Concert Review -- Saddledome, Calgary -- July 18, 2007

Something to do with Rush coming up? Post it here.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

by-tor

Concert Review -- Saddledome, Calgary -- July 18, 2007

Post by by-tor »

Saddledome, Calgary -- July 18, 2007
By <a href="mailto:tara.merrin@calgarysun.com">Tara Merrin</a> - Sun Media
Original Article - <a href="http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/R/Rus ... 1-sun.html" target="_new">Click Here</a>
Posted From - <a href="http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/" target="_new">JAM! Music<a>

CALGARY -- If Rush is an acquired taste, three hours and 10 minutes of Rush should be long enough to gain a strong liking for it.

It should be, but, sadly, it's not.

Now, to be fair, I am not a fan of Rush's music. In fact, my idea of torture is being locked in a room as Tom Sawyer plays over and over and over. And, while I felt I could go into last night's marathon at the Saddledome with an open mind (jacked full of "pre-emptive strike" headache meds mind you), 34 years of loathing can not simply be erased.

Thankfully, my husband, unbeknownst to me, is a Rush devotee, so with him along for the ride, assuring my review was not completely bias, I prepared, and hoped, to be proven wrong.

It started out looking as though that's exactly what would happen.

After the houselights dimmed and an eruption of light and noise filled the arena, Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart appeared, ripping through a breathless bundle of songs including Limelight, Digital Man, Entre Nous and Mission.

The 27-song set list, which focused heavily on the band's music from the early '80s and the new disc, Snakes & Arrows, was received well by the 11,500 bobbing heads in the room, with each track bringing about another wave of screams and head-bangs.

These Rush enthusiasts clearly respect the band's instrumental expertise.

They roared noticeably louder for Peart's drum solo and Lee and Lifeson's guitar work during the first half of the show, signalling their adoration for the Canadian icons.

These impressive breaks from the lyrics also proved to be the highlight for myself, as they supplied a rest from the nails-on-a-chalkboard sounds of Lee's distinctive voice, which remains as strong and piercing as ever.

Other peaks last night included many videos, which opened both halves of the concert and supplied humour throughout. The standouts were clips of SCTV's Bob and Doug McKenzie, looking much older, as they introduced The Larger Bowl and a witty South Park sketch, which opened Tom Sawyer.

On a side note, one has to admire a band that brings three rotisserie chicken ovens as its stage dressing and starts the show with a video of dream, within a dream, within a dream. No one likes people who take themselves too seriously, after all.

Between the funny bits and the insane musical interludes, the three hours flew by, my eardrums not bleeding, yet my allergy to Lee's high-pitched nasal voice still very much alive.

But while I did not gain a new love of Rush, the thousands of fans chanting the band's name at the end of the night (as well as my better-half, who threatened to leave me if I gave them a poor review) assured me, or rather convinced me, they rocked.
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

Ahhh,
he should leave her anyway.
:-D
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Hahahahahaha. Tom Sawyer, torture.......as if.
This space for rent
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Actually, that was a GREAT review. This "C" actually hates them, but didn't drag out all the usual, tired arguments against them (apart from Geddy's voice, and for that she can F off). But at least she was fairly objective and noticed how everyone else was diggin' it.
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
doctorbraino

Post by doctorbraino »

Big Blue Owl wrote:Actually, that was a GREAT review. This "C" actually hates them, but didn't drag out all the usual, tired arguments against them (apart from Geddy's voice, and for that she can F off). But at least she was fairly objective and noticed how everyone else was diggin' it.
"C" unfortunately shares the same view that most XX chromosomers have. One of my crowning achievements with my wife was the ability to have Rush played at my wedding. Picture this, pretty swanky joint, everyone is eating and I arranged ahead of time to have the DJ play Bastille Day during the middle of a "Motown" set.
Did you ever wonder why "Happily ever after" never applied to you?
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

doctorbraino wrote:
Big Blue Owl wrote:Actually, that was a GREAT review. This "C" actually hates them, but didn't drag out all the usual, tired arguments against them (apart from Geddy's voice, and for that she can F off). But at least she was fairly objective and noticed how everyone else was diggin' it.
"C" unfortunately shares the same view that most XX chromosomers have. One of my crowning achievements with my wife was the ability to have Rush played at my wedding. Picture this, pretty swanky joint, everyone is eating and I arranged ahead of time to have the DJ play Bastille Day during the middle of a "Motown" set.
(we really need a salaam/"We're not worthy" avatar)
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

doctorbraino wrote:

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Happy 2015!
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

I was going to have Resist played at ours, but in the
busyness forgot to grab the T4E CD.
D'oh!!!
funky cm

Post by funky cm »

reviewer biased, and let everyone know beforehand

the show rocked

it was stinking hot, lineups for everthing were too long, but loved every minute of it
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Great to hear, funky cm! I was a bit irritated at that "review" and although I would never say "C" about that woman I am gratified to know so many Rush chicks on this forum do NOT feel the way she does. :-D

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

You mean you really like this band?
:shock:

:razz: 8)
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Middle Kingdom wrote:You mean you really like this band?
:shock:

:razz: 8)
Nah. Just passin' the time. Oy! :razz:

Mr. Potatoe Head

Post by Mr. Potatoe Head »

My wife first heard Rush in 1977 and she had more of their albums than I did.
I scored big time marrying her :-D
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Mr. Potatoe Head wrote:My wife first heard Rush in 1977 and she had more of their albums than I did.
I scored big time marrying her :-D
Definitely! :-D

Unfortunately I've found it a rarity in life. :(

Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

You've had trouble finding wives that like Rush too Kares?

:(

:lol: