Keep finding new ones

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

LisaBug2112

Keep finding new ones

Post by LisaBug2112 »

Noone replied to my Killswitch thread, guess noone listens to them. But thought i would post another one i found anyway. Nightwish, really love their stuff.
"Like a flower in the desert that only blooms at night i will quietly resist I dont have faith in faith i dont believe in beliefs you can call me faithless i still kling to hope & i believe in love and thats faith enough for me."
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

I have heard them a few times when at t's place, but other than than not so much. I liked what I heard, but have not persued more listening. I will have to do that and get back to this thread.
This space for rent
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

Just started listening to Nightwish, actually downloaded three bootlegs, 2 audio and 1 video, once I convert it from PAL (damned Europeans) I intend on giving it a watch.
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

I would guage nightwish as alright but in the world of european power metal they are bottom of the barrel, much more poppish, an in that sense much more appealing to a wide variety.
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

Sir Myghin wrote:I would guage nightwish as alright but in the world of european power metal they are bottom of the barrel, much more poppish, an in that sense much more appealing to a wide variety.
And that's what some of us like- We all aren't into hardcore stuff like yourself.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Killswitch is not among my CDs, but Nightwish gladly is! I was introduced to them while visiting my daughter in NY. One of her drum teachers put on their End of An Era DVD on after her lesson and started up The Phantom of the Opera theme, then showed us a few other songs. When I got back home, I got a CD, then another, and last year on Halloween took my kids to see them. We enjoy them muchly.

I disagree with MyDweebs on them, though. I don't see them as power metal, but symphonic, and I've yet to find a symphonic metal band I prefer to them, but that's me, and Myg can be Myg...I guess. ;-)
Onward and Upward!
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

awip2062 wrote:Killswitch is not among my CDs, but Nightwish gladly is! I was introduced to them while visiting my daughter in NY. One of her drum teachers put on their End of An Era DVD on after her lesson and started up The Phantom of the Opera theme, then showed us a few other songs. When I got back home, I got a CD, then another, and last year on Halloween took my kids to see them. We enjoy them muchly.

I disagree with MyDweebs on them, though. I don't see them as power metal, but symphonic, and I've yet to find a symphonic metal band I prefer to them, but that's me, and Myg can be Myg...I guess. ;-)
I like Epica's early stuff and Nightwish myself.
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

YYZ30 wrote:
Sir Myghin wrote:I would guage nightwish as alright but in the world of european power metal they are bottom of the barrel, much more poppish, an in that sense much more appealing to a wide variety.
And that's what some of us like- We all aren't into hardcore stuff like yourself.
I don't listen to anything 'hardcore' I just prefer stuff like stratovarius, sonata arctica, Ayreon, Hammerfall, Iron Savior, Symphony X, etc. And where nightwish is a little over the top hammed up, epica makes them seem tame. As far as the synthier "symphonic" stuff goes, kamelot is pretty good but I do not find myself drawn as much to that. 'Hardcore' is actually a different type of music altogether, emo hard rock with weenie screamo, and frankly I can't abide anything where folks scream instead of sing. It sounds like trash to my ears. For a lighter well synth complimented band I would recommend England's own Power Quest.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Listening to Phantom of thr Opera from Nightwish right now. :-D

I think the bass player would play better if his chin wasn't tied in two knots. :razz: :razz: :razz:

This live version I am listening to is freaking rocking my butt off!!!! :-D
This space for rent
Walkinghairball

Over the Hills and Far Away............................NOT A ZEPPELIN SONG AT ALL! :razz: :razz: :razz:

Kinna cool though.
This space for rent
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I believe it is the Gary Moore Over the Hills and Far Away that they cover.

As for Marco's beard.....I think it's kinda cute.

*looks for drool bucket*

Can't believe it's been 362 days since I saw them!
Onward and Upward!
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

awip2062 wrote:I believe it is the Gary Moore Over the Hills and Far Away that they cover.

As for Marco's beard.....I think it's kinda cute.

*looks for drool bucket*

Can't believe it's been 362 days since I saw them!
Aye it is, the male vocal single edition cover >> the female vocal one too. Pretty sure they borrowed Toni Kakko for that one
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I think I only have it live, so it's got Tarja and Marko on mine.
Onward and Upward!
LisaBug2112

Post by LisaBug2112 »

Well i love music with Orchestral & other types of sounds in it. I like just about anything other than Rap or country really.
"Like a flower in the desert that only blooms at night i will quietly resist I dont have faith in faith i dont believe in beliefs you can call me faithless i still kling to hope & i believe in love and thats faith enough for me."
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I don't care for rap, but I like country. I don't care for most music with the cookie monster vox, though. I like more genres than I dislike by far.
Onward and Upward!