GUN CONTROL

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

You play poker? :shock:
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

awip2062 wrote:You play poker? :shock:
It's been a while.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

You are allowed to do that?!?!?
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

awip2062 wrote:You are allowed to do that?!?!?
Who's gonna stop me? Yo mama? :-D
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

LOL Don't get me started about my momma! ;-)
Onward and Upward!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Well, this is a start....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20081 ... onal_parks

An exceprt:
People will now be able to carry concealed firearms in some national parks and wildlife refuges.

An Interior Department rule issued Friday allows an individual to carry a loaded weapon in a park or wildlife refuge ? but only if the person has a permit for a concealed weapon, and if the state where the park or refuge is located also allows loaded firearms in parks.
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

awip2062 wrote:Well, this is a start....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20081 ... onal_parks

An exceprt:
People will now be able to carry concealed firearms in some national parks and wildlife refuges.

An Interior Department rule issued Friday allows an individual to carry a loaded weapon in a park or wildlife refuge ? but only if the person has a permit for a concealed weapon, and if the state where the park or refuge is located also allows loaded firearms in parks.

why CONCEALED? So people don't spook the wildlife? :? :razz:

I'm kidding. I'm okay with that.

You never know when the shit's gonna hit the fan in the woods.

If I had a choice between a .44 and bear repellant...I'm goin' for the blue
steel.

If I had a choice between concealed firearm protection and being robbed,
murdered and thrown in a shallow grave out in East B.F., Egypt....

I'm packin' heat. Legal or not.

I live by G. Gordon Liddy's words when it comes to guns and using them
in self-defense:

"It's far better to be judged by twelve - Than carried by six."
Don't start none...won't be none.
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

CygnusX1 wrote: "It's far better to be judged by twelve - Than carried by six."
Roger that!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I went to a gun show today. Multiple times I heard people say that they've never seen a gun show in this town so packed.

After the gun show I went to a local store that sells ammo and the shelves were half bare. The salesman said that the rep who purchases their ammo has been told that because of demand, some ammo is going to take a few weeks to get and other ammo is going to take...get this....up to 18 months! :shock:

Reasons given by customers as to their increase of ammo purchases mainly were the fear of gun control laws becoming much stricter and fears of not being able to get ammo or of it becoming so expensive due to future legislation.
schuette

Post by schuette »

ElfDude wrote:"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." -- James Madison, The Federalist Papers

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms." -- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest. -- From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives [only] moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion to your walks." -- Thomas Jefferson, writing to his teenaged nephew

The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the people to resist and triumph over them." -- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story of the John Marshall Court

Militias, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms. [...] To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them. -- Senator Richard Henry Lee, 1788, on "militia" in the 2nd Amendment

False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. -- Cesare Beccaria, as quoted by Thomas Jefferson's Commonplace book

Are we at last brought to such a humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defence? Where is the difference between having our arms in our own possession and under our own direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defence be the *real* object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands? -- Patrick Henry, speech of June 9 1788

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788

"The great object is, that every man be armed. [...] Every one who is able may have a gun." -- Patrick Henry, speech of June 14 1788

Such are a well regulated militia, composed of the freeholders, citizen and husbandman, who take up arms to preserve their property, as individuals, and their rights as freemen. -- "M.T. Cicero", in a newspaper letter of 1788 touching the "militia" referred to in the Second Amendment to the Constitution.

That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms... -- Samuel Adams, in "Phila. Independent Gazetteer", August 20, 1789

The danger (where there is any) from armed citizens, is only to the *government*, not to *society*; and as long as they have nothing to revenge in the government (which they cannot have while it is in their own hands) there are many advantages in their being accustomed to the use of arms, and no possible disadvantage. -- Joel Barlow, "Advice to the Privileged Orders", 1792-93

[The disarming of citizens] has a double effect, it palsies the hand and brutalizes the mind: a habitual disuse of physical forces totally destroys the moral [force]; and men lose at once the power of protecting themselves, and of discerning the cause of their oppression. -- Joel Barlow, "Advice to the Privileged Orders", 1792-93

The whole of the Bill [of Rights] is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of. -- Albert Gallatin, Oct 7 1789
let me guess...everyone of those quotes was by an American...

and I know that im dragging up an old post but that was the first Ive seen it
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Drag up old stuff, Schu. Why not?
schuette

Post by schuette »

I also noticed that nearly all those quotes are from a good few year ago...the world..and guns were totally different back then
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

^^^
If I actually had an educated opinion on gun control, it would be that. The world and its inhabitants have evolved, despite the efforts of some to prevent it. Do we all really want to create/maintain or re-animate the culture that needs to be armed to go for a walk in the woods?
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

I won't walk thru the woods without one.
This space for rent
schuette

Post by schuette »

to be honest I would hate to live somewhere where I need a gun to go for a walk!