By-torian's original music and recordings

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Thank you to all who took the time to listen to "Alone." It's not a usual song for me to write. I guess I was just in a mood. :-)
Last edited by Big Blue Owl on Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

ElfDude wrote:Here, I'll share one more. The title track to my kids album, Homework Blues
Another 'Wow!' here. I take it all back Elfie :-) I felt an AC/DC vibe buried beneath the obvious edge present. I actually feel your blues Elfie!!! Is that ok? There's me thinking you're all safe and cuddly... :-D

Big Blue Owl wrote:Thank you to all who took the time to listen to "Alone." It's not a usual song for me to write. I guess I was just in a mood. :-)

Here is a suite of music I wrote and am recording with my brother. The usual formula is; I'll use a drum machine and write & arrange songs, record them in their raw form, then burn a disk for bro to listen to and make up drum parts for. Sometimes, if the bass part seems to need it, we give a copy to a bass player (Gregg) to grind out a better (Geddier) performance than I can handle. Keyboards happen when someone has an idea for a riff or part, and I'm not looking forward to having to work these out for a live performance. It'll probably inspire many-a-Taurus pedal dance, though :-)

This album has been in the works for a while now, every once in a while we can get together to patch up a solo, do a vocal, record back-ups, etc. but it's slow-going in my opinion.
So out of impatience and a little frustration (and to kick my butt into completing the project) I whipped into the studio and did some quick, barely passable mixdowns of the basic tracks to share with ya. There are vocals that will be fixed or changed all together, solos that will eventually be re-worked, etc., etc., but I think you all can hear through the crap to the song underneath. Also, the transfer to digital (using Goldwave) has done something bad to the over-all sound, giving it that special "mp3" sizzle in the high-end and warbling the lows, but again, most of you have had to make the same excuse, so you'll probably understand. :) I give the choice of Wave or MP3 for download.
There are 6 or 7 more songs that go along with these on this album, but I thought I'd start with a few, just in case they cause a mass attack of heaving or hurling :-D

I'm listening to 'change us back' as I'm typing and I'm already impressed BBroO. I cant figure if it's the drum machine or your (real :-) ) Bro (or both even) but if it is your Bro then the cool crisp hat accents have impressed this englishman. Personally I'd love to have a go playing along to this :-)
So this is a mere 'work in progress'? More than impressed with the 3.10 seconds anthemic ending. I get a kinda 'Peter Gabriel' vibe...

'somewhere in between'
Now I'm getting an 80's Ozzy type vibe here mate :-D Loving the chorus...and your geetar playing.

'common man'
Ooh...kewl intro...my daughter insists that you have a Rush sound but I for one hear the mighty 'Queensryche', especially in your vocal. Wow, nice solo mate. My favourite so far. Impressed once again.

'hope'
Hmm...different, cool rhythm, like the bass playing and now convinced of your vocal talent :-) Ah...kewl break at the 1 40 sec mark...me likey! :-D ...and an even more impressive geetar solo to end this pleasing listening experience :-)

BBroO...well done mate. Articulate lyrics, decent songs, arrangements and impressive chops. You have a fan here.

ps: could you host my damn 'Release' song for me...so the others can hear it?
I was explaining to my daughter the level of talent on display here and how we regularly post our offerings. I was asked where my 'Husk' thing fits in and attempted the following...

Imho BBroO deserves the most credit for originality and output. My Bro Hairy earned my respect for his drumming way back and his covers band are on a level unheard of around here but a minus mark for being strictly covers :-) Elfie crosses the finishing line a close third with his musical aptitude and attitude. A multi-instrumentalist to boot and like Hairy is part of a true working band (which is more than I can say about myself). Personally I find Elfie's band a tad too 'safe' for my personal tastes but his 'waterfall' piece more than made up for this.
...and wheezing across the finish line (when all have left for home) comes 'Husk' :-) We simply cant compete with the talent here or lay claim to any credibility for not being a working band. I hope that our 'release' mp3 will convince you that we retain some feel and have angst aplenty....didn't a great bassist say that 'you can have all the chops but the most important is feel'? Can angry angst count as feel? :-D

Well, thanks for indulging me on this quiet sunday afternoon. Well Done BBO once again.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Elf! That's freakin' awesome :D I remember those blues. Unfortunately I usually opted for going over to Lotti's and getting her to do my math homework! Her mom always had Cool-Aid and Beef-a-roni, for Ged's sake, so my hands were tied :-D
I've got your's & Ogg's songs on my mp3 player, and I hope to put many more gems in my "By-Torians" folder.

Ogg, thanks, man. I appreciate you listening to my catter-walling on a Sunday, and for the useful, yet kind feedback.

I kinda don't know what ya mean about "first, second, -most credit- and that. I always seem to honestly consider everyone else better than me, but can't find a way to convey that without sounding artificial or condescending. But aside from that, I really appreciate you taking the time to dig in and really glad you liked it.
Last edited by Big Blue Owl on Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Well, BBO, I just listened to your stuff. You are riddled with talent. Every one of those songs made me feel like I was back in high school with the radio on. They all had this familiar feel to them. You're a better singer than I as well. At times your voice reminds me of Ozzy and at other times of David Lee Roth. It really would be cool if you guys could go out and perform these.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Big Blue Owl wrote: As requested, here is Husk - Release re-hosted: http://www.mediamax.com/johnsongs/Hoste ... 2Bdemo.mp3 :-D
ELFIE!!! Hint bloody Hint!!! :x :x :x :-D :-D
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Wow! :-D This is great! So many songs to add to the computer/MP3 player! I am having fun listening to what my By-torian friends have come up with. I have heard that it is not unusual for Rush fans to be musicians, and this is so proving that some of the Rushians here at BT are that! \m/

I can't see what more I could add to the constructive criticism of the songs. I say keep working, guys, and keep making us all look good! :-D
Onward and Upward!
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Every one of those songs made me feel like I was back in high school with the radio on. They all had this familiar feel to them.
Awesome! That made me smile, Elf. :-)
Last edited by Big Blue Owl on Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Ogg wrote:
Big Blue Owl wrote: As requested, here is Husk - Release re-hosted: http://www.mediamax.com/johnsongs/Hoste ... 2Bdemo.mp3 :-D
Yup! Finally got to hear it. :)

Your band is working in a direction with which I'm not terribly familiar. I know it's not an uncommon sound coming out of the UK... dark and emotional, maybe a little bit angsty. It reminded me a little bit of Radiohead, but only a little. You could name some bands that it sounds a lot more like, I'm sure. It's not exactly my thing but I know that it's a lot of people's thing. Seems to me that you guys could be marketed and be met with cheering crowds. :-D

Your drum work is great. If we were neighbors and I was looking for a drummer, I'd definitely come and ask you. :)
Your guitarist obviously knows what he's doing as well.
A better singer wouldn't hurt the finished product, but you knew that. 8)

As far as "my thing", I'm not even able to play it myself. So don't take what I said in any way as condescending or disparaging (sp?). I love the old 70's prog bands (Yes, Genesis, etc.), but I lack the skills to be able to play music like theirs. So, anything I write tends to be pretty simple. Then I try to throw in something to make it at least a little bit interesting... usually humor in the case of my kids album.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

ElfDude wrote:Here, I'll share one more. The title track to my kids album, Homework Blues
A blues banquet Elf! Good job! The suspended 4ths are tasty.

Lerxst would be pleased. Did you do the lead dubs too?

Sweet.

Well done Elf. I'd buy that.
Don't start none...won't be none.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

CygnusX1 wrote:
A blues banquet Elf! Good job! The suspended 4ths are tasty.

Lerxst would be pleased. Did you do the lead dubs too?

Sweet.

Well done Elf. I'd buy that.
Thanks for the kind words. It's all me, except for the drums. My computer played those.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

ElfDude wrote:Thanks for the kind words. It's all me, except for the drums. My computer played those.
Are you using CakeWalk, FireWire...what?

The tracks are pretty clean.
Don't start none...won't be none.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

CygnusX1 wrote:
ElfDude wrote:Thanks for the kind words. It's all me, except for the drums. My computer played those.
Are you using CakeWalk, FireWire...what?

The tracks are pretty clean.
I have an older Yamaha digital four-track machine (records to mini-disc). I still use it and love it because the mixer is analog. I get to twist knobs and slide faders to mix, instead of working my way through menus. :)
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

I've really got to get around to listening to these, i've also got to finish something I started a few days ago, maybe i'll do that after I mop. I'll post er up when i'm done otherwise anything of my is quite dated and not really what i'd like people to hear
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Ogg wrote:

Hey it finally worked for me too!!!!

Cool cool cool.
This space for rent
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Memories of not such fun there. I hated homework.

Good stuff Elfie.
This space for rent