September 17, 2007--The GAAAHHDEN

Here's your seat for the new tour. There may be, wait, there WILL be spoilers so if you don't want to know, don't go! So pull up a lawn chair and discuss...

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

LisaBug2112

Post by LisaBug2112 »

I meant tears of joy by the way, in case anyone mis-understood.
"Like a flower in the desert that only blooms at night i will quietly resist I dont have faith in faith i dont believe in beliefs you can call me faithless i still kling to hope & i believe in love and thats faith enough for me."
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

LisaBug2112 wrote:I meant tears of joy by the way, in case anyone mis-understood.
Thank you, Lisa. I appreciate what you meant. :) I was crying too!! :shock:

Thanks so much for the awesome sentiments guys. It means a lot and coming from you is much more because I know it was something we ALL want (and deserve). Much love.

Hairy, you're right. You WERE a part of it. MAN!!! Your phonecall was so beautifully timed I can't TELL you!!! Wow! When I say I was freaking out I mean I was FREAKING OUT!!! I thought I didn't have the tickets!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: I felt alone and panicky and it was SO great to hear your deep, rumbling, calming voice. Talk about having a friend around when you need him!!! :shock: :-D

Workin' Them Angels! :angel4:

I didn't know you were calling from work when I called back. I didn't have your "regular" number with me or I would have called you on the cell during the concert so you could "share" with us as you were a part of it by then! :lol: The show started about 5 minutes after I hung up with you.

I hope this doesn't "mar" anyone's perception of the concert (it may so LOOK AWAY!!!! THEY'RE HIDEOUS!!!!) but I'm going to post some of the "blobs" anyway.

Al's "pose" for my cell:

More Al:

Al again...

Geddy on the Rik during "Bangkok" (ugh if any of them were to come out I wished it were THIS one...took it specially for Xanny)

Geddy during YYZ:

A very nice angle of Geddy (in person anyway) :twisted:

The camera makes the pics look like they were further away than they were but believe me they were RIGHT in our faces!! :shock: :-D 8)

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

*stumbles in to this thread all late and embarrassed*

HOLY COW! :shock: This is all dream come true kind of stuff! Absolutely amazing!
Congratulations you two!
Wow!!!

Speechless...
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Thanks, Elfie. :) It still doesn't seem real...

MK, I LOVE when you talk Chowdah. :-D

ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Kares4Rush wrote:Thanks, Elfie. :) It still doesn't seem real...
I wish I could have come too. Though you probably wouldn't want to hold hands while standing that close to Geddy...
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Hairy, you're right. You WERE a part of it. MAN!!! Your phonecall was so beautifully timed I can't TELL you!!! Wow! When I say I was freaking out I mean I was FREAKING OUT!!! I thought I didn't have the tickets!!! I felt alone and panicky and it was SO great to hear your deep, rumbling, calming voice. Talk about having a friend around when you need him!!!

Workin' Them Angels!

I didn't know you were calling from work when I called back. I didn't have your "regular" number with me or I would have called you on the cell during the concert so you could "share" with us as you were a part of it by then! The show started about 5 minutes after I hung up with you.
And if I would have been thinking, I would have given you my cell number.....................*feels like a big dumb guy*
This space for rent
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

ElfDude wrote:
Kares4Rush wrote:Thanks, Elfie. :) It still doesn't seem real...
I wish I could have come too. Though you probably wouldn't want to hold hands while standing that close to Geddy...
Well, who knows? Actually at one point I grabbed this poor guy next to me (he didn't feel well during the show) and screamed, "Aren't you EXCITED???" He laughed and said, "I am NOW!!" :oops: :lol:

Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Walkinghairball wrote:
Hairy, you're right. You WERE a part of it. MAN!!! Your phonecall was so beautifully timed I can't TELL you!!! Wow! When I say I was freaking out I mean I was FREAKING OUT!!! I thought I didn't have the tickets!!! I felt alone and panicky and it was SO great to hear your deep, rumbling, calming voice. Talk about having a friend around when you need him!!!

Workin' Them Angels!

I didn't know you were calling from work when I called back. I didn't have your "regular" number with me or I would have called you on the cell during the concert so you could "share" with us as you were a part of it by then! The show started about 5 minutes after I hung up with you.
And if I would have been thinking, I would have given you my cell number.....................*feels like a big dumb guy*
You were thinking when I NEEDED you!!! 8) Karma.

Wendy

Post by Wendy »

Hey those are good photos for a cell.
The pic of Geddy on the Rik during "Bangkok"
has a very unusual halo effect above him.

Cool Pix
Sound verbalized tones touch textured feel scent wafted aroma see visualize observe sing dance live
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

Geddy on the Rik during "Bangkok" (ugh if any of them were to come out I wished it were THIS one...took it specially for Xanny)
OMG he absolutely ROCKED on the Rickenbacker!!!! That will forever be my fav bass!!! I loved the fret less bass as well. Even tho the picture didn't turn out, the image in my head has perfect clarity and not to mention so does the sound!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!! :-D
We're all mad here!
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

So you had a good time there then?
This space for rent
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

The whole time Kares was desperately waiting for the tickets my brother kept saying "we'll never make it" as we sat in traffic at the Lincoln Tunnel. Let me tell you what when we FINALLY got out of the tunnel I was on a MISSION. Not even crazyass NY cab drivers were going to ged in my way dammit! :evil: It was fate and I knew it then, and we made it, at the last damn minute but we made it :-D
We're all mad here!
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

Walkinghairball wrote:So you had a good time there then?
lemme PM you h/o just a sec :-D
We're all mad here!
rushfanfla

Post by rushfanfla »

Happy to hear both of you had such a great time. Found a review of the show from the NY Times:

Music Review | Rush
Arena Rock With a Worldview and All the Flash Trimmings

The guitarist Alex Lifeson and the Canadian rock band Rush performed at Madison Square Garden on Monday night.

By JON PARELES
Published: September 19, 2007

The rock band at Madison Square Garden on Monday night was a trio that got together in the 1970s and has been selling out arena dates on a world tour this year. It has a bass-playing, reedy-voiced lead singer, a briskly virtuosic drummer and a guitarist who spills echoey chords over their riffs. Its songs contemplate the state of the world.

No, it wasn?t the Police ? it was Rush, the stalwart Canadian band that didn?t have to reunite. Without a string of pop hits or much that?s even remotely glamorous, Rush has maintained one of rock?s biggest cult followings.

Rush has improbable ingredients for popularity. The music is grounded in progressive rock, with odd-meter riffs from Geddy Lee on bass and Neil Peart on drums below the guitarist Alex Lifeson?s power chords and pealing arpeggios. Once scorned, progressive rock has started a comeback, notably with the Mars Volta, whose grotesque imagery and manic attack can make elders like Rush sound didactic.

Mr. Lee uses his high, cutting voice to sing philosophical lyrics, calling for heroic honesty in a corrupt and shallow world: cultish conviction to defy scoffers. In a 20-year-old song, ?Mission,? he sang, ?a spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission.? Over the years Mr. Peart, the band?s lyricist, has grown far less optimistic. Songs from Rush?s vigorous current album, ?Snakes & Arrows? (Atlantic) denounced fundamentalism (?The Way the Wind Blows?) and bemoaned disparities of wealth and fate: ?Such a lot of pain on this earth,? he sang in ?The Larger Bowl.?

In two hours of music Rush touched on the grandiosity of Genesis, on garage psychedelia and even, for a few moments in ?Digital Man,? the reggae backbeat of the Police. Rush improves as its music grows more elaborate. The trio plays with unrelenting muscle, pounding out the intricacies of its songs, but rarely letting them breathe. Its shorter tunes can get stuck in a continuous churn, but multipart extravaganzas like ?Natural Science? hurtled through their contrasts.

The concert was arena rock with all the trimmings. Naturally, the set opened with ?Limelight,? a song with misgivings about stardom. Later, green lasers fanned out over the band, while overhead lighting rigs moved like U.F.O.?s. Flash pots flamed up in one song, fireworks showered in another. ?Tom Sawyer? had a video lead-in with characters from ?South Park.? And Mr. Peart took a drum solo ? that arena-rock essential ? on a revolving platform, though it segued into a digital-era fantasia of big-band samples.

Lest anyone think Rush lacks a sense of humor ? of a sort ? the refrigerator-sized cabinets behind Mr. Lee weren?t amplifiers for his bass. They were glass-fronted rotisserie ovens filled with rotating chickens, and every so often a man in a toque came out to baste them. What it meant was something for die-hard Rush fans to ponder.
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Thanks so much rff!!! Made me relive the evening! :-D