Serj Tankian (SOAD)

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Ogg

Serj Tankian (SOAD)

Post by Ogg »

Playing the lead single 'The Unthinking Majority' from Serj Tankian. Cool chune, not the departure from the SOAD sound I was expecting but looking forward to the album.
Anyone else aware?

'Elect the Dead' is the debut solo album by System of a Down frontman Serj Tankian, expected to be released on October 23, 2007.
? It's very wide sounding-- lots of different sounding instruments. The excitement I had making this record was the same excitement I had making the first System record. ?
?Serj Tankian
He played most of the instruments himself but did get help from System of a Down drummer John Dolmayan and former Primus/current Guns N' Roses drummer Bryan "Brain" Mantia, along with Dan Monti on guitar and bass, Ler LaLonde on guitar, opera singer Ani Maldjian and some string players, Antonio Pontarelli among them. Tankian plans on touring as soon as he believes his new material is ready..."
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

So much I've never heard before...
Onward and Upward!
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

I dunno, it shouldnt take a daft englishman to point you americans towards some great american bands! I'm sure I've seen SOAD mentioned here somewhere.
Thanks once again for posting t, thus removing the 'no comment' embarrassment :-) .
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Yeah, System was one of the best bands at Ozzfest last time. Fierce and fun.

Lalonde is the former guitarist of Primus, but I really dug his playing with Possessed. Speeeeeeed Metal, baby.
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

As for this American, I hardly ever listen to radio, so it is a bit hard to find new bands without the help of a friend. But, isn't that part of what a friend is for....to help you get by? *wink*
Onward and Upward!
exit

Re: Serj Tankian (SOAD)

Post by exit »

Ogg wrote:Playing the lead single 'The Unthinking Majority' from Serj Tankian. Cool chune, not the departure from the SOAD sound I was expecting but looking forward to the album.
Anyone else aware?

'Elect the Dead' is the debut solo album by System of a Down frontman Serj Tankian, expected to be released on October 23, 2007.
? It's very wide sounding-- lots of different sounding instruments. The excitement I had making this record was the same excitement I had making the first System record. ?
?Serj Tankian
He played most of the instruments himself but did get help from System of a Down drummer John Dolmayan and former Primus/current Guns N' Roses drummer Bryan "Brain" Mantia, along with Dan Monti on guitar and bass, Ler LaLonde on guitar, opera singer Ani Maldjian and some string players, Antonio Pontarelli among them. Tankian plans on touring as soon as he believes his new material is ready..."
I'm a big fan of SOAD Serj has such a great voice range and so original, i will buy his solo album.
DoctorX

Post by DoctorX »

I always thought of Possessed as death metal (one of the first death metal bands ever), but yeah, they fucking rocked.

The video for the single is really good. I strongly recommend it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZSKvSz1roQ

I like this song a lot. It sounds like what SOAD would be doing if Daren and Serj didn't hate each other. Well, maybe it's a little more goth and low-key than SOAD, but several of the elements are still in place. :roll:
Strength and beauty destined to decay
so cut the rose in full bloom.
Till the fearless come and the act is done
A love like blood
a love like blood

~Killing Joke~
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Big Blue Owl wrote:Lalonde is the former guitarist of Primus
PRI-MUS SUCKS!!

PRI-MUS SUCKS!! :headbang:
Don't start none...won't be none.
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

CygnusX1 wrote:
PRI-MUS SUCKS!!

that is true indeed, can't say I was fond of SOAD either though
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Sir Myghin wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:
PRI-MUS SUCKS!!

that is true indeed, can't say I was fond of SOAD either though
whoa whoa Myg....I was kidding Bro!

(That's what the fans shout at Primus shows....)

Claypool actually encourages it! :-D
DoctorX

Post by DoctorX »

Hehe. I was at a show once, where Les said "we don't like that chant anymore. The band has improved quite a bit since then, and it would be nice if you could chant 'Primus is mediocre'!"

Apparently the whole "Primus sucks!" chant began back when they were a small time local band in San Fran. Some fans were following Les around town everywhere, shouting "Primus rules!" Les finally stopped them at one point, declaring "no, no... I think we really suck."

The rest is history. :lol:
A love like blood
a love like blood

~Killing Joke~
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

DoctorX wrote:Hehe. I was at a show once, where Les said "we don't like that chant anymore. The band has improved quite a bit since then, and it would be nice if you could chant 'Primus is mediocre'!"

Apparently the whole "Primus sucks!" chant began back when they were a small time local band in San Fran. Some fans were following Les around town everywhere, shouting "Primus rules!" Les finally stopped them at one point, declaring "no, no... I think we really suck."

The rest is history. :lol:
there-ya-have-it folks.

thankyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I like it when people don't think too highly of themselves. :D
Onward and Upward!
DoctorX

Post by DoctorX »

Self-deprecating humor has its charm, especially coming from virtuoso musicians. :-D
A love like blood
a love like blood

~Killing Joke~
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

DoctorX wrote:Self-deprecating humor has its charm, especially coming from virtuoso musicians. :-D
I self deprecate but I'm only a would-be drummer...is this wrong? :-D