Superficial Presidential Thread

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

ElfDude wrote:
Big Blue Owl wrote: the next president will either be a white woman or a black man. What do you think about that? :)
I wish it would be a black woman! :-D

"If I ever get my hands on him..."
Scary :shock:
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Big Blue Owl wrote:McCain...Poor old coot forgot to turn on the gas. Nope, unless the election is rigged like it was last time, the next president will either be a white woman or a black man. What do you think about that? :)
I think BOTH WILL LOSE the election for taking Rezco's dirty money.

Hey, you asked.....

On another note, "60 Minutes" proved the WMD!

How'd they do that? I mean, what is the "Bush lied" crowd
gonna accuse W of lying about now?

Don't care about it myself, but it does beg the question.
Don't start none...won't be none.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

I think BOTH WILL LOSE the election for taking Rezco's dirty money.
Fair enough, but weigh that against the self-tarnished reputation of the Republican party and a betting man would put his nut on Dems this time, whether that is clear-thinking or not. It sounds like drinking thinking, actually, but the economy, country morale and our armed forces can only be stretched so far, yeah?

60 minutes proved WMD? I have to find a link to that segment. I missed the broadcast. Shouldn't be too hard to find. If true it sounds like a shocking revelation that would be on the front page of every newspaper and news website.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I know that this is supposed to be the superficial thread. But I must say again, this is probably the most fascinating election cycle in my lifetime.

- We have no incumbant or former vice president running. The field is WIDE open.

- We have a very split view on what the economy is doing. Some think it's strong and others think we;re going into recession.

- We have a former first lady running (who many thought was inevitable, but is now facing unexpected challenges)

- We have a nation that was highly polarized during the Clinton years, and then even more polarized during the Bush years. Both sides want a candidate that is truly amazing. Both sides want the polarization to be healed (except for the fringe extremists who dig that stuff).

- We have the Democrat party completely split, bitter and angry, throwing about charges of racism and lying at other Democrats instead of at Republicans.

- We have the Republican party split (quite a bit by Bush himself) between the the old blue-blood country club faction and the Reagan conservative faction who are angry with each other.

I'm trying to watch and learn all that I can from this. I suspect that there are a lot of lessons to be learned, and I don't wanna miss out on them.

I've never seen anything like this, and would suggest that it is still way too early to start making predictions about who will be in the White House. We've still got a big ol' roller coaster ride ahead of us. :)
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Right on...I can't agree more...

Except for the part about our economy possibly being strong. Even Ray Charles can see that:

In January 2001 the strength of the U.S. dollar was 1.07 Euros per dollar
Now under Bush it is 0.68 Euros per dollar.

Trade deficit: Then 380 Billion. Now 759 Billion.

Consumer Credit debt: Then 7.65 trillion - now 12.8 trillion

Here is a chart I found of the mess.

'Taint good.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Big Blue Owl wrote:
Consumer Credit debt: Then 7.65 trillion - now 12.8 trillion

'Taint good.
Dude, blaming Dubya for CC debt is like blaming the American Cancer Society for cancer.

Nobody twists the arms of us to pay with plastic or engulf ourselves in debt...

Besides, last I looked, interest rates are FALLING, and foreign investors are trampling over each other to buy American.

Don't jump ship YET.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

BBO: Agreed on some points.

For the last few years congress has been spending like there's no tomorrow. That has to stop yesterday. The national debt scares the crap out of me. (notice that Hillary has already proposed $800,000,000,000 per year in new government programs... just something to consider)

Consumer credit - that's our own darn fault, not the fault of any particular politician so I don't really see it as an election issue.

Trade deficit - my response there is pretty much, "So what?" Over the last 22 years I've had a very blatant trade defecit with my grocer. So have all my friends. So did my parents. And their parents. But we all (grocers and customers) still seem to be doing just fine. :)

I'm not really trying to make an arguement for either side here about where the economy stands. Just trying to point out that there really is a division of opinion. Some economists can explain how the economy is self-correcting and we're simply in a period of correction right now. Others see doom and gloom on the horizon.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Nah, I'm just illustrating how the economy is worse now than then and not just by a little...by unbelievable measures. The chart was completely biased, but it had the raw numbers.

I won't jump the America ship until it has completely sunk. Then I'll get some scuba gear :-)
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Any of you catch the proposal of plans for new infrastructure construction?

Remember the NEW DEAL?

It's not so new, is it?

History repeats itself once again. Better days are comin'.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Big Blue Owl wrote: I won't jump the America ship until it has completely sunk. Then I'll get some scuba gear :-)
The guy in your signature did prophesy in the 1830's that the day would come when the constitution would "hang by a thread"...
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

It makes me smile that this forum seems to be "The Union Of The Opposites." All with valid points and opinions, and all with good intentions.

That's the kind of congress I'd like to see, the kind of world I want to be surrounded by.
the day would come when the constitution would "hang by a thread"...
Let's hope that rope is made of hemp. It'll bend and stretch, but not break. :-)
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Big Blue Owl wrote:It makes me smile that this forum seems to be "The Union Of The Opposites." All with valid points and opinions, and all with good intentions.

Hey...this country was FOUNDED by folks that didn't Ged along! :headbang:
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

CygnusX1 wrote: Hey...this country was FOUNDED by folks that didn't Ged along! :headbang:
And they were a bunch of pansies!!! Ever look at what they wore?

Just bringing us back to the superficial nature of this thread. :)
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Haha! Look at the tennis player in the background :-D

They had very diggable hairstyles.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

It was James K. Polk in 1844 who had the surprisingly modern hairstyle. :)