Pain of Salvation

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Ogg

Pain of Salvation

Post by Ogg »

I've read the name in various articles recently so I thought I'd give the latest album 'Scarsick' a go. On my second listen and it's something else indeed, very cool. Reminds me a little of Faith No More and diverse others.

'Pain of Salvation' is a Swedish progressive metal band featuring Daniel Gildenl?w, who is the lyricist, chief composer, guitarist, and lead vocalist. Their sound is characterised by powerful, accentuated guitar work, broad vocal range, abrupt switching between heavy and calm passages, intense syncopation, and polyrhythmic experimentation. Another trademark of the band is that each album is a concept album...' Wikipedia.

http://painofsalvation.com/enter.htm
DoctorX

Post by DoctorX »

One of the best bands in prog metal in a long time. I definitely recognize the Faith No More influence (Daniel has referenced them repeatedly in interviews), and I'll raise you a Queensryche. Their guitar harmonies and soloing style in particular remind me of DeGarmo and Wilton in the prime years of so long ago.

I haven't heard the new one yet, but absolutely love The Perfect Element, Entropia, Remedy Lane, and Be.
Strength and beauty destined to decay
so cut the rose in full bloom.
Till the fearless come and the act is done
A love like blood
a love like blood

~Killing Joke~
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

DoctorX wrote:One of the best bands in prog metal in a long time. I definitely recognize the Faith No More influence (Daniel has referenced them repeatedly in interviews), and I'll raise you a Queensryche. Their guitar harmonies and soloing style in particular remind me of DeGarmo and Wilton in the prime years of so long ago.

I haven't heard the new one yet, but absolutely love The Perfect Element, Entropia, Remedy Lane, and Be.
I have to agree with the Queensryche taint DrX. I've been having a wee browse and downloaded 'The Perfect Elemant' about an hour ago. I'd recommend 'Scarsick', apart from the awful rapping sections(!). Interesting band though.
awip2062

Re: Pain of Salvation

Post by awip2062 »

Ogg wrote:Another trademark of the band is that each album is a concept album...' Wikipedia.
I love concept albums!
Onward and Upward!