Global Malnutrition Due to Overeating Is Equal to Starving

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Xanadu

Global Malnutrition Due to Overeating Is Equal to Starving

Post by Xanadu »

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... ating.aspx

According to experts, development has brought about a new global scourge -- widespread malnourishment among overweight individuals eating calorie-rich, nutrient-poor diets. In fact, the world's population of 1.2 billion overfed and undernourished individuals now equals those starving from a lack of healthy food.

The world is in the midst of a nutrition crisis, and the impact of the global 'nutrition crisis' is large, but also largely unrecognized. According to the report, hunger declined slightly, especially in Asia and Latin America, over the past few decades. A recent UN report estimates that 790 million people now experience hunger daily, compared with 918 million in 1970. However, at the same time, increasing affluence has triggered a global boom in unhealthy overeating.

Consumption of fat and sugar has surged far beyond earlier levels as people eat more livestock products and as oil and sugar are added to foods of all kinds. In fact, fatty and sugary foods have in large part replaced fruits, vegetables and other nutrient-rich foods in the diets of millions, so much so that "one-fifth of the 'vegetables' Americans eat are French fries and potato chips." The result? High levels of obesity, surging cholesterol levels, and deficiencies in important vitamins and minerals that leave overweight individuals prone to chronic disease.

The authors also point out that the condition of being overweight or obese is no longer found only in wealthy nations. For example, the numbers of overweight people in the Chinese population rose from 9% to 15% between 1989 and 1992, with similar increases charted in Latin and South America and Europe. Besides the starving and the poorly overfed, the Worldwatch report points to a third group of several billion people at risk from malnutrition.

Described as the 'hidden hungry,' these people appear to be adequately fed, but are nonetheless debilitated by a lack of essential vitamins and minerals. Food companies tend to make more money from processed, high-calorie foods, and aggressive marketing campaigns capitalize on the natural human desire for fat and sugar. In America, trends toward 'supersizing' meals have led to an unrealistic image of what consists of a 'normal' food serving, while deep-frying has allowed citizens of less affluent nations to take in large quantities of fat without upping their meat intake.

"State of the World 2000" report, published by the Worldwatch Institute, a Washington, DC-based independent research group.
We're all mad here!
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

go go gadget candy bars!

You see a lot of problems of people who are overweight and sometimes eat much less than I do. Simply bad choices in what they eat , or they eat junk and leave themselves hungry so they eat more. I was going a bit down that road I suppose but it was never overly severe.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

There's much to be said for eating foods that aren't pre-prepared. It takes more time, but it is cheaper and better for you.
Onward and Upward!
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

Less time on TV more time w/ healthy food, it goes hand in hand :-D
We're all mad here!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Sir Myghin wrote: You see a lot of problems of people who are overweight and sometimes eat much less than I do.
Guilty as charged. :oops:
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I have noted that when my allergies are really bad in the spring due to the cottonwoods and maples doing their thing, that processed foods make my allergies harder to deal with.

If I drink water and clear teas without sugar, creamer, or cocoa, no coffee, eat no white sugar or foods high in white sugar or flour, and stick with fresh vegetables and fruits, whole grains, that sort of what many today call a back-to-basics diet, the allergies calm down, although they don't go away.
Onward and Upward!
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

Hey awip, try eliminating grains completely...it may work. Seriously, you don't need grain in your diet at all...every nutrient found in grain you can ged a lot easier from other foods. There is NOTHING is grain that you can't get from other food sources. Grains actually prevent absorption of other nutrients in the other foods consumed with them. That can affect your immune function as well. If you want more info on that let me know. Also try eating raw unfiltered local honey, that helps with the allergies too. My allergies were killing me until a month ago I cut out grain in my diet completely (well ok I did eat pizza one day but erm...) I can tell a huge difference in my energy level, digestion and allergies...etc.
We're all mad here!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

All grains, hmmmm....if I did that, with the few meats I eat, I'd be eating mostly fruit and veggies.

But that is probably a good thing! lol

I've heard about the honey, but been too lazy to get out to the local store that sells it and get some. Stupid American.
Onward and Upward!
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

LOL :-D
We're all mad here!
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

no grains!! but what about bread, and cereal, and oatmeal, and rice, and pasta :P oh and crackers!
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

None :twisted:
We're all mad here!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

*whimpers* pizza....

Oh but Leon would be happy to never again see mustard crackers! LOL
Onward and Upward!
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

Pizza...I know. :( and Pad Tai noodles, Orzo, biscuits...ok once in a while and I mean not much, it can't hurt too much can it? :-D
We're all mad here!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I dunno if I could go that radical on a diet without my life depending on it (at this point in my life).
Onward and Upward!
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

awip2062 wrote:*whimpers* pizza....

Oh but Leon would be happy to never again see mustard crackers! LOL

And how sister.
:razz:
This space for rent