Today's Headlines

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

zepboy wrote:I was using this very example with csomeone yesterday as to why I have a permit and carry a gun. The poor, over the edge of sanity liberal mind I was speaking with couldn't understand how the commin citizen sometimes has to take matters into their own hands. Yes, he was a off duty officer. But he was acting on his own time as an average citizen. We citizens cannot always sit on our collective butts and wait for the government to show up and save the day.

As far as Jihad goes, I think that is something we are all going to have to live with. I don't expect the extremists to ever give up any more than I will give up living by my faith.

This is a crazy, messed up world where anyone could go off at any time. That's why I am locked and loaded.
Tell me 'bout it bro....and with all the cries for leaving, that's JUST what the bad guys wanna hear. People JUST DON'T GET IT.

Don't think I ain't packin' either.

We just got the green light here for lead-slingin' (when the victim of a home intrusion). ANY home intrusion.

No more "self-defense-life-limb-property" bullshit here.

Somebody breaks or breaches in, ya TAKE 'EM DOWN.

I LOVE this country.

Chalk one up for the GOOD GUYS.
Don't start none...won't be none.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Senate kicks off weekend showdown on Iraq

Senators are debating whether to pass a resolution opposing President Bush's decision to send more troops to Iraq. Democrats want a simple vote on the measure, passed yesterday by the House. But it is not clear if they will have the 60 votes necessary on a preliminary procedure to move ahead.
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Big Blue Owl wrote:Senate kicks off weekend showdown on Iraq

Senators are debating whether to pass a resolution opposing President Bush's decision to send more troops to Iraq. Democrats want a simple vote on the measure, passed yesterday by the House. But it is not clear if they will have the 60 votes necessary on a preliminary procedure to move ahead.
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Senate gridlocked on the Iraq war in a sharply worded showdown on Saturday as Republicans foiled a Democratic attempt to rebuke President Bush over his deployment of 21,500 additional combat troops.

The vote was 56-34. That was four short of the 60 needed to advance the measure, which is identical to a nonbinding resolution that Democrats pushed through the House on Friday.
Sounds like a few democrats helped the republicans with the "foiling" to me.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Not only that, but for, what, three days they spend their time on this, or should I say our time, since we are paying them to dicker over something non-binding?

So, these three days that they spend on something non-binding, could it not have been spent working on something that would do more than just make a statement? Something that would improve life in the US? Or at least forgo their pay? LOL
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

awip2062 wrote:Not only that, but for, what, three days they spend their time on this, or should I say our time, since we are paying them to dicker over something non-binding?

So, these three days that they spend on something non-binding, could it not have been spent working on something that would do more than just make a statement? Something that would improve life in the US? Or at least forgo their pay? LOL
Actually, I kind of like it when nothing gets accomplished in congress. So long as no bills pass, no new harm done. :)
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

LOL!

Read your lips; no new taxes?
Onward and Upward!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

U.N. urged to take action on asteroid threat
Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:46pm ET145

By Irene Klotz

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - An asteroid may come uncomfortably close to Earth in 2036 and the United Nations should assume responsibility for a space mission to deflect it, a group of astronauts, engineers and scientists said on Saturday.
So, the UN is being asked to assume responsibility for deflecting this?
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

awip2062 wrote:
U.N. urged to take action on asteroid threat
Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:46pm ET145

By Irene Klotz

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - An asteroid may come uncomfortably close to Earth in 2036 and the United Nations should assume responsibility for a space mission to deflect it, a group of astronauts, engineers and scientists said on Saturday.
So, the UN is being asked to assume responsibility for deflecting this?
If so, we're doomed.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Nawh, we all good. Bruce Willis has already been there, done that.

Snug as a bug in a rug.
This space for rent
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

I heard Aerosmith would be working on the soundtrack for the space mission, it'll be done when they're 98.
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Think about this:

"Astronauts, engineers and scientists" are turning to politicians to deal with an asteroid. They aren't advising the UN what to do, but looking to non-scientists to assume responisibility of handling the situation. Why aren't they (the scientists) taking responsibility and advising the world what needs to be done instead?

Next they will be calling up Juaquin Phoenix and Steven Tyler and asking for advice! LOL
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

awip2062 wrote: Why aren't they (the scientists) taking responsibility and advising the world what needs to be done instead?
Because they need funding?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

But they aren't turning to the UN and saying, "We need funding. Help us deal with this by financing us as we see what needs to be done to fix the problem." They are saying the UN should take over.

Scares me when scientists look to politicians to do their job.
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

awip2062 wrote:But they aren't turning to the UN and saying, "We need funding. Help us deal with this by financing us as we see what needs to be done to fix the problem." They are saying the UN should take over.

Scares me when scientists look to politicians to do their job.
Good point. Again, why the UN? Can anyone tell me anything they've done well in the last thirty years?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Three things off the top of my head:

--Taken the sovereignty of nations away from the nations.

--Made themselves popular.

--Gotten press coverage.
Onward and Upward!