Severe disappointment (spoiler!)

Here's your seat for the new tour. There may be, wait, there WILL be spoilers so if you don't want to know, don't go! So pull up a lawn chair and discuss...

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Panacea

Severe disappointment (spoiler!)

Post by Panacea »

OK, maybe I'm just a hopelessly conservative, square, stick-in-the-mud, but I have to say I'm SEVERELY disappointed in the boys. :( They played "Passage to Bangkok" in the encore, and I've not listened to it much because the subject matter makes me uncomfortable. It's a GREAT song, and rocks, and it's my own personal little hangup that I'm not comfortable with the whole illegal drug thing. I can deal with that--other folk don't have to share my worldview.

I don't mind that they played the song, but I really hated how the video that went with the song totally glorified/made marijuana use ok with the video of marijuana plants and people smoking it and acting goofy. I've always said I could take my kids to a Rush show without ever worrying about what they'd see from the band, and now I've been proven wrong. :(

I'm planning to make this our family bathroom break song, and we will for sure have a discussion about why pot is illegal and why they will be killed painfully by their parents if they ever use it. ;) I'm just reaaaaallly disappointed in the boys for digressing from their usual family-friendly format. :( Am I an idiot for feeling this way?
Enchantment falls around me and I know I cannot leave...
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

I don't think you are an idiot at all for feeling that way... They should not be putting those images on the screen knowing that parents do bring their kids to these shows. I would have been uncomfortable with that too. I don't agree with a lot of Rush lyrics, Manhattan Project for example. I just try to look past the lyrics and enjoy the music...
Happy 2015!
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Pan, you raise yer kids how you see fit. They will be exposed to visual stimulus(sp) through their entire lives. It's un stoppable. Just remember, you can only do so much, then it is up to them.

Soup, how can Manhattan Project bug you? Neil read 10 books to get his facts historically accurate on this song?
This space for rent
CygnusX1

Re: Severe disappointment (spoiler!)

Post by CygnusX1 »

Panacea wrote:OK, maybe I'm just a hopelessly conservative, square, stick-in-the-mud, but I have to say I'm SEVERELY disappointed in the boys. :( They played "Passage to Bangkok" in the encore, and I've not listened to it much because the subject matter makes me uncomfortable. It's a GREAT song, and rocks, and it's my own personal little hangup that I'm not comfortable with the whole illegal drug thing. I can deal with that--other folk don't have to share my worldview.

I don't mind that they played the song, but I really hated how the video that went with the song totally glorified/made marijuana use ok with the video of marijuana plants and people smoking it and acting goofy. I've always said I could take my kids to a Rush show without ever worrying about what they'd see from the band, and now I've been proven wrong. :(

I'm planning to make this our family bathroom break song, and we will for sure have a discussion about why pot is illegal and why they will be killed painfully by their parents if they ever use it. ;) I'm just reaaaaallly disappointed in the boys for digressing from their usual family-friendly format. :( Am I an idiot for feeling this way?
No, you're not an idiot Pan, but (they have so many fans to
please that) ya gotta take the good with the bad.

My folks went BALLISTIC when they heard it in my room as a
young buck.

That (and Aerosmith's "Big Ten Inch") almost got my system thrown
out the door and into the front yard...

The honor roll postings kept me in their good graces, so they
finally lightened up when they saw I wasn't becoming a menace
to society. I turned out okay...

...but that's a matter of interpretation! :P WOOHOO!!!

You stick to your guns. Nobody's gonna fault you for your beliefs,
and if they do.....tell 'em to pack sand. :-D

But truth be known, it's nothing they haven't seen before.

You're a concerned parent. Wish there were millions more like ya.

CHEERS PAN! :headbang:
Don't start none...won't be none.
LisaBug2112

Post by LisaBug2112 »

this is 1 reason it needs to be legalized!!!!!!! :-D
"Like a flower in the desert that only blooms at night i will quietly resist I dont have faith in faith i dont believe in beliefs you can call me faithless i still kling to hope & i believe in love and thats faith enough for me."
Xanadu

Re: Severe disappointment (spoiler!)

Post by Xanadu »

No not stupid at all. You sound surprised...and I'm surprised that you would be. The song lyrics glorify marijane, hash whatever. You'd probably cringe if you knew what your kids were exposed to everyday at school. I know you're a teacher, but not every class is your class, who knows what goes on. Of course loving your kids does more than anything...and of course I know ya do :wink: :-D
We're all mad here!
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

LisaBug2112 wrote:this is 1 reason it needs to be legalized!!!!!!! :-D
Legal or not, it would still be on our family's list of substances to avoid. :P
Me

Post by Me »

I don't think your concerns are stupid either Pan and the videos did glorify it. I also saw a lot of young children in the audience with people smoking pot right around them. Nonetheless education starts at home and I think children should be made aware of the world around them at every given opportunity. As for leagalizing it, I myself would like to see it done. I have bad OA and for medical use it is very helpful in that regard and many other ailments. Unfortunately we probably won't see that done as the pharmaceutical companys would lose to much money on people growing their own. There is help on the way with some new drugs coming to the market derived from marijuana that will help people like me and a lot of others, without the side effects other narcotics have. It takes to long for the FDA to pass these new and better drugs because of political pressure
and not enough voices screaming about it. That's just my 2 cents worth for what good that might be.

And Pan my wife says hello, she was asking about you the other day.
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

Xanadu wrote:No not stupid at all. You sound surprised...and I'm surprised that you would be. The song lyrics glorify marijane, hash whatever. You'd probably cringe if you knew what your kids were exposed to everyday at school. I know you're a teacher, but not every class is your class, who knows what goes on. Of course loving your kids does more than anything...and of course I know ya do :wink: :-D
No, I wasn't surprised about the lyrics--I knew what the song is about. I was surprised with the video. :( And yup, I do love my kids. :-D
CygnusX1 wrote: You stick to your guns. Nobody's gonna fault you for your beliefs,
and if they do.....tell 'em to pack sand. :-D

You're a concerned parent. Wish there were millions more like ya.

CHEERS PAN! :headbang:
Thanks! I try to be a good parent, as do all of us here, I'm sure! :)
Me wrote:I don't think your concerns are stupid either Pan and the videos did glorify it. I also saw a lot of young children in the audience with people smoking pot right around them. Nonetheless education starts at home and I think children should be made aware of the world around them at every given opportunity.
We saw lots of folks smoking it too. Hubby and I have talked to the kids about that when we took them last time, so they are prepared. We agree that we don't choose to do it, but that others have the right to make their own choices.
Me wrote:And Pan my wife says hello, she was asking about you the other day.
Tell your wife hello back, Me! I'm doing well! :-) It's so sweet she was asking! :-)
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

In watching the vid again last night, it does seem
to glorify it's using. But Pan, this could be another tool in
further discussions
with your children.
So it could be used in a positive manner.
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

I think it's a shame that we have to search for a positive way to integrate what I consider poor choices of others into our lifestyle.

Pan, I with ya 100% on this one. I think drug use, regardless of the current social arguments, is a waste of time, resources, and the life we're given.

Unfortunately, we must be aware of the evils in this world. I just wish there weren't those who insist on flaunting it.

Just my opinion.
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

Hey and I don't think anyone should feel threatened, just be confident about how ya choose to live (kids pick up on that.) ...and beware of the annoying drunks...right Kev? LOL
We're all mad here!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

And attend with someone like Hairball to take care of the annoying drunks!
Onward and Upward!
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

awip2062 wrote:And attend with someone like Hairball to take care of the annoying drunks!
Hell yeah, bring on the dumbasses, I have been itchin to scold a dumbass. :twisted:
This space for rent
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

I was thinking I might be alone (or in a very small minority) in the way I was feeling, and it's reassuring to know that even those who might not feel the way I do have totally supported me in my desire to try to raise my kids up right. :-D You guys ROCK! :-D