Questions and Discussion

All about Neil

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

JOEMATTERS.COM

Questions and Discussion

Post by JOEMATTERS.COM »

Does anyone know WHERE the first Rush album was produced? Did Rush have any problems with political censorship? How did Rush overcome these problems dealing with "people" of a higher power having a political "hold" over artists and musicians?

Doesn't anyone else IN THE WORLD see a severe and major problem with the fact that the only solution seems to be to "get an agent?"

Does this type of "forcing to conform" only happen in America? Was Rush's freedom of success, 'granting of freedom to succeed' in debted to the freedom of Canada?

Doesn't anyone else in the world see the problem with artists and filmmakers and writers being kept on political "hold" while they are TORTURED until they conform to the "system" of supplying the agent with cash? Why does everyone go along with this? What the hell do we go to school for? So we can think for ourselves? Or so we can pay someone else to think for us? We have to. We don't have a choice. They torture us and literally hold us political prisoner until we conform to the implications of their not-so-righteous judgement and then they flippantly flick our lives like burnt matches in the wind.

Know any good agents? :shock:

www.joematters.com
Sir Myghin

Re: Questions and Discussion

Post by Sir Myghin »

JOEMATTERS.COM wrote: Does this type of "forcing to conform" only happen in America? Was Rush's freedom of success, 'granting of freedom to succeed' in debted to the freedom of Canada?
For this much i can help you, as much as i'd liek to say they don't try to force us to conform they do, damned society, can't catchmme though i think. There is alot more leniance ( did i spell that right) in music in canada, thats why some canadian "stars" like Shania Twain ( yes i know she sucks) went back to canada for music because the states is rathers controlling with music play exactly what we want you to or else! hope that helps.
Kevin

Re: Questions and Discussion

Post by Kevin »

JOEMATTERS.COM wrote:Does anyone know WHERE the first Rush album was produced? Did Rush have any problems with political censorship? How did Rush overcome these problems dealing with "people" of a higher power having a political "hold" over artists and musicians?

Doesn't anyone else IN THE WORLD see a severe and major problem with the fact that the only solution seems to be to "get an agent?"

Does this type of "forcing to conform" only happen in America? Was Rush's freedom of success, 'granting of freedom to succeed' in debted to the freedom of Canada?

Doesn't anyone else in the world see the problem with artists and filmmakers and writers being kept on political "hold" while they are TORTURED until they conform to the "system" of supplying the agent with cash? Why does everyone go along with this? What the hell do we go to school for? So we can think for ourselves? Or so we can pay someone else to think for us? We have to. We don't have a choice. They torture us and literally hold us political prisoner until we conform to the implications of their not-so-righteous judgement and then they flippantly flick our lives like burnt matches in the wind.

Know any good agents? :shock:

www.joematters.com
I think there are alot of factors that went into Rush's success, and their being able to avoid the whole political hold that usually goes along with musicians. I doubt any of Rush's views that have been expressed on their albums have ever been seen as worthy of political intervention. Nothing sparking controversy or anything like that, their lyrics have always been clean and such. Also, the fact that they had their own funded record label from the start must of contributed to their ability to have complete creative freedom in their music. I'm not sure that Canada itself had anything to do with it, if their agents are any less greedy or something. Maybe it had something to do with the time they got their start as well, when there wasnt as much censoring and business stuff that went along with making music. Of course i'm only making speculations, it could be something completly different, it's just how i see it.

Oh, and i think Rush overcame it by refusing to give in, plain and simple. Of course nowadays if you did that when you first started out, you wouldnt make it anywhere, but at the time Rush were just becoming known, the business was different, not as conforming. Of course not many people were gonna touch bands that they didnt think could be sold to a majority of people, but there were some who would give bands like Rush a chance. It was a helluva lot harder for Rush to make it the way they did, with little radio play, touring was their only means of promoting. If you've ever read a bio on them (there are quite a few), you'd see what i'm talking about.

Sorry for the ranting...i do that alot. :P Hopefully that answered your question, made things more clear instead of confusing you more. :lol: