The best alive!!!

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

KaelMwithascrubbrush
Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

The best alive!!!

Post by KaelMwithascrubbrush »

I don't bring this up to start a nasty debate, but to share with some of you who may not be into drummers one incredible player. This is a young German drummer named Marco Minneman, who has made a name for himself in the drumming world as a really innovator and real musical drummer. Below are some links to clips of him playing some jaw-dropping stuff.

His performance of "Time Check" with the Buddy Rich Band, I think solidifies his status among absolute drum gods. This song has been a kind of benchmark among drummers; if you can play this well, then you have to be taken seriously. In my opinion, this performance actually eclipses any version of this song I've heard with Buddy Rich (for what that's worth). Buddy Rich, of course, is one of Neil Peart's primary influences and considered by many drummers to be the best ever...certainly the most influential drummer of all time. As a drummer, I consider Minneman the best alive...and maybe the best ever. (Hairball, this takes nothing from Gavin Harrison, whom I hold in just about as high esteem.) Again, I don't want to start a nasty debate. Just check out the links and bask in some absolutely amazaing and innovative drumming. :shock: :D 8)

Time Check:
http://drummerworld.com/Videos/marcomin ... check.html

Streets:
http://drummerworld.com/Videos/marcomin ... reets.html

A Place in the Sun:
http://drummerworld.com/Videos/marcomin ... cesun.html
"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."
-Steven Wright
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

I will check the clips out at home, my work pc is a tad slow on the vid clip thinger.

Btw, I can't see this causing any stir.
This space for rent
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

:shock:

That's some mighty impressive drumming there...
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

If he can whip Terry Bozzio he's got MY vote. :cool:
Don't start none...won't be none.
KaelMwithascrubbrush
Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

Post by KaelMwithascrubbrush »

Bozzio is insane!!! And that drum set, the S.S. Bozzio.... As far a raw physical skill, Minneman is at least as good as Bozzio. As far as creativity and musicality, they're also pretty close as well. Minneman is a bit busier than Bozzio, but Bozzio is a more compositional and structured drummer.... For Minneman, think Bozzio with a jazzier edge.
"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."
-Steven Wright
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Bozzio is all about solo melodic drumming the now. I saw a clinic he did about 13 years ago from 4 rows back and I couldn't believe one person could do what he does.

Minneman is his own creature for sure. I like his chops and how he punches the big band. The other stuff was freakin groovy too. :-D
This space for rent
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Great post Kael. Thoroughly enjoyed the clips of course...yet another mind blowing drummer who's ability far exceeds my own, lol.
I still say that Gavin Harrison is just about THE drummer for me these past eighteen months or so, even eclipsing a certain Mr Peart(!). I have his 'Rhthmic Illusions' book and cd and it's bastard hard. I'm currently up to 'example 15' from a total of 99 'examples'. I wish I could read the notation though :)
It's the likes of Gavin Harrison and Minneman that often renders my attempts at drumming quite futile. I'm grooving quite nicely of late, probably due to so much practising but I'm stuck in a rut for sure.
I've been listening to alot of Pearl Jam recently and have always rated Dave Abbruzzese.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Matt Abts (Gov't Mule) is right outta the "Buddy Rich school" too.

Grammy-nominated...Just like Neil.

You should check him out.
Don't start none...won't be none.