Primaries and Caucuses

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

awip2062

Primaries and Caucuses

Post by awip2062 »

Here in Washington we have both primaries and caucuses. I can vote (by mail) in the primary and I can attend a caucus. Of course, these are for only the Dems and the Repubs, neither of which I am, but they do allow me to participate, I just have to choose to side with one of them for that day of voting.

I'll be sent a ballot with both Dem and Repub candidates and I have to mark only people from one party. I can't vote for a Dem this and a Repub that. I don't like this constraint, but it is law.

But, it may not matter much, if at all, if I vote in the primary anyway. The Dems are not going to use the primary to help choose their man. They will use only the caucuses and party conventions, totally ignoring the votes of the people in the primary. The Repubs are being a bit nicer to us Primary Voters; they will choose half on the basis of the caucuses and conventions and half on the primary.
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Re: Primaries and Caucuses

Post by ElfDude »

awip2062 wrote: The Repubs are being a bit nicer to us Primary Voters; they will choose half on the basis of the caucuses and conventions and half on the primary.
Are you talking about the number of delagates?
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Yeah, as, even though we mark next to the name of Clinton, Obama, Paul, or whomever, we aren't really voting for the person we mark next to, but for a delegate who will vote for us, and that person may even switch to someone we did not want to vote for. :roll:
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

So, which candidates have collected the most delegates so for?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

The caucuses are 9 Feb, and the primary is 19 Feb, so I don't know yet. Romney and Paul have the most organized campaigns in the state according to today's paper.
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

awip2062 wrote:The caucuses are 9 Feb, and the primary is 19 Feb, so I don't know yet. Romney and Paul have the most organized campaigns in the state according to today's paper.
Taht's because Romney is an organizer by trade and Paul has a rabid bunch of followers! :)

You know... if Romney keeps coming in second in all these states to various other candidates, he could easily have the most delegates at the convention.

But it's not nearly as entertaining as the Clinton vs Obama wars. :)
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Talk about rabid followers! I saw a friend on IM who had written a letter to the paper about Paul. I messaged him that I liked his letter because it was well-written and stated his case without being mean or name-calling like so many letters do, and boy oh boy did I get evangelized! lol
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I meant it in a good way, believe it or not. :) Paul really does engender loyalty.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I like Paul....but I don't. In some areas I am in total agreement with him, others not, so I can't be a rabid endorser of him. Still, I might vote for him in the primary, depending on who else is running at the time.
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Here, Independents are not allowed to vote in a primary.

Why-the-hell NOT? I'm MOVING. :twisted: :roll:
Don't start none...won't be none.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

DAVIE, Fla. (AP) - Hillary Rodham Clinton won the Florida Democratic primary Tuesday night, an event that drew no campaigning by any of her presidential rivals and awarded no delegates to the winner.
I guess I don't understand something. Why are the Florida primaries such a big deal if they don't get the candidate any delegates?
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

^^^
Right on, I don't know.

I also don't know why they think they can go against the rules and have their primary early. It's like Cartman, dressed up like a little gang member prostitute screaming, "What-Ever! I'll do what I want!" Fla. was a problem last election as well. Not for the Republican party, of course, but a problem for truth, justice and the American way.

Kiss my ass, Disney world, alligators and illegal Cubans! :-D

(Now I have to go research and copy bits about how Fla. and Jeb Bush cheated, so I can answer the inevitable, "How exactly did Fla. cheat in 2004?") :-)
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Big Blue Owl wrote: (Now I have to go research and copy bits about how Fla. and Jeb Bush cheated, so I can answer the inevitable, "How exactly did Fla. cheat in 2004?") :-)
Why isn't Jeb Bush running against Hillary Clinton, dangit! We only have two royal families in this country! No one else should be allowed to run!!! ;)
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

ElfDude wrote:http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id ... _article=1

What took him so long?
good riddance to Edwards AND his $400 haircuts.

We don't need that kind of political vanity when people are suffering.

....'bama's next.

....Then Hill' goes down in the big one....

McCain looks to be the only one with ANY form of leadership ability
since Rudy punted last night....
Don't start none...won't be none.