California: Just Plain Removing Your Rights

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

awip2062

California: Just Plain Removing Your Rights

Post by awip2062 »

Ruling seen as a threat to many home-schooling families
template_bas
template_bas
State appellate court says those who teach children in private must have a credential.
By Seema Mehta and Mitchell Landsberg, Los Angeles Times Staff Writers
Parents who lack teaching credentials cannot educate their children at home, according to a state appellate court ruling that is sending waves of fear through California's home schooling families.

Advocates for the families vowed to appeal the decision to the state Supreme Court. Enforcement until then appears unlikely, but if the ruling stands, home-schooling supporters say California will have the most regressive law in the nation.
The rest of the article is here: http://www.latimes.com/news/printeditio ... 9394.story

Later in the article:
Teachers union officials will also be closely monitoring the appeal. A.J. Duffy, president of United Teachers Los Angeles, said he agrees with the ruling.

"What's best for a child is to be taught by a credentialed teacher," he said.
Oh yeah? This from a union of teachers of some of the worst schools in the nation? :roll:
Onward and Upward!
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

OMG that is unbelievable. Public school is about the worst thing that can happen to a kid. Yep, just sit back and watch your rights go bye-bye one by one or start a revolution? Who's with me?
We're all mad here!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I started in on the revolt back in 1991 when H turned 5.
Onward and Upward!
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

wow, that is pretty serious, sure the teachers might have credentials but the other students at school can make them very distracting and counter productive atmospheres..
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

There are good teachers, good classes, good schools out there. However to say that parents cannot teach as well as a person with a certificate is just plain false and easily disproven.
Onward and Upward!
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

As for myself, I must agree. I have been in many educational institution settings, and some of the wingnuts I have run into . . . well . . .

One thing I can say, t has it all over many of the "education professionals" i have come across.

I think this is a great way for California to shoot themselves in the foot in regards to their tax base. I think there are a good many homeschooling families that would pull up stakes and leave, kinda like we did.

They underestimate the backlash when you outlaw a lifestyle.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

One of the families mentioned in the article plans just that if this goes through and doesn't get overturned.

I knew a number of homeschoolers who were getting their teacher's degree back when we lived there because they feared such legislation as this court ruling would make.
Onward and Upward!