Abortion = Murder?

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Big Blue Owl

Abortion = Murder?

Post by Big Blue Owl »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk6t_tdOkwo

If abortion is illegal and murder, then women who have illegal abortions should be executed or at least be put into prison for "Life", right?
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

Well, since you ask, I'll offer my view.

I think anything that is illegal should have some form of punishment attached. That only makes sense. What that punishment should be, I cannot be sure. The reason I cannot be sure, I admit, is that I haven't thought much about it.

From my worldview, what man considers a reasonable punishment is secondary to what God determines. I believe abortion is killing of the innocent, and as such, will be reckoned with by our Creator. Fortunately for myself and everyone else, I am not the ultimate Judge.

Nonetheless, if man determines anything to be illegal, there should be not only a punishment attached, but a system with the fortitude to follow through with the punishment. Unfortunately, that's not the world we are living in right now . . .
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Good points, Zep. Thanks for responding.

I'm still trying to figure out the puzzle;

Murder = Life in prison or execution.
Abortion = murder.
So,
Abortion = Life in prison or execution. :?
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

BBO,

IF Abortion equals murder, and IF the sentence for murder is death or life behind bars, I would have to conclude that abortion should result in death or life behind bars.

Enter political correctness and/or misdirected compassion. We often feel so strongly for the welfare of the perpetrator, we often become desensitized to the welfare of the victim or the heinousness of the crime. Also, we are overly concerned about what others will think about our decision.

All any of us can do is keep a clean conscience before our Supreme Being, Whomever that may be.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

If abortion is murder, then it would also follow that attempted but failed abortion would be considered attempted murder, and my grandmother could have been tried for attempting to kill my mother.

I am glad my mom survived!

:hello1:
Onward and Upward!
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

I am also glad the mum survived, because now the world has t! That's a good thing.

Nonetheless, if we were to suspend the rule of law for our own personal gain (having t in our lives), then the law would be worthless, and we would be the proof that laws are needed to restrain the carnal desires of man.

I think that we all need to recognize that without laws and a willingness to abide by them, any society would crumble in upon itself.

That being said, I need to take it a step further and apply that reasoning to the abortion issue. If we don't maintain the sanctity of life, no matter what stage of development it is at, there is no point in maintaining a structured system of laws to govern that life.

Laws are about the regulation of life. Without life, laws are impotent. Without a regard for life (regardless the stage), it is all pure vanity and chasing after wind.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Since I seem to be unable to discuss this topic without becoming overly emotional, I'll just stay out of it.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Sounds like a wise choice. Knowing one's limitations can be a good thing.
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Last time we went down this path a few years ago, I ended up owing ER and DA a big apology. Not my finest hour...
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

It's ok Elf. We are out of this one too.
This space for rent
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Walkinghairball wrote:It's ok Elf. We are out of this one too.
Ditto here, but all I'll say is...I respect womens' rights.

Oops. :shock: :???:

oh-look-at-the-time-gotta-go. :cool:
Don't start none...won't be none.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

My point was to get us to think about the subject in a glaring new light. Whether our minds are changed or not, and whether we discuss it out loud or not, we think.

This is not (yet) a third world country. We don't half-bury and stone to death prostitutes and thieves, we don't cut tongues out for saying the wrong things, and we don't execute anybody for aborting a fetus.

We are at least that progressive.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Big Blue Owl wrote:My point was to get us to think about the subject in a glaring new light. Whether our minds are changed or not, and whether we discuss it out loud or not, we think.

This is not (yet) a third world country. We don't half-bury and stone to death prostitutes and thieves, we don't cut tongues out for saying the wrong things, and we don't execute anybody for aborting a fetus.

We are at least that progressive.
Well, in that light, I can comment a little. First, my view of the likely/hypothetical reality in the U.S. Let's assume Roe vs Wade is suddenly overturned and abortion becomes all-out illegal (except in cases of incest, rape, threat to the mother's health, the usual exceptions). Considering that it was something which was legal one day and illegal the next, I can't see any punishment going to anyone but the doctors who performed the illegal operation. Perhaps something like a fine might go to those who sought the illegal operation, but no criminal record.

Now, the personal emotional response, not based on any sort of intellectual process. If I were king, I can't really see myself ordering women who have had abortions into prison for doing so, even though I do see abortion as the shedding of innocent blood.

How's that?
Mr. Potatoe Head

Post by Mr. Potatoe Head »

I am going to skirt the question and show just a little bit of leg.
My thinking goes beyond pro-life and pro-choice leaning more towards
having to do with sustaining the population at a comfortable environmental level.
I don't think it would do any good giving you all my armchair philosophy, as it more than likely would end up being an acerbic assault on faith
and that does no good?. so save a tree and pet your favorite Beaver.

Why make a choice when the choice is already apparent, at least in this country.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Sexy leg there, man! :)