Geddy Up! It's time for Derby '08!!

Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, it's all here

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Me

Post by Me »

Colonel John is the one to beat he's just the better than the rest. I also like eight bells the only filly out of the 20 contenders Pyro is ok as is big brown the rest of the field is pretty even as times go. I try and factor pedigree, times and post posistions very little if at all depending on the horse. Wish I could find the day they were born and use the stars too LOL
At any rate I hope none of the horses get hurt this year and it's a lot of fun they are such majestic animals. Top 2 min in sports hands down and it's a challenge to pick them too.
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
Me

Post by Me »

Kares4Rush wrote:
Me wrote:I have been doing a bit of studying but not nearly finished yet. The top 2 horses so far are Colnel John and Pyro the speed and stamina are there with their proven track record and pedigree. Zhumor has the pedigree for the distance but not quite as fast as the other 2. There is A LOT more horses in the Derby now than there was a week ago it's going to be like a NYC subway at rush hour. :shock:
Then speed has nothing to do with it. It's the hoss who can push and shove the best and take a kick at the same time! :shock: :lol:
Speed perhaps will set a faster pace but many horses can't go that distance full out so stamina will be a factor. Eight Bells being the only filly and looks really well too, besides if you had something that big wanting you, you'd run like hell too. :razz: :-D
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
Me

Post by Me »

Kentucky Oaks is Friday and Eight Belles has drawn post posistion #12 for that race tomorrow the owner is going to make a choice as to race her in the Derby or keep her in the oaks depending on the post posistion she gets today. They are drawing for the Derby as I write, if anyone is interested in my picks for the Oaks let me know. However it seems as if only Kares, Wendy and I are interested in horse racing so next year I will just pm them seeing how no one even trys to pretend they are interested, like I do with foot ball.
Me

Post by Me »

The Field is set

Contenders List Derby Top 20 Future Wager Derby Contenders
# M/L Silks Horse Trainer Jockey Owner Breeder Graded Earnings
1 Cool Coal Man Nick Zito Julien Leparoux Robert V. LaPenta Farish, Hudson, et al $212,767
2 Tale Of Ekati Barclay Tagg Eibar Coa Charles Fipke Charles Fipke $738,000
3 Anak Nakal Nick Zito Rafael Bejarano Four Roses Thoroughbreds LLC Buckram Oak Farm $212,216
4 Court Vision Bill Mott Garrett Gomez IEAH Stables & WinStar Farm LLC Farish & Kilroy $331,872
5 Eight Belles Larry Jones Gabriel Saez Fox Hill Farms, Inc. Robert N. Clay & Serengeti Stable $210,000
6 Z Fortune Steve Asmussen Robby Albarado Zayat Stables, LLC Delahanty Stock Farm $329,000
7 Big Truck Barclay Tagg Javier Castellano Eric Fein A. Lakin & Sons $194,500
8 Visionaire Michael Matz Jose Lezcano Team Valor & Vision Racing LLC Reiley McDonald $202,500
9 Pyro Steve Asmussen Shaun Bridgmohan Winchell Thoroughbreds LLC Winchell Thoroughbreds LLC $1,020,000
10 Colonel John Eoin Harty Rafael Bejarano WinStar Farm LLC WinStar Farm LLC $720,000
11 Z Humor Bill Mott Rene Douglas Zayat Stables, LLC Jayeff 'B' Stable $579,000
12 Smooth Air Bennie Stutts Jr. Manoel Cruz Mount Joy Stables, Inc. Mount Joy Stables, Inc. $290,000
13 Bob Black Jack James Kasparoff Richard Migliore Jeff Harmon & Tim Kasparoff Gary and Marlene Howard & Bruce Dunmore $180,000
14 Monba Todd Pletcher Ramon Dominguez Starlight, Lucarelli & Saylor Mill Ridge Farm $515,000
15 Adriano Graham Motion Edgar Prado Courtlandt Farms Courtlandt Farms $310,000
16 Denis of Cork David Carroll Calvin Borel Mr. & Mrs. William K. Warren Jr. Westbury Stables $165,000
17 Cowboy Cal Todd Pletcher John Velazquez Stonerside Stable Stonerside Stable $207,660
18 Recapturetheglory Louie J. Roussel III E. T. Baird Louie J. Roussel III & Ronald Lamarque Charles Jacobi $300,000
19 Gayego Paulo Lobo Mike Smith Cubanacan Stables Hargus and Sandra Sexton $640,000
20 Big Brown Richard Dutrow, Jr. Kent Desormeaux IEAH Stables and Paul Pompa Jr., et al Monticule
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

No. 20 Post? Derby Favorite?s Handlers Say "Sure"

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/01/sport ... ei=5087%0A
Don't start none...won't be none.
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Posting Post time at 6:05 PM EST :-D

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

I just watched the replay on MSN. Wow. I didn't realize 20 horses raced at once. That is awesome to see.
This space for rent
Wendy

Post by Wendy »

Such tragic race results for Eight Belles

however

Big Brown :)
Now that's The Look! And a good one to remember the 134 KD.
I win. Not gloatin', just sayin'....
Sound verbalized tones touch textured feel scent wafted aroma see visualize observe sing dance live
Me

Post by Me »

I say you quite right
the look of disire
was surely on fire.
:-D
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

My friend won. And my Dad. My Mom won some money on the beautiful Eight Belles :( on an across-the-board bet.

My friend (who tends to be a bit crass) said before the race, "Post position 20? Who cares! Look at that ass! No-one's going to beat that horse!!" :-D

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

what an exciting race, I was never much into horse racing, maybe I will be now.. the pure raw power.. very sad about Eight Belles... why do they have to put a horse down because of that? It seems they could fix it. I mean her racing days are over, but did her life have to be over too? very sad.. :(
Happy 2015!
Me

Post by Me »

Cool Soup, I hope you do it's the sport of Kings and your a king in my book :-D Unfortunately yes, they may overload their other legs, causing a condition known as "laminitis." If that happens, the hooves on the other legs will start to separate from the bone, and his weight will be driven into the soft flesh of the feet. He may also develop life-threatening constipation as a side effect of the anesthetic, that's just one problem.
I had 20 one dollar picks that I was playing the superfector that were all written down in numbers, however I had 4 horses that I wrote their names out on in large letters wanting to place one big bet for ten dollars in exact order. I left them on my night stand and forgot all about them and YES I HAD THEM RIGHT! IT PAID 58 THOUSAND SEVEN SEVENTY THREE ON A TWO DOLLAR BET I WOULD OF BEEN A VERY HAPPY MAN BUT THE DUFUS IN ME, FORGOT UGH!!!

The Preakness is next and yes they are absolutly magnificent animals.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

I have to admit, I watched the race for the first time in decades, but
that will be the last after watching that beautiful filly go down.

She ran her heart out.

The wife cried. It just looked so surreal...

They need to follow Europe and use the composite track material.

Do fillies usually race with the colts? I thought that was unusual,
but I really know nothing about it...
Don't start none...won't be none.
Wendy

Post by Wendy »

If you watch sporting horse events of all kinds, accidents are common.
Chuck Wagon races are notorious for crashes, Steeplechase, Sulky Racing, Hunter Jumper Competitions, Rodeo, all are dangerous games not for the feeble of heart. All hold the possibility of injury to horse and human. However, horses need to earn their keep too.

Accidents happen, then we humans try to sort out the cause to prevent the next and so on. It is the nature of the beast. Watch how wild horses fight each other and you can see just what kind of physical stress a horse can tolerate. Race horses are a finely tuned machine and breakdown can be due to many factors. Fillies do race with geldings, it's common. It depends on the pedigree of the horse and race entry fee, not gender, whether they get in a particular race or not. Then there is a special veterinary exam prior to racing, if the vet declares horse unfit to race, no race. As there is a blood and urine analysis done after to Win, Place and Show for performance enhancing substances.

So there are preventive and security measures in place, unfortunately, accidents are the unpredictable variable. Don't claim the last race. The excitement of a seeing a well trained winner win a hard fought battle is an undeniable thrill.
:headbang:
Sound verbalized tones touch textured feel scent wafted aroma see visualize observe sing dance live
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

Soup4Rush wrote:I mean her racing days are over, but did her life have to be over too? very sad.. :(
I thought the same thing, my hay chewing friend.....but somehow I didn't know that horses can't lay down. Their weight means their insides would crush everything and kill them. Why I didn't realize that is beyond me, but a horse owner here explained it to me.

Sad indeed.