Ihasahotdog

When you have no clue as to what you want to say

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

And this one is for all my techie friends out there!
Onward and Upward!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Onward and Upward!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Onward and Upward!
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

awip2062 wrote:Xanny likes labbies, Xanny geds labbies!

dang I would like a lab but refuse to be so cruel as to keep one in my appartment (others here apparently do not feel the same) , so many up for adoption, looked like a whole litter.
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

You can keep them in an apartment as long as you provide plenty of exercise and mental stimulation (obedience, agility, tricks etc.). You have to do that anyway, doesn't matter where you live. As long as the dog is tired and gets to use his mind constructively, he'll be mellow indoors.
We're all mad here!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Xanadu wrote:You can keep them in an apartment as long as you provide plenty of exercise and mental stimulation (obedience, agility, tricks etc.). You have to do that anyway, doesn't matter where you live. As long as the dog is tired and gets to use his mind constructively, he'll be mellow indoors.
TESTIFY Xan!

I kept a Yellow Lab in a mobile home for 12 years, and as long as WE got OUR excercise, WE were happy. :-)

Crazy thing would fetch sticks in freezing water! He'd watch boxing
matches with me too. Geez I miss that guy. :???:

Best dog I ever had, but he never got over thinking he was a lap dog!

If you sat on the couch, he'd back his big butt right up to ya and climb
up...hind legs first. LMAO :) Crazy thing... :-)
Don't start none...won't be none.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

My dog prior to Delta was a labbie. She was a puppy in her own mind her whole life. Had a half Dane half lab before her; same thing. Loving, intensely loyal, smart, smart, smart, and big ole babies. :-D
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

awip2062 wrote:My dog prior to Delta was a labbie. She was a puppy in her own mind her whole life. Had a half Dane half lab before her; same thing. Loving, intensely loyal, smart, smart, smart, and big ole babies. :-D
yeah they're silly smart. Almost to a flaw.

He got heartworm at age 10. We got him treated for it, but the vet made
no guarantees. He seemed to make it through okay, but a couple of
years later, he started to go blind and lame.

One day he wanted to go out, so I let him out to do his business.

He started lumbering toward the woods (which he never did after the
treatment - he stayed right by the house) and I lost sight of him.

He went to the woods to die, so he wouldn't upset us.

I found him three hours later laying in the woods. I was, at the same
time, upset - to the point of tears - but also in total awe of his actions.

How does somebody explain that?

LABS FRIGGIN' RULE.
Don't start none...won't be none.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Yeah, they choose a happy site away from family and just lie down to die. My half lab half dane did that. She dug her hole that she liked to nest in outside a bit deeper and was going to call it quits there, but Dan carried her inside so we could be with her. The full lab we put down before she got to that point. They just know and it seems like they don't want to be a bother. I'd think it was cuz they wanted to be alone, but the way the half lab reacted when we brought her in and were with her tells me otherwise.
Onward and Upward!
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Xanadu wrote:You can keep them in an apartment as long as you provide plenty of exercise and mental stimulation (obedience, agility, tricks etc.). You have to do that anyway, doesn't matter where you live. As long as the dog is tired and gets to use his mind constructively, he'll be mellow indoors.
I think they deserve a nice yard on top of that, I don't think keeping a large dog in smaller areas where it can't really roam to be nice to it. Nothing really to do with mellowness indoors so much as just raw space requirements.
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

Ummm...Myg....take him to a park...trust me on this, dogs do not need to live in a large space as long as they get excersize. I see many a dog roaming a backyard bored out of its mind. Backyards are not big enough to excersize a large dog...letting a dog roam the yard is not a substitute for daily excersize and training. I have a big yard and that does nothing for my big active shepherd...believe me. Besides, I have been working with dogs for over 10 years, including training, showing, grooming, rescue etc. I can tell you as long as you give the dog proper excersize and mental stimulation, an apartment is perfectly good enough.
We're all mad here!
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

A no parks in the area B when I have had dogs I give them a few miles walk a day, they were medium dogs, C I think they should have a nice yard as well as all the required attention. Otherwise I would feel as if I am depriving it of something it should have.

forgot D , if I have a not big dog he can't jump off my balcony in stupid puppy years (10ths floor)
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

Man that sucks there's not parks around you...hmmm chows are great apartment dogs with less excersize than labs plus they're smaller, not known for jumping. Chows don't tear up stuff, they're super clean, easy to housebreak...dunno if you like them though.
We're all mad here!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I couldn't have a chow unless I lived with someone who would brush it! LOL I hate doing doggy hair. Dobermans are good for me.
Onward and Upward!
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

When I was a kid, my best friend had a chow. We took it everywhere. it was a great pal and was a fierce defender of the home and people. Never hurt anyone without being told to, but the mailman couldn't deliver to the door. The dog would lay on his feet and show teeth. Very comical.