'Snakes and Arrows' Leaked!...(and Reviews)

Something to do with Rush coming up? Post it here.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Rocinante

Post by Rocinante »

I've had a chance to listen to the album a few times now, here's my tuppence worth, no lynchings please :-D

Easy bit first, the artwork. I like a lot apart from the front cover which I think let's everything else down slightly.

The songs......I'm not sure what to make of the overall album so far. I presently find it very melancholy :(
It works better if you put it on 'shuffle' and split 'side 1' up ! Overall it lacks energy to me but, as several others have said, it will probably be a grower.

Favourite tracks at present:-

1. Malignant Narcissim :D :D :D (YEEEHAAA, wakes up from melancholy)
2. The Way the Wind Blows ( chorus hooked me )
3. Far Cry ( exposure to the single :-D )
4. Good News First ( wasn't fussed at first but this is definitely a grower and could end up my favourite over time )
5. Faithless ( unsure why, just struck a chord somewhere )

My absolute biggest disappointment, given that I go for instrumentals normally, has got to be The Main Monkey Business. :( :( :(
It goes nowhere. With all their collective virtuoso talent available, they must be able to come up with something more technical than this for recording purposes surely? Maybe the live version will be far superior, here's hoping. Scathing I know but they really really left me disappointed with this one.

Also....I do go on.....throughout the album I am of the opinion that the bass has been dumbed down, apart from MN.

I will probably regret certain comments above over time but, that's my honest assessment at the moment for what it's worth. :)

EDIT

That was too harsh on TMMB, it's a softer musical I suppose.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I don't think this person is a Rush fan.

"RUSH -- SLINGS AND ARROWS (ALERT/UNIVERSAL)

Who wants to hear a Rush album that doesn't sound like Rush?

On their first album of new material in five years, it's almost as if they're ashamed of past glories. Their virtuosity is surrendered in exchange for bland, beige songwriting that wouldn't be tolerated from any of their many disciples.

Neil Peart's drums sound like wet cardboard, Alex Lifeson avoids riffs and even backs away from soloing, while Geddy Lee warbles about the state of the world and, in the most placidly Canadian lyric here, insists that "I will quietly resist." Resist what? Good songs? Artistic growth?

A recognition of what it was that made them one of this country's most beloved bands? They're going to need a few more cameos on Trailer Park Boys to make anyone other than the blind faithful notice this one."
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

awip2062 wrote: They're going to need a few more cameos on Trailer Park Boys to make anyone other than the blind faithful notice this one."
Well... the number three slot on the Billboard charts kind of refutes that statement.

And hey, Geddy doesn't "warble" on this album! He just moans a lot. :-D
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Good response, Elfie!
Onward and Upward!
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

I still can't bring myself to detail my opinions of S&A. I am disheartened by the careless criticism and needless negativity posted by supposed life-long Rush fans, such as myself. I'd feel a fool to gush at this point, so I'll just say that we are lucky to have these guys, still cranking out musical beauty. I'm very thankful that they care enough to still try to make people feel great with this deep, ever-changing, multi-faceted musical gift they continue to give us and have for more than 30 years.

Thank you Alex, Neil and Geddy.
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Aw. :(

I am sorry to dishearten you. :(
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

All the songs on S&A I like now. It took less time than VT did.

So yeah, even though I really don't like the first album too much, (Ala Rutsey), I have to say the only thing I just do not like from the guys is FEEDBACK. I don't want to hear any of that on the tour.
This space for rent
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

I am sorry to dishearten you
Reminds me of, "You're so vain. I bet you think this song is about you"

Not you, ya goof. Big difference between non-enlightened spew and genuine mixed feelings for something you hoped to love. Actually, I haven't read the reviews of S&A in this forum so as to not get frustrated and irritated if I ran into any of the aforementioned blither-blather.

Besides, I think you are being playfully sarcastic when saying you're sorry :razz:
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

I still don't like feedback. :-D
This space for rent
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Big Blue Owl wrote:
I am sorry to dishearten you
Reminds me of, "You're so vain. I bet you think this song is about you"

Not you, ya goof. Big difference between non-enlightened spew and genuine mixed feelings for something you hoped to love. Actually, I haven't read the reviews of S&A in this forum so as to not get frustrated and irritated if I ran into any of the aforementioned blither-blather.

Besides, I think you are being playfully sarcastic when saying you're sorry :razz:
Huh? You mean everything isn't about me? :shock:

All playful sarcasm aside, when I said I was sorry I meant it. I thought I'd made you feel bad, and I felt about 2" tall. So low that when I sit on a postage stamp, my legs dangle.

But you described my opinion of it well... mixed feelings for something I hoped to love.

I too am grateful for the boys and the new album. And I like it better than VT too (except for the lyrical content... thought VT was better for that). :-D
schuette

Post by schuette »

Big Blue Owl wrote:Actually, I haven't read the reviews of S&A in this forum so as to not get frustrated and irritated if I ran into any of the aforementioned blither-blather.
What...you havn't even read mine...........oh I am so hurt I will never ever be able to smile again...you have cut me to the core...my love line is ebbing...I feel so week...oh the paaain....
Walkinghairball

schuette wrote:
Big Blue Owl wrote:Actually, I haven't read the reviews of S&A in this forum so as to not get frustrated and irritated if I ran into any of the aforementioned blither-blather.
What...you havn't even read mine...........oh I am so hurt I will never ever be able to smile again...you have cut me to the core...my love line is ebbing...I feel so week...oh the paaain....
:shock: I'll fix her!!!

Now where did I put the vaseline and my jumper cables???
This space for rent
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Alright, damnit, I'll go against my better judgement and read the judgements :-D Nice core, by the way!
All playful sarcasm aside, when I said I was sorry I meant it. I thought I'd made you feel bad, and I felt about 2" tall. So low that when I sit on a postage stamp, my legs dangle.
You're too kind, sir :-)
I still don't like feedback.
Fuck Feedback :D
Oh...you wanted those back? :oops:
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Walkinghairball wrote:
schuette wrote:
:shock: I'll fix her!!!

*sticks around because something silly-freaky-style is gonna happen*

*offers car battery and shaving razor* :headbang:
Don't start none...won't be none.
Walkinghairball

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!

OWL you slay me bro. :-D
This space for rent