Virginia Tech Shootings

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

CygnusX1

Virginia Tech Shootings

Post by CygnusX1 »

Gunman kills 21 at Virginia Tech

BLACKSBURG, Va. - A gunman opened fire in a dorm and classroom at Virginia Tech on Monday, killing 21 people and wounding another 21 before he was killed, police said.

"Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions," said university president Charles Steger.

The university reported shootings at opposite sides of the 2,600-acre campus, beginning at about 7:15 a.m. at West Ambler Johnston, a co-ed residence hall that houses 895 people, and continuing about two hours later at Norris Hall, an engineering building.

All entrances to the campus were closed and classes canceled through Tuesday.

"There's just a lot of commotion. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on," said student Jason Anthony Smith, 19, who lives in the dorm where shooting took place.

Aimee Kanode, a freshman from Martinsville, said the shooting happened on the 4th floor of West Ambler Johnston dormitory, one floor above her room. Kanode's resident assistant knocked on her door about 8 a.m. to notify students to stay put.

"They had us under lockdown," Kanode said. "They temporarily lifted the lockdown, the gunman shot again."

"We're all locked in our dorms surfing the Internet trying to figure out what's going on," Kanode said.

Madison Van Duyne, a student who was interviewed by telephone on CNN, said, "We are all in lockdown. Most of the students are sitting on the floors away from the windows just trying to be as safe as possible."

It was second time in less than a year that the campus was closed because of a shooting.

In August 2006, the opening day of classes was canceled and the campus closed when an escaped jail inmate allegedly killed a hospital guard off campus and fled to the Tech area. A sheriff's deputy involved in the manhunt was killed on a trail just off campus.

The accused gunman, William Morva, faces capital murder charges.
Don't start none...won't be none.
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Shocking, watching this with my eldest Tabs at 5 30pm.
Now they're showing footage from a live webcam feed and one can actually hear repeated gunshots and shouting, mental or what? Awful. Twenty two dead!

They've just shown a pic of an asian male being arrested, lying on the ground and there's discussion of there being TWO gunmen as one has reportedly been shot...
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

gotta go....this is too close to home for me.
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

CygnusX1 wrote:gotta go....this is too close to home for me.
I hope you dont think I was being insensitive?

As more details unfold we both watch in bewilderment.
schuette

Post by schuette »

just put the news on...
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Ogg wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:gotta go....this is too close to home for me.
I hope you dont think I was being insensitive?

As more details unfold we both watch in bewilderment.
Not at all Ogg. I meant that it's only an hour and a half
from my place to there.

I had to make a few phone calls to check on my peeps.

still at work, so I'm at the mercy of the internet until I get home.
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

This is just shocking. And sickening.

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Totally shitty.
This space for rent
Me

Post by Me »

Total fugged up! :(

I am so sad for all the loved ones having to endure the pain of losing a loved one. :(
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

And to think that if our legislators weren't sooooooooooo afraid of guns, perhaps someone might have ended the rampage a bit sooner by issuing some return fire.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

zepboy wrote:And to think that if our legislators weren't sooooooooooo afraid of guns, perhaps someone might have ended the rampage a bit sooner by issuing some return fire.
Sorry Zep, that must be the most inane comment I've ever read here mate. Not a personal attack by any means but aren't there enough gun owners already over there?
You're trying to say that someone should legislate for easier access to even more hardware? After what has just happened? Just don't geddit.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Today is a numb blur....

The wife and I sat and watched the news last night...and prayed.

All those innocent people...the senselessness of it all...

It's gonna be hard to concentrate on work.

Our hearts are heavy.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

I'm sure we're all aware by now that it's 33 dead including the shooter.

I don't have anything clever or memorable to say. I guess the saddest thing is that one day you are living your life, learning and bettering yourself. The next you are no more...nothing.
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

Ogg wrote:
zepboy wrote:And to think that if our legislators weren't sooooooooooo afraid of guns, perhaps someone might have ended the rampage a bit sooner by issuing some return fire.
Sorry Zep, that must be the most inane comment I've ever read here mate. Not a personal attack by any means but aren't there enough gun owners already over there?
You're trying to say that someone should legislate for easier access to even more hardware? After what has just happened? Just don't geddit.
Isn't marijuana illegal in your country? But yet people still find a way to get it. The only people who abide by the gun laws are the ones not shooting things up. What Zep means is that if somebody had a gun, they may have been able to stop this maniac before he killed 33 people. I am not a gun person nor do I own any, but the only people gun laws affect, is law abiding people. If I wanted a gun I could have one in about 5 minutes, easy. What you need to do is punish the people who commit crimes with guns. The problem is how do you stop a lunatic like this?
Happy 2015!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Soup4Rush wrote:
Ogg wrote:
Isn't marijuana illegal in your country? But yet people still find a way to get it. The only people who abide by the gun laws are the ones not shooting things up. What Zep means is that if somebody had a gun, they may have been able to stop this maniac before he killed 33 people. I am not a gun person nor do I own any, but the only people gun laws affect, is law abiding people. If I wanted a gun I could have one in about 5 minutes, easy. What you need to do is punish the people who commit crimes with guns. The problem is how do you stop a lunatic like this?
No offense Ogg, BUT:

I KNEW IT. That was the FIRST thing all the "anti's" said yesterday.

That is such a weak argument.

Could we please see the data from Europe that indicates
how many people were murdered from stabbings,
strangulations, bludgeonings, poisonings, liqour/wine bottles
busted over heads, those thrown off the tops of buildings
and the hit-and-run victims?

Yeah. I'll wait to rebut until someone gets me THOSE numbers.

IMHO, along with ZEP and SOUP's position, I must rue the
fact that there wasn't anybody packin' heat-

- that coulda saved countless lives there....

...whether you're pro-gun or not.

Always blame the firearm - Never the psycho...right?