Concert review, Mountain and Satch

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Sir Myghin

Concert review, Mountain and Satch

Post by Sir Myghin »

To begin with the opener, lets talk mountain. I had never heard of them before this show. Their bassist having been killed by his wife was replaced by the bassist from the michael shenker group. Very good bassist. I had not known mississippi queen was a mountain song. They played a lot I didn't recognize of their own, including nantucket sleighride, and a dylan cover / crossroads (cream cover). All outword appearance asside, Leslie can belt it out very very well for a man who looks (and is ) as old is he is. He also plays quite well. The drummer is insane, the only thing on his kit miked were his cymbals, and you could hear him clearly. He drums moved ALOT when he hit them, he just thrashed them (Corkie Laing). He also let sticks go on any whim to fly somewhere (hopefully not taking someone out) either way, a relatively legendary performance on his part I would say. This band was odd in the sense of the guitar solo, the band would fade out, and leave leslie centerstage playing his solo, all else is silence, but he still carried it very very well. him playing guitar w/o drums or bass at many portions left a interesting impression, and the fact that he can do it without losing the audience is stunning.

As good as mountain was, Satriani was 100x better. I had always though Joe was short based on videos I'd seen, but he is over 6' looked like, skinny legs, decent arms, and huge feet in red sneakers. He played a lot of new tunes and the right balance of old, he guitar work was ofcourse impecable. He is very alive when playing, very interactive, you can tell he loves it. The band played extremely well together and you could also tell they were all having a ball. Stu Hamm was there on bass and DAMN, that guy is fine. He doesn't always strut it but he knows when to add that 1 note to make all the difference. His bass solo on the other hand, starting with some chord melody, beautiful stuff, then out to INSANE slapping with his fingers popping seemingly independantly to the thumb laying down steady pedal. Tapping country double stopping all while waddling and shuffling around the stage, it was both hilarious and humbling.

Joe is a really weird guy. His new song ghost was pretty cool too, however the dialogue leading in was hilarious, here is the jist of it. 'Well alot of people have seen ghosts, and I haven't. I kind of want to as it would be cool but kind of creepy. But I do not want to meet any ghost, I want to see a guitar shredding ghost. Like a Steve Vai or John petrucci ghost. Playing stuff on guitar you can't even play. Then you will just look over and say oh its alright petrucci ghost. '

He combined a lot of very mellow music with some hard driving stuff, saving the really upbeat like surfing / summer song for the end and encore. A song that really caught my eye was another new one about a turkish traveller meeting him somewhere, I think it was Asik Veysel.

The encore was a lot of fun but the closer, he strapped on one of leslie wests axes (les pauls Jrs I believe) and called him out to sing and play down down down. With both those guys on the stage it was pretty damned awesome. Was also interesting to see Joe in a gibson, not to mention a matching one to leslies.

The show was phenominal and asside from the 2 idiots who insisted on standing for applause after every song (would not have been so bad if we weren't in the balcony hence they obstruct everyone elses view entirely). Yeah I think sitting through concerts is weird too, but thats seems to be how things go around here unless you are in the pit section. There was no pit in this particular show either though.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Excellent gig you attended there, Dweebers! :-D Thanks for the review.

When are you going to see Satch again? ;-)
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Re: Concert review, Mountain and Satch

Post by CygnusX1 »

Sir Myghin wrote: I had not known mississippi queen was a mountain song.
that's blasphemy here. :razz:

You need to add Classic Rock 101 to your class load! :P

Did Leslie West look like he just got back from the buffet table?

that's a big boy....but he can still play.
Don't start none...won't be none.
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

he is big but not huge or anything. His use of kill switches on signal pickup guitars also was very interesting, thought that came about a lot later in the mix so to speak.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Sounds like a great time. I'd love to see Stu Hamm.....oh no, here it comes again...

Mmmmmm Stewed Hammmmmm...
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Did he play any of "Lucy and Linus" during his bass solo?
This space for rent
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Walkinghairball wrote:Did he play any of "Lucy and Linus" during his bass solo?
couldn't tell you
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Have you ever heard L&L?
This space for rent
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Walkinghairball wrote:Have you ever heard L&L?
I just youtubed it, very simple, the tapping he was playing had much more bravado.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Dude...Bravado is a Rush song. :roll: ;-)
Onward and Upward!
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Sorry Asik Veysel is a tribute to a turkish folk musician but this is the song he said was about him meeting a turkish travellor or somesuch (maybe they are one in the same) Andalusia

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UAaND1Q5Ux8&NR=1