacuum up some of the market. The first thing is to liquidate the humans.
It seems U.S. manufacturers have come around a bit late in the game, still cranking out behemoths, just lately listening to the whispers of Hybrid car experimentation and the wants/needs of the American consumer.

But what the heck? We still have the market cornered on baseball and apple pie, right?

(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

*chants*

I-chi-ro! I-chi-ro! I-chi-ro! I-chi-ro! I-chi-ro! I-chi-ro! I-chi-ro! I-chi-ro!
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

ElfDude wrote:
Walkinghairball wrote:Hey Elf, how close are you and the girls to the Mall that has been getting all the press?
Somewhere between 40 and 50 miles away. I've been thinking about writing a lengthy post on the subject. But I dunno if I'll ever get around to it.
Here... I found a blogger's entry that sums up my feelings pretty well. I'll let him write my lengthy post for me. Upon first learning of this, it didn't relaly hit home. It was something that got in the way of watching 24. The nest day the gravity started to sink in. Anyway, the blogger's thing...
Good Won Out Over Evil at Trolley Square
Tuesday 02-13-2007 11:37pm

There is a devil and he delights in pain and suffering, in the destruction of human life and human souls. He wants nothing more than to bring misery here and hereafter.

In October, he visited an Amish schoolhouse.

On Monday, he visited a Utah mall.

And both times he failed. Both times he was shouted down by the other force abroad in the world. Both times evil challenged good, and good prevailed.

Yes, lives were taken. Yes, pain was inflicted. Yes, carnage was wrought.

But, yes, evil lost.

In the wake of the Amish murders, the good people of that religion spoke powerfully of Christian love and forgiveness. They testified of the faith that was in their hearts. They took a moment of horrific grief and turned it into their own Sermon on the Mount, a chance to show the world the beauty of finer and lovelier things.

Satan sought a victory, but they turned the glory to God.

In the wake of the Utah murders, the good people of that region spoke powerfully of their native nobility and courage. In the actions of those affected by a murderer?s rampage are found examples of the best traits of humankind.

There are tears in people?s eyes, but they are tears of gratitude as much as tears of sorrow. Satan sought a victory, but the glory was turned to God.

The event is still too recent to know all the details. But themes have begun to emerge. In coming days, we will learn more about the murderer and the victims.

He was an 18-year-old Muslim. A high school dropout who lived with his mother and brought two guns, a bandoleer and a backpack full of ammo. He got up and went to work on Monday, completely normal, and then he drove over to the mall and killed two people before he was 10 feet from his car.

Is it relevant that he is Muslim? Absolutely. Is it a factor in his crime? It?s too early to tell. But in this day and age, when a young man named for a Muslim sultan who delighted in killing Christians ends up killing some Christians of his own, it?s not out of line to ask.

Thus far all we know about the victims is that they all ? the five who were killed and the four who were gravely wounded ? were all attacked in cold blood. The devil walked from store to store shooting whoever he could.

But as details of the victims? lives come out, it is certain that each one of them will have more substance, decency and goodness than their assailant. He will be found in every regard to be their inferior, and they his superiors. They will prove to be people who lived their lives with decency and grace.

As the days unfold, there will be more stories of wise and heroic deeds. Deeds which saved lives. Mothers and fathers who grabbed children and ran, store managers who locked the doors and turned off the lights and hid customers in storage closets. Regular people who held hands and prayed. Police officers who three minutes after the 9-1-1 call were running through the door with M16s and the courage of lions.

And one off-duty cop out with his wife for an early Valentine?s Day dinner. They usually don?t eat there, but they did that night. They usually don?t get dessert, but they did that night. They usually don?t stop at the restroom, but they did that night.

And so it was that Kenneth Hammond was in the hallway when he heard what he thought were construction sounds. He soon realized they were gunshots and he instantly responded. He sent his pregnant wife back to the restaurant with instructions to lock everyone in, and then he ran to the sound of the gunfire.

He was fired at repeatedly, and returned fire with his off-duty gun. Eventually he and three other officers drove the murderer into a store and returned his fire, killing him.

And yesterday Kenneth Hammond and his wife stood up at a press conference and said it was nothing, it was what he would expect any officer to do.

He was part of the devil?s defeat.

Not just in the gunfight, but in the battle of demeanor and decency.

See, an honest reading of what happened Monday night at the mall, and in the hours since, shows, yes, one evil man did terrible and hateful things. But at the same time, a couple of hundred good people did selfless and loving things. Miraculous things.

And in the wake of the attacks, while the grief ripens and the details are learned, the Spirit whispers not of horror but of hope. Not of the evil of the murderer, but of the goodness of the victims.

The devil came to the mall on Monday, and he failed.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Heavy, dude. Thanks for posting that.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

ElfDude wrote: And one off-duty cop out with his wife for an early Valentine?s Day dinner. They usually don?t eat there, but they did that night. They usually don?t get dessert, but they did that night. They usually don?t stop at the restroom, but they did that night.

And so it was that Kenneth Hammond was in the hallway
Sounds like Providence to me.
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Is it relevant that he is Muslim? Absolutely. Is it a factor in his crime? It?s too early to tell. But in this day and age, when a young man named for a Muslim sultan who delighted in killing Christians ends up killing some Christians of his own, it?s not out of line to ask.
Even though the police haven't announced any motive at this time, the people of Salt Lake City are being bombarded (mostly from their mayor) that the boy's religion had nothing to do with it and they need to be tolerant. I agree with the blogger; it's too early to jump to conclusions, but it's a valid question to ask. I'm wondering, if police discover this really was jihad, will they cover it up to try to prevent any retaliation? I'm hoping it's nothing like that... that this had nothing to do with a holy war. But I do want the truth, whatever it is, to be told.
Last edited by ElfDude on Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

ElfDude wrote:
Even though the police haven't announced any motive at this time, the people of Salt Lake City are being bombarded (mostly from their mayor) that the boy's religion had nothing to do with it and they need to be tolerant. I agree with the blogger; it's too early to jump to conclusions, but it's a valid question to ask. I'm wondering, if police discover this really was jihad, will they cover it up to try to prevent any retaliation? I'm hoping it's nothing like that... that this had nothing to do with a holy war. But I do want the thruth, whatever it is, to be told.
Absolutely!

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I can understand why a mayor might want to talk to the people like that. IF it was a crime of jihad, then the people could really make trouble for him and the outrage against the Muslim population could get quite nasty, so he would want to do what he can to keep them from retaliating.

I do believe that when we find out what the motive was, if it was a response to the many calls for jihad, that has great potential backlash against Muslims in America. It also would be a great time for the Muslims in America and elsewhere who do not believe in jihad to rise up and once and for all tell their extremist brethren to stop. Of course, I do not think that will convince the extremists to quit their attempted genocide of us heathen, but the stand must be made anyway.
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

awip2062 wrote:
ElfDude wrote: And one off-duty cop out with his wife for an early Valentine?s Day dinner. They usually don?t eat there, but they did that night. They usually don?t get dessert, but they did that night. They usually don?t stop at the restroom, but they did that night.

And so it was that Kenneth Hammond was in the hallway
Sounds like Providence to me.
The off-duty police officer is a hero.

My hat's off to him.
Don't start none...won't be none.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

He's the type that made this country great!
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

awip2062 wrote:He's the type that made this country great!
God, Guns and GUTS help too. :headbang:
Don't start none...won't be none.
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

I was using this very example with csomeone yesterday as to why I have a permit and carry a gun. The poor, over the edge of sanity liberal mind I was speaking with couldn't understand how the commin citizen sometimes has to take matters into their own hands. Yes, he was a off duty officer. But he was acting on his own time as an average citizen. We citizens cannot always sit on our collective butts and wait for the government to show up and save the day.

As far as Jihad goes, I think that is something we are all going to have to live with. I don't expect the extremists to ever give up any more than I will give up living by my faith.

This is a crazy, messed up world where anyone could go off at any time. That's why I am locked and loaded.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Today in the news:

U.S. doubts al Qaeda in Iraq leader is wounded

The U.S. military today cast doubt on a report from the Iraqi government that al Qaeda in Iraq chief Abu Ayyub al-Masri was wounded in clashes with police. Despite the doubts, Iraq's Interior Ministry stood by its initial report that police wounded al-Masri, said ministry spokesman Brig. Gen. Abdul Karim Khalaf.

More of the story:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/02/ ... index.html