Florida Police

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

ElfDude

Florida Police

Post by ElfDude »

A glimpse into the kind of officers Alex Lifeson must have had his run-in with...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6bVa6jn4rpE& ... ed&search=
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

I think that was ok.

I didnt hear a tazer either.

Like one of the comments said below, even if you think you are right don't resist arrest, make your case in court.
This space for rent
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Police admit to using a taser. They say say the kid was partially cuffed at the time. You can hear him scream when they do it... right after he cries, "Don't tase me, bro!"

Sure he needed to be hauled out of there for causing a disruption. But Cindy Sheehan gets herself arrested all the time at events like this, and they never use a taser on her despite her yelling and causing a fuss. That's supposed to be for when officers are being threatened.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

I still didn't hear the crackling zot of the tazer. I did hear him beg to not be then he just went into ow ow ow ow ow so probably. And no I don't think the cops were looking threatened in any way. Never said some cops weren't a little overzealous, just ask my brother.

I don't see Cindy Sheehan as being able to beat anything up so no tazer for her either......................... wait, has she been arrested in Florida yet???? :razz:
This space for rent
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

LOL!

No, Cindy always goes to DC to get arrested. :)
Toward the conclusion of Kerry's UF forum, 21-year-old Andrew Meyer approached an open microphone at University Auditorium and demanded Kerry answer his questions. Meyer, a UF student in the College of Journalism and Communications, claimed that University Police Department officers had already threatened to arrest him, and then proceeded to question Kerry about why he didn't contest the 2004 presidential election and why there had been no moves to impeach President Bush.

A minute or so into what became a combative diatribe, Meyer's microphone was turned off and officers began trying to physically remove him from the auditorium. Meyer flailed his arms, yelling as police tried to restrain him.

He was then pushed to the ground by six officers, at which point Meyer yelled, "What have I done? What I have I done? Get away from me. Get off of me! What did I do? Help me! Help."

Police threatened to use a Taser on Meyer if he did not "comply," but he continued to resist being handcuffed. He was then Tased, which prompted him to scream and writhe in pain on the floor of the auditorium.

After the incident, Capt. Jeff Holcomb of the UPD said Meyer had been charged with disrupting a public event and placed in the Alachua County jail.

Holcomb said there would be an investigation into whether the officers used force appropriately, adding that employing a Taser gun would only be justified in a case where there was a threat of physical harm to officers.
Walkinghairball

I listened to it again, then to a different camera of the same still didn't hear it go off. Even with that as soon as he started to flail around and try to "Shake off" the police they gotta do what they gotta do to stop him.

He got up WAY to coherent and vocal for someone allegedly tazered. Ask my brother. he was tazered till he lost his bladder and was a drooling mess. But my brother is a hulking beast and he egged it on far worse than that guy did.

My nickel. :-)
This space for rent
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Dude? The police aren't denying it. They used the taser on him. They're admitting as much.

We can debate all we want whether or not they should have. But since they admit that they did it, it's kind of silly to say it doesn't look or sound like they did. :? Wasssuuuuuuuuup? :-D
Walkinghairball

Yo, wassup wit you???

My dawg! :-D

No I'm goofin on ya bro.

I have fired far too many machine gun bullets and been playing drums for ever. My ears are shot. So, what was the main point here???? :-D
This space for rent
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Walkinghairball wrote:Yo, wassup wit you???

My dawg! :-D

No I'm goofin on ya bro.

I have fired far too many machine gun bullets and been playing drums for ever. My ears are shot. So, what was the main point here???? :-D
Um... when I saw the video I thought of Alex Lifeson. He got tased, shoved down stairs, and a broken nose in Florida. Now I see the kind of Florida police mentality that he was up against. That's all.
Walkinghairball

Right. Yeah, they should work on technique before more people get health problems from overzealous tazerings.
This space for rent
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

I go with the philosophy that if a cop tells you to do something, do it no matter if you are guilty or innocent. Work it out after the initial confrontation.
This case is police brutality. They were in no danger and they tazed the snot out of him, while handcuffed (full or partially). It'll work out in the investigation, and hopefully do some good toward exposing overzealous cops (or The Filth, as they call them in the U.K.)
It's awesome that so many things like this are caught on tape now. No more hiding in the shadows, buttknockers.
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Big Blue Owl wrote:I go with the philosophy that if a cop tells you to do something, do it no matter if you are guilty or innocent. Work it out after the initial confrontation.
Agreed, 100%. This kid was a doofus to behave the way he did.

The kid is a journalism student, which probably says a lot. I think he was pretending to be Chris Matthews, asking some hard-ball questions of the senator.
"Why didn't you contest the 2004 election results?!"
"Why haven't you tried to impeach Bush?!"
"Aren't you both Skull and Bones members?!"
This just wasn't the place for it. Maybe when you have your own show and the senator is your guest, but not in there.

Oh, and as to complying with the police... showing them your ID that says you're a US senator does not automatically get you off the hook. Larry Craig sure learned that the hard way... :razz:
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Walkinghairball wrote:Right. Yeah, they should work on technique before more people get health problems from overzealous tazerings.
I agree with Hairy.

As a electrical dude, I can assure you that electrical shock
DEFINITELY hurts the human body over time, whether it be
high-voltage/low amperage shocks (taser, defibrillator) or low-voltage/high
amperage shocks (the ceiling fan wiring that got ya, or the
receptacle you shoulda turned off before you went to ground
[or neutral] touching the terminals), etc.

Long-term effects are a crap shoot. Some may get 'em - others not.

My point is, just because Alex (or others that were tasered) feel okay weeks, months,
even years after the initial shock episode - it doesn't necessarily mean that they won't
suffer after-effects down the road of life.

Don't think for a second that 10,000 volts at low amperage making
your muscles contract to rigidity doesn't harm the body, much less
REPEATED shocks...

(As in relation to high voltages, that make you burn, break your own bones,
pulverize your teeth and literally cook you from the inside out.)

Sorry so gross, but I'm just giving you the straight poop.

In time we may see the opposite. Alex may, indeed, have health
troubles down the road...we just don't know.
Don't start none...won't be none.
Wendy

Post by Wendy »

This is absolutely fucking outrageous. We have the right to free speech?
We have the right to peaceful protest? First the arrests of 190 people
protesting in Washington (under what circumstances I don't know)
Now this blatant disregard for our right to speak our minds freely?
Are we heading back to the dark ages? What's next a repeat of this:
Sound verbalized tones touch textured feel scent wafted aroma see visualize observe sing dance live
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Tin soldiers and Nixon's coming
We're finally on our own
This summer I hear the drumming
Four dead in Ohio...
Gotta get down to it
Soldiers are cutting us down
Should have been done long ago
What if you knew her and
Found her dead on the ground?
How can you run when you know?