Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

ElfDude wrote:Image
I feel like that sound guy often. :oops:
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Okay, I should point out that the sound man was a very nice guy. We showed up and he remembered us from a year before, asked if I had brought the accordion...
I said, "You actually remember us?"
He said, "Yeah! You guys play my favorite song!"

He seemd a good guy... just didn't really seem to know what he was doing. :(
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

What was his favorite song?
Onward and Upward!
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

I roadied once for a friend.

The soundguy was a friend of the lead singer's, but for some reason he couldn't run the board correctly- the lead singer kept getting louder. The lead guitarist went over during the first break, broke his foot off in the soundguy's butt, told him how to run the board PROPERLY.

He was then fired after the gig, along with the lead singer. The lead singer is another story for another time though. :)
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

awip2062 wrote:What was his favorite song?
I didn't have time to ask.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

YYZ30 wrote:I roadied once for a friend.

The soundguy was a friend of the lead singer's, but for some reason he couldn't run the board correctly- the lead singer kept getting louder. The lead guitarist went over during the first break, broke his foot off in the soundguy's butt, told him how to run the board PROPERLY.

He was then fired after the gig, along with the lead singer. The lead singer is another story for another time though. :)
I have trouble with things like, "Where is that crackling coming from?", "Why is the bass cutting in and out now when I've done nothing to the board", and "How do I get that bassist to use his mic properly?!?!?!?!"
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

awip2062 wrote:

I have trouble with things like, "Where is that crackling coming from?", "Why is the bass cutting in and out now when I've done nothing to the board", and "How do I get that bassist to use his mic properly?!?!?!?!"
When I do our own sound, I have no choice but to get that stuff resolved before we go on. Gotta get everything working, set, and then leave it alone!
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

awip2062 wrote:

My guess was the soundguy was trying to showcase the singer. Seeing how the singer behaved after being tipped off that there was an A & R person from a larger label there checking out the BAND, I think the singer wanted his own gig and wanted to be fired from the band.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Thing is, stuff happens during the service that didn't during the check. Like this past Sunday, everything was fine with the bass until the last song and then it started pegging out and buzzing and snapping and I had not changed anything.

Wish I knew more so I could fix it.
Onward and Upward!
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

Hit it with a hammer.

Works for me.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Great pics Elf! I used to be a sound tech myself, so I can relate.

We like to keep levels "hot" to the PA, but we tend to forget about the
monitors and such.

Not sticking up for him though. That's why we do sound checks.

I'm assuming you guys do the Creedence version of Proud Mary...

I'm working up Creedence's "Have You Ever Seen The Rain" and it's
fun to play and sing to. Try it when you get a chance (if you don't play
it already).

Nothing wrong with padding the ol' set list! hahaha
Don't start none...won't be none.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

ElfDude wrote:
He seemd a good guy... just didn't really seem to know what he was doing. :(
He should run for a political office, then Image

I've been an engineer (no, not trains) for 20 years, and it's a little frustrating when you go to a show and hear/see some mook who's getting paid to blend, balance and deliver the sound (not to mention create dynamics, etc.) and monitors, and they fail at every juncture to do their job. Sometimes I just want to go up and backhand the loser and take over, but I think it's probably better to keep my nose out of it and let everyone involved learn a lesson. The band, crew and club owner all get a lesson in how difficult it is to know what those 2000 knobs, sliders and buttons do, and that you can't just turn it all on and sound like Led Zeppelin.

'Course I'm not referring to you Elf or t, as those are circumstances where you have little control over festival, charity or church gigs with a free sound guy and P.A., but when a sound company is hired and takes a cut of the meager pay a band gets for sweatin' it out, they had better be at least basically trained and know how to make a mix sound good.

'Sayin'?
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Sayin'!
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

My brother used to do sound for the House of Blues in Los Angeles years ago. I don't know how he did but he didn't get fired. :razz:

Actually when I went out to visit once the manager (a famous gospel singer--I forget her name now) did compliment him.

BUT that time I went there I sat behind him at the board watching him jump around like a cricket with his tiny flashlight in and out of the back pocket going bonkers on the buttons and knobs during the different musical acts. :shock: I never saw anyone so stressed in my life! Not for moi. :roll:

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Kares4Rush wrote:My brother used to do sound for the House of Blues in Los Angeles years ago. I don't know how he did but he didn't get fired. :razz:
There's a fun song about that place...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVOIAx2HORY