25 Facts About the Pharmaceutical Industry

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Xanadu

25 Facts About the Pharmaceutical Industry

Post by Xanadu »

http://noedb.org/library/features/25-sh ... l-industry

None of it is good but #3 really pisses me off. That's what you're paying for because it works, for them.
We're all mad here!
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

My doctor always asks me if I want the brand name or the generic name drugs when I get a perscription. I think she don't like the way the pharmaceutical companies rip us off.
This space for rent
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Good they give you the choice. In my opinion why the hell would you not get the generic drugs. Its the same damned compound no? The exception being when a drug is still monopolized by its patent ofcourse.
Me

Post by Me »

I knew for awhile it's all a game and the dollar is king. Unfortunately marijuana is illegal being one of the better medices in my mind and again unfortunately it won't become legal becasue the pharmacuticals would lose revenue. Of course as you know this is my opinion and if I could I would smoke it because of my medical condition however because of work I live on vicoprofen and Nerontin for pain and I have to take high blood presure meds and all those meds caused me to have prostrate problems so I take flomax for that and all those meds that are screwing up my body could be throw away if I could smoke a big fat duby :-D Possibly I'd still have to take high blood presure meds but I am betting I wouldn't have to do that either almost not worth working. Gee I waffled on a bit much on that. At any rate thanks Xanny I am passionate about the the wrong doings of the pill pushing pharmacuticals. I will have to say something positive and they do a service that some people really need but
only for their gain and of course the stock holders which anyone of us could take advantage of. Clue that's how people get to be well off making sound decisions. Sorry don't want to get off topic not with this important subject
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
Me

Post by Me »

Sir Myghin wrote:Good they give you the choice. In my opinion why the hell would you not get the generic drugs. Its the same damned compound no? The exception being when a drug is still monopolized by its patent ofcourse.
I tried the generic brand for my high blood presure and it didn't work as well. I am not sure if it was the genric brand for the particular meds I am taking however it could be differnt they have many high blood presure meds
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
Me

Post by Me »

By the way I went back to the expensive one as it works well. However my insurance picks up a portion. I still would like to just try and see if some good strong Mary Jane would help.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Me wrote:
Sir Myghin wrote:Good they give you the choice. In my opinion why the hell would you not get the generic drugs. Its the same damned compound no? The exception being when a drug is still monopolized by its patent ofcourse.
I tried the generic brand for my high blood presure and it didn't work as well. I am not sure if it was the genric brand for the particular meds I am taking however it could be differnt they have many high blood presure meds
Generic OTC medicine barely works on me also. I have to get the DR. to get my meds in super size doses just to get the job done.

It is funny to see the pharmacist call the DR. to make sure they wrote the correct dosage. Funny, look at me, I'm freakin huge. :razz:

Pharm companies need an enema.
Last edited by Walkinghairball on Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
This space for rent
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

I can't take OTC pain meds...the herb needs to be legal. For a while I thought it was just me but I'm finding more and more people that are like that. Their bodies can't tolerate the side effects of NSAIDs and toxicity of acetomenophen. So unless their doctor is willing to prescribe some kind of opioid, they're fucked. Another lump of bullshit is the federal governement sending doctors to jail for prescribing pain meds when the stupid patient that misuses it (how is that the doctor's fault?) and all of this hype about people abusing pain meds on TV. So doctors are often afraid to prescribe drugs that the patient needs to control their pain. Chronic pain is a bitch anyway but when you can't take the OTC meds its even harder because most prescription drugs have that added. In some other parts of the world you can buy hydrocodone and codeine over the counter...it should be that way here. Those drugs are actually safer than the current OTC crap. If people misuse them, its THEIR fault dammit.
We're all mad here!
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

Some generics do not work for Mrs K either.
And of course the name brands we need are always the high priced ones.
Sigh.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I think it is the advertising that bothers me the most. I mean, really, the 30-second commercials on TV and those ads in magazines just frustrate me so! "Ask your doctor if such and such might be right for you."

Do you know how many people have watched and ad and then wondered if they might have the problem whatever drug was just touted is for?

ARGHH!

Not to mention the fact that I don't think we should decide what drugs we should be taking based on ads. research, yes, and I know the drug companies would say that their ads give us information about what is out there, but they so manipulate you with the ads commonly using themes such as time with your grandchildren to get you to want their drug.
Onward and Upward!
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Yup. Pharm companies can be evil. Both my sister and my Dad are doctors and they HATE the phamecutical companies. Well, are aware of the "nasties" that they can commit.

I take two medications for my blood pressure. One is name-brand and the other generic. I don't know why. :?

I agree marajuana should be legalized. Not for me. For some reason I can't handle any kind of narcotic and that includes pot. I have an awful reaction and start hallucinating or getting paranoid. :roll: I was a MESS when I broke my leg and they gave me Percacet and I made them switch me to Codiene even though it didn't do much for the pain. But I digress.

My father is an ultra-conservitive man but even he thinks marajuana should be legalized. He helps so much in pain management, etc. in cancer patients, or others in chronic pain like Me.

What the heck am I on about? :? :lol:
Last edited by Kares4Rush on Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

You're telling it as you see it, Kares! :-D
Onward and Upward!
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

Kares4Rush wrote:I agree marajuana should be legalized. Not for me. For some reason I can't handle any kind of narcotic and that includes pot. I have an awful reaction and start hallucinating or getting paranoid.
Man, why not me? LOL j/k On the other hand opioid dreams are the best, falling asleep is nearly psychedelic. *has to take opioids on occasion for chronic condition, but kinda likes it* :twisted:
We're all mad here!
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Opiates make you nice and happy and everything is great, I too have had to take opiates on occasion, sometimes I wish I'd had some doctors only gave them to me in emerge once and someone stole 1/2 mine. For the one I'd need every 2 months or so they went a long way.
Me

Post by Me »

I take A LOT of narcotis everday for pain and the wierd dreams are part of the game (so to speak) and I do enjoy them 99% of the time. I expect they aren't for everyone. I believe that the gov would use the doctors in certaint circumstances to minipulate them too as in do this or else. I am very bitter about the marijuana issue if our gov was really concerned about our health, it would be legalized for doctors to prescribe it and not just for aids or cancer either!