Making Money off Our National Security?

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

awip2062

Making Money off Our National Security?

Post by awip2062 »

Have you all see this yet? It's called "Clear". You get a card and it speeds you through airport security.

From an ad:
Clear? is the fast pass for airport security. Clear members are pre-screened and provided with a high-tech card which allows them to access designated airport security fast lanes nationwide. Clear members pass through airport security faster, with more predictability and less hassle.

Clear's first year price is $128.
Check out the price for the first year! Now, I am sure if you travel frequently, the time and hassle you save might be worth $128 to you. But, does anyone else here other than me see this as a way to make money off of those American people who are harmless anyway?

So, how does it work?
How clear works

Whether you?re a business traveler, frequent flier or leisure traveler, as a Clear member you won?t wait in airport security lines.

Apply

Clear?s simple, two step enrollment process begins online. Applicants create an account and fill-in basic biographic information. Then, applicants must go to a Clear enrollment location, where our attendants will verify two forms of government-issued identification, and capture a photograph, your fingerprint images and your iris images. This information is used to allow you access to the designated Clear lane at the checkpoint.

Welcome to the Clear Lane

The Clear lane is a designated lane at the security checkpoint. Clear Members must verify a fingerprint or iris image (collected during enrollment) in order to enter the lane.
At the Clear lane, a Clear attendant will greet you and check your boarding pass, Clear card and government-issued photo ID. You will be asked to insert your Clear card into the kiosk, which also verifies the fingerprint or iris image that you selected during enrollment.

Clear members still proceed through metal detectors and x-ray machines operated and regulated by the Department of Homeland Security but other parts of the process are expedited. When you approach the lane, our attendants will help you with the bins and to get ready to go through the checkpoint. This alone helps our lane speed by as much as 30%!
Oh, and this all sounds like it would be great, eh? In and through quickly, making travel just so easy. But it's only in 21 cities, and may not be accepted at one of those cities starting mid next year, plus Clear wants YOUR help in getting them in to more airports. LOL
Don't see your city on the map?
We encourage you to write to your local airport about registered traveler. We have provided local airport contact information below.
Now, on the one hand, I am all for free-enterprise and making a buck where you see a chance, but for some reason this is just hitting me wrong. Sadly, I can't help but wonder what the government is getting out of this. The information on fingerprints and iris scans, perhaps?
Onward and Upward!
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

But how does that keep someone from smuggling a freakin bomb or sommat again. I'll take off my shoes to stop that from EVER happening again. Inconfreakinvienent or not.
This space for rent
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I don't see how knowing who you are keeps you from terrorism. Never have gotten that part.
Onward and Upward!