Styx

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Soup4Rush

Styx

Post by Soup4Rush »

I am not sure if there are any Styx fans here. I saw them live Friday night. They were awesome. James Young and Tommy Shaw are the only original members. They have a keyboard/lead vocalist now name Larry Gowan. He sounds just like Dennis DeYoung. If you liked them in the 70's and 80's and they come near you, see them. you will not be dissapointed.
Happy 2015!
YYZ30

Re: Styx

Post by YYZ30 »

Soup4Rush wrote:I am not sure if there are any Styx fans here. I saw them live Friday night. They were awesome. James Young and Tommy Shaw are the only original members. They have a keyboard/lead vocalist now name Larry Gowan. He sounds just like Dennis DeYoung. If you liked them in the 70's and 80's and they come near you, see them. you will not be dissapointed.
Soup...I thought you had better taste than that!!! :-D :razz:
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

Hey they rocked.. and whats wrong with Styx anyway, BOY?? :twisted:
Happy 2015!
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

Soup4Rush wrote:Hey they rocked.. and whats wrong with Styx anyway, BOY?? :twisted:
Wow someone didn't take their Midol this morning eh? :cool:
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

no :cry:
Happy 2015!
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

I liked them to a degree.
I saw them with Journey and REO Speedwagon 3 years
ago and they surprised me with how good a show they put on.

They are now with Foreigner right?
They are coming to our area after Rush.
I may check them out.

Blue Collar Man is one of my all time faves.
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

I saw them by themselves, but they will be with Def Leppard and Reo Speedwagon this July in Indy. I tell you they rocked. Tommy Shaw is way cool!!
Happy 2015!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I saw Styx back during the Kilroy tour. I love Styx. I know many people think they are lame, but come on, they had three lead vocalists, all of whom could play keys, two of whom played guitar, their musicianship is real and it comes out in their songs. This is to say nothing of their bassist and *removes hat and pays her respects yet again* drummer.

Zep thought of taking me to see them last year, but the dates didn't work out.
Onward and Upward!
PV
Site Admin

Post by PV »

I heard Styx was touring with Def Leppard but I didn't know REO was on the bill too. *ponders adding this show to the already busy summer schedule*
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

Def Leppard is headlining, REO and Styx are billed as special guests. Not sure about your area. I thought MK said they were with Foreigner out there. If you come to Indy, you can go with me and my wife. :-D I think its pretty cool that these older 70 and 80 classic rock bands are touring again. I never really cared for the hairbands, but I like the classic rock bands. Deep Purple is touring this year, that would be a cool show too.
Happy 2015!
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

awip2062 wrote:I saw Styx back during the Kilroy tour. I love Styx. I know many people think they are lame, but come on, they had three lead vocalists, all of whom could play keys, two of whom played guitar, their musicianship is real and it comes out in their songs. This is to say nothing of their bassist and *removes hat and pays her respects yet again* drummer.

Zep thought of taking me to see them last year, but the dates didn't work out.
their new drummer is pretty good, I thought of Leon. I think he would have enjoyed the solo. He had one of those dual bass drum kits, like Mr Peart had a few years back. way cool!! Todd Sucherman is his name, I think the original drummer passed on a couple of years ago, the bass player was with Bad English. Ricky Phillips. They were really worth the $50 bucks. we sat 10 rows from the stage...
Happy 2015!
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Yeah, their drummer Todd is pretty dang good.
This space for rent
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

you have heard him then?
Happy 2015!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

My first concert at 14 years old:

1975:

Kiss

Mott the Hoople

Styx

In that order w/Styx opening

my VERY NEXT CONCERT:

RUSH at Warner Theater (Seated 2,000) :headbang:
Don't start none...won't be none.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Soup4Rush wrote:you have heard him then?
Yeah, I saw Styx on the Today show a few months back, and then researched him on Drummer world (dot) com.

He has an impressive resume.
This space for rent