Ron Paul

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Xanadu

Ron Paul

Post by Xanadu »

He's pretty cool... :-D

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/
We're all mad here!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

He looks pretty good!
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I voted for him when he ran for president in 1988. These days I'm still with him on most things, but not so much on his foreign policy ideas.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

I have voted Libertarian as well, albeit 1000 years ago in 1980. This was the first year I could vote age-wise, and I thought, at the time (in those times), I made the right choice. I like a LOT of the things Ron Paul has to say. I'll have to read more about him.

Here's my 1980 candidate:

Ed Clark

Ed Clark was the Libertarian candidate for President of the United States in the 1980 presidential election.

Clark is an honors graduate of Dartmouth College and received a law degree from Harvard Law School.

In 1978, Clark received some 377,960 votes, 5.5% of the popular vote, in a race for Governor of California.

In 1980 he won the Libertarian Party nomination for the Presidency at their party convention in Los Angeles, California. He published a book on his programs, entitled "A New Beginning". The book's introduction was by Eugene McCarthy. During the campaign, Clark positioned himself as a peace candidate and tailored his appeal to liberals and progressives unhappy with the resumption of Selective Service registration and the arms race with the Soviet Union. When asked in a television interview to summarize libertarianism, Clark used the phrase "low-tax liberalism," causing some consternation among traditional libertarian theorists, most notably Murray Rothbard. A growing split within the Libertarian Party between a moderate faction (including Clark) and a radical faction led by Rothbard eventually came to a head in 1983, with the moderate faction walking out of the party convention.

Ed Clark's running mate in 1980 was David H. Koch of Koch Industries, who pledged part of his personal fortune to the campaign in exchange for the Vice Presidential nomination.

Clark received 921,299 votes and over 1% of the total nationwide; the highest number and percentage of popular votes a Libertarian party candidate has ever received in a presidential race. His strongest support was in Alaska, where he came in third place with 11.66% of the vote, finishing ahead of independent candidate John Anderson and receiving almost half as many votes as Jimmy Carter.

Here is the poster/ad that sold me back then. I can't believe I found it:
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Cool! That's one thing about libertarians, they will tell you what they think and what they plan on doing, rather than run a masquerade campaign.

I wasn't old enough to vote in 1980. :(

In '84 I voted for Ronald Reagan. A bit obvious perhaps, but it's always nice to back a winner once in a while. :)

In 1988 My vote went to libertarian, Ron Paul.

In 1992 I was a conspiracy kook and voted for the most decorated green-beret ever who (I think) was running on the populist ticket.

He was awesome at the time. Now he's really gone of the deep end. :(
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Wow, that guys looks like he PITTIES THE FOOL! :-D
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

ElfDude wrote:I wasn't old enough to vote in 1980.
*snickers* I was married in 1980...

Rush was on every car stereo this side of the Continental Divide
in 1980...

MTV actually KICKED ASS in 1980...

Blondie's "Rapture" was the first "rap" in 1980...

Jim Palmer and the Baltimore Orioles were unstoppable in 1980...
Don't start none...won't be none.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Big Blue Owl wrote:Wow, that guys looks like he PITTIES THE FOOL! :-D
Yeah, "Bo" Gritz was (in part) the guy who the Rambo character was based on (hence his friends giving him the "Bo" nickname).This is the guy who single-handedly brought the Ruby Ridge standoff to a close before it turned into a complete massacre. Randy Weaver's wife, 12 year-old boy, infant child, dog, and one fed had been shot. Weaver believed all hope was lost and was holed up in his little cabin with his two surviving daughters and refused to talk to negotiators (for obvious reasons). Col Gritz heard about it, heard that Weaver was a Marine, and went up there saying "He'll talk to me". Weaver did indeed talk to him, and Gritz talked him into surrender before he and his daughters were turned into swiss cheese.

The bittersweet part was that when he finally went to trial, Weaver was acquitted by the jury of all charges against him except for "failure to appear in court". Because he was afraid of the trumped up charges filed against him and afraid he wouldn't be able to get a fair trial he took his family and ran. That mistake cost him half of his family.

Man, did I get off on a tangent. Anyway, Bo was a real hero up through the 80's and early 90's. But I think he has now started his own church and is building a "covenant community" somewhere. Immerse yourself in conspiracy theories and you end up turning into a nut. Or you just feel really stupid when you step back out into reality. I know I did. *blush*
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Follow up:

Just did a bit more reading. Looks like he left his "Almost Heaven" project and went home to Nevada in 1998.

Also read a bit more about the stuff he was doing in the 80's. He really was immersed in conspiracy theories! :shock: But then, so was I in the earliest of the 90's...
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

ElfDude wrote:Follow up:

Just did a bit more reading. Looks like he left his "Almost Heaven" project and went home to Nevada in 1998.
Not what I heard Elf....

I heard he was SUED by the state of West Virginia for "Almost Heaven" copyright infringement. :P
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

ElfDude wrote:Cool! That's one thing about libertarians, they will tell you what they think and what they plan on doing, rather than run a masquerade campaign.

I wasn't old enough to vote in 1980. :(

In '84 I voted for Ronald Reagan. A bit obvious perhaps, but it's always nice to back a winner once in a while. :)

In 1988 My vote went to libertarian, Ron Paul.

In 1992 I was a conspiracy kook and voted for the most decorated green-beret ever who (I think) was running on the populist ticket.

He was awesome at the time. Now he's really gone of the deep end. :(
damn, that is a serious chest full of cabbage.. :shock:
Happy 2015!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

CygnusX1 wrote:

Not what I heard Elf....

I heard he was SUED by the state of West Virginia for "Almost Heaven" copyright infringement. :P
West Virginia doesn't own that phrase, John Denver's estate does. :)
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

I wasn't old enough to vote in 1980.
Half of me was in an ovary and the other half a sperm. :shock:
We're all mad here!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

ElfDude wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:

Not what I heard Elf....

West Virginia doesn't own that phrase, John Denver's estate does. :)
Yay! John!
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

I WAS ONLY KIDDING!! :P

Cut-my-legs-off-and-call-me-shorty. :roll: