Styx

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Was anyone else lucky enough (old enough) to see them live back in the days before Paradise Theater? They were a great middle between metal and a sort-of acoustic/theatrical thing. Like on the songs Crystal Ball and Man In The Wilderness, etc. Even Suite Madame Blue had its memorable hard rock moments. I remember seeing them 3 times on the Grand Illusion tour with Angel opening the show. Maybe it was the age. Maybe it was my young, impressionable, unjaded mind (maybe it was the Thai Stick), but it was magic.

They were, like so many other bands from the '70s, iconic and dripping with greatness. Alas, without the original members it's R.I.P. but tonight I'm gonna crank up Equinox to ear-splitting levels.
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Big Blue Owl wrote:Was anyone else lucky enough (old enough) to see them live back in the days before Paradise Theater? They were a great middle between metal and a sort-of acoustic/theatrical thing. Like on the songs Crystal Ball and Man In The Wilderness, etc. Even Suite Madame Blue had its memorable hard rock moments. I remember seeing them 3 times on the Grand Illusion tour with Angel opening the show. Maybe it was the age. Maybe it was my young, impressionable, unjaded mind (maybe it was the Thai Stick), but it was magic.

They were, like so many other bands from the '70s, iconic and dripping with greatness. Alas, without the original members it's R.I.P. but tonight I'm gonna crank up Equinox to ear-splitting levels.
Saw them as the opening act at RFK Stadium, DC in 1973...or was it '74...

Styx, Mott the Hoople, Aerosmith, Lynyrd Skynyrd (headliner)
Don't start none...won't be none.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Big Blue Owl wrote:tonight I'm gonna crank up Equinox to ear-splitting levels.
Good idea. I think "Blue Collar Man" turned up to maximum volume
would be apt as well.
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

cygnusx1 wrote: How many bass players do you know that use a tremolo and
vocal through a bass kick mic?
tremolo on a bass, you can add tremolo with your fingers if you know what you are doings its all in the shake. Talk boxes, mike bugs etc, just gimmicks they don't make you any better its kind of like John Cage and his fixed piano (beleive that was the word he used).
cygnusx1 wrote: TOOL absolutely-friggin-kicks-ass. More metal please!
As for metal, I listen to alot of metal, if you think tool is metal i should help open yours eyes some :P. I could give off a long list of metal bands if you really are into it though, Ayreon (Arjen Arthass Lucassen) is one hell of a composer / rock operaesque album writer.[/quote]
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

So, what do you think of Chuck Panozzo, Dweebs?
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Sir Myghin wrote:
tremolo on a bass, you can add tremolo with your fingers if you know what you are doings its all in the shake. Talk boxes, mike bugs etc, just gimmicks they don't make you any better its kind of like John Cage and his fixed piano (beleive that was the word he used).
all-in-all, and with due respect, you're quite the minority when it comes to Claypool. He would challenge the best and stack up quite nicely. I'd walk across flaming broken glass to jam with him, so call me prejudiced. I can't hear you from here. :-D

Setting the record straight - I like OLD SCHOOL METAL. Tool is about as "new" as I get, but they blew my car speakers up, and "rappers" roll their car windows up - works for me. :P
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

I listen to the old school and alot of the european stuff that started late 80's, there are quite a few good finnish groups from the 90's also. the sound hasn't evolved to crap everywhere. As for old school Maidens last 2 albums were freaking fantastic.

and as for my long adeiu opinion of styx, they took some time to grow on me but rock quite well.

The only folks who really appreciate claypool are those that yell zakk wylde is the best guitarist their is, people in music for image moreso than music. It is vary rare i run into a bass player that says hey i feel bored lets break out some claypool licks. Same goes for tool I always got stuck playing their cheesy lines too because some drummer loved it.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Sir Myghin wrote:The only folks who really appreciate claypool are those that yell zakk wylde is the best guitarist their is, people in music for image moreso than music. It is vary rare i run into a bass player that says hey i feel bored lets break out some claypool licks. Same goes for tool I always got stuck playing their cheesy lines too because some drummer loved it.
again, with all due respect, if you can play ANY MUSICAL GENRE...

(Like Claypool - and he DOES)....then you would be playing Claypool "licks"
sooner or later.

Rotsa Ruck, 'cuz he plays it ALL. I know it sounds prejudiced, but
like the old saying goes:

"It ain't braggin' if you can back it up", and he does it every time
he touches the instrument.

BTW, I like Zakk, but IMHO he's a Randy Rhoads clone on guitar.

it's been done before...on the other hand, if you wanna talk
Steve Morse or Tony McAlpine, I'm all ears Brudda. :-D
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Steve Morse is some grand stuff. You won't like change my mind on claypool but i welcome you to continue trying. If zakk is indeed a rhoads clone he isn't do well enough to do justice i feel i find he overdoes the whole pinch harmonic thing. Haven't heard of Tony McAlpine though but i much fancy the guitarwork of Timo Tolkki and Steve Vai (learning some vai at the moment but some of the fancy pants stuff still eludes me i blame my slow action guitar and ofcourse the need for more practice)
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Sir Myghin wrote:Steve Morse is some grand stuff. You won't like change my mind on claypool but i welcome you to continue trying. If zakk is indeed a rhoads clone he isn't do well enough to do justice i feel i find he overdoes the whole pinch harmonic thing. Haven't heard of Tony McAlpine though but i much fancy the guitarwork of Timo Tolkki and Steve Vai (learning some vai at the moment but some of the fancy pants stuff still eludes me i blame my slow action guitar and ofcourse the need for more practice)
Agreed Bro.

And Steve Vai is a given. G3, all good good stuff.

McAlpine was hot in the 80's/90's, but has gone under the radar lately.

I've been going retro and watching films of Django Rhinehardt.

DUDE! He was SO AHEAD OF HIS TIME!!! His fingering and expression
totally amaze me. It's like watching Larry Carlton on steroids!!! :lol:
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Hey you'se guys!
Try this: http://www.by-tor.com/temp_forums/viewt ... 0&start=30

As to Styx, Zak Wylde's mom is the drummer :razz:
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

They replaced Panozzo with a chick?!?!?!?
Onward and Upward!
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Well, they look a lot alike :-D
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Maybe the Panozzo's weren't twins, they were tripletts, Chuck, John, and Zakk's mom.
Onward and Upward!
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Ok here is something different, and rather cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqG9S6FRJao
This space for rent